S-maxx issues, trying to get back into nitro RC but it's just not working out!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrasilian

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I introduced myself earlier, I need some help with my S-maxx. It has been sitting for a long time, and I did a few little things it needed to get it running. The fuel was old, yes it sat with fuel in it for a loong time! I got new fuel, put new fuel, took the glow plug out, turned it upside down and cranked the ez start for a few seconds, changed the glow plug wire, and made sure all batteries were fresh and charged, and it started!! woohoo, made my day. turned it off b/c I was in my house, walked outside to the garage, and started back up. Right away! gave it a little gas, and it was barely rolling so I turned it back to me, and looked it over, lifted the rear end up, and the wheels would respond to the throttle (maybe not that great), so I put it back down and gave it a little gas and 10 feet out, I gave it a bit of gas, and it screamed and smoked and poof. (I might've gave it a little too much throttle :\) I noticed some nasty fluids leaked out of it, and the glow plug was not glowing anymore. I took it to my LHS and guy told me I blew the motor and tried to sell me a 1.9 something for 150 bucks. I don't know anything about that. He said the old gas in the motor made it fry up, but that doesn't explain why it wasn't going anywhere while the motor was running fine. anyways now I'm super disappointed and don't know what to do!:(

Welcome. Before you spend money, READ READ READ! Search the site and ask questions.

It sounds like the clutch wasn't engaging. Traxxas does have a trade up program where for a fee they will replace your engine no questions asked. If I remember correctly, the S-Maxx had .15 in it. A Traxxas 2.5 should fit it no problem and have enough power. The 3.3 has more power but will require some drive line upgrades to handle the power.

This one has a 3.3 already in it from the factory. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293047.708501.jpg

I really don't have the money to put into this, so it might be a list cause :( I might just try to sell it the way it is. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293125.468012.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293136.917880.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293147.251528.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293157.835146.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293169.467983.jpg
Here are the pics you guys asked for. I might try to sell it.

Here is what leaked out of it when it cut off, motor isn't locked up or anything.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293308.184334.jpg

Some othersImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293331.634515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358293341.218013.jpg

all that crud was in your engine obviously. And that was likely the cause for the glow plug failure. try again.

But now I have fluid leaking, when I prime to start it it leaks out. That's why the hobby shop guy said it was blown.

I would seriously consider flushing out the pipe and the fuel tank, then installing a new plug. Then set the idle gap at 1mm or less, the hsn at 4.5 turns out, and the lsn at flush....take some more of your old fuel from the jug and try to run it. It will only cost you about 5 bucks for the plug. Maybe you'll get lucky.

---------- Post added at 9:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:17 PM ----------

Once you get it running again try to see if the clutch bell is spinning the spur gear, you may have to tighten the slipper clutch nut on the spur gear just a hair.

That all sounds good, but what about the dirty fuel leaking every time I have the ez start wand in? That sounds like a lot of work, just to still find out the motor is f'ed! I'm tryin to sell it and then I will buy a new model. Probably electric and 1:16 in scale, just bc it's smaller and quieter so I can run it at work all the time.

---------- Post added at 9:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:29 PM ----------

What I really want is another JATO 3.3. Only I can't afford it, and it's just too much for me to play with at work.

tried to sell me a 1.9 something for 150 bucks.

Your LHS is ripping you off, if he was talking about the Dynamite .19, they go for $110. I have one, and the only thing I don't like is the header hook up. It uses the stock traxxas header, but you have to use a spring, I found mine leaked...a lot. I need to really sit down and try to find some good o-rings to seal it, until then it'll sit on my bench. Pull the engine, wipe it down and then turn it over, look to see if you notice any cracks in the case.

Yea, that's the one. Thanks for letting me know. What do you guys think this thing is worth the way it sits? All the stuff with it, we just don't know if the engine is blown or not!

I had similar problem with a buggy I bought, done exactly the same thing I split the exhaust to take a look and It was full of oil just like that I just wiped the excess away new
Plug and it was good to go

Aight, I'm going to give it one more shot, and another $10!! I really do think something is F'ed though! I found another shop near me, and I am going before work tomorrow.

It's worth a shot, my truck was raving high and not moving to good either so I stripped the clutch out to take a look and all was okay' this may sound sully but it turned out the wheel but was loose and I was spinning all the power away through it !

should probably update your ebay post about the leaking fluids....i am looking for a tmaxx and i wouldnt be happy to get it and end up having more problems then what you listed... just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I thought I was specific in my post, I guess not. I added some more detail. Thanks for the tip, last thing I want is to mess up my 100% feedback, or have to pay for return shipping on an item this big. What so you guys think about the price in this condition? Fair?

I thought I was specific in my post, I guess not. I added some more detail. Thanks for the tip, last thing I want is to mess up my 100% feedback, or have to pay for return shipping on an item this big. What so you guys think about the price in this condition? Fair?

i can't say if its fair or not... to be honest I'm just getting into the hobby..

not sure if i can post this here since there is another part of the forum for it...
but since you are asking if its fair heres the link... if its against the rules sorry!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-S-M...racter_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item4ac07bf31d

You can't just assume the engine is junk. Crappy old fuel will not ruin an engine. Flush it out with more fuel from the jug or some wd-40. If it seems like a lot of work then maybe you need to get an electric truck.

I think that if someone bought this and found out the engine needs to be replaced, you can kiss you 100% feedback goodbye! I don't think that is an issue yet because no one is going to bid on it because the starting price + shipping equals $210. That would be a starting price on one that was like brand new and had less than 1 gallon of fuel through it. You need to figure out what the deal is with the engine before you sell it. And if you want to sell it you need to lower the starting price and do free shipping. If you allow people to bid on it instead of starting out high, they will fight over it and will end up paying for the shipping because it will sell for more. I realize that it's going to cost at least $25 to ship but a high shipping charge is detrimental to the sale because a lot of people look at the price of shipping first and if they think it's too much, they won't even bid. Or drop it down to like $10 or so.

Back