Rustler R1E Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree. Modeling clay does offer the advantage of better placement of a weight. I'm close with my tape method now. Figure to refine it better as time goes on. Baby steps, as it were. Do have to revisit the Avid bearing lube, though. Used Dave's stuff exclusively for RC drag racing. May be a better go-to than the Rem-Oil Teflon I'm using now.

In the image, the nut to the right with the two hash marks on the tape roll is the 2g wt. 'AC'

View attachment 153903
For bearing lube I really like Acer Sin Lube. I'm not sure how it stacks up to Avid but its been my go to for years.

Well guys. R1E project is a wrap. Tried a number of variations and came to the conclusion R1E is a good 50mph chassis. It really likes running in that speed range. Time has arrived to leave it at that and move on. Attached is final chassis config of the project, including, of course, the obligatory bottoms up image.

But stick around. More to come. This is not the end. Following on from lessons learned here is the R43X variant of the R1E. Thanks for continuing to look in. Cheers. 'AC'

20221105_153854_resize RCT.jpg

20221105_153925_resize RCT.jpg

20221105_153957_resize RCT.jpg

Thanks, guys. Transition to the R43X build is on like Donkey Kong.

NIB TRX #3728 Lower Chassis begins the project upgrade. Initially, bought this chassis to use as a template to transfer mounting holes to the G10 plate I was going to use as a lower chassis. Things have changed.

As posted to my MT10 project, 95PGTTech's excellent 1/10 ECX Ruckus 4x4 project got me hooked on speed running the grass. Carrying this thought over to the R43X project now has me building it as a dual-purpose street and grass runner. For that a more robust chassis is needed-ergo, the 3728 chassis is now the go-to for foundation of the build. Plan is to migrate as many of the chassis components from the R1E to this chassis as possible. With a few new ones on order.

New style 3728 chassis eliminates the manual speed control (MSC) servo bay and wall from the older style Rustler chassis. Allows for a full length LiPo 2S or 3S hard case battery. And yes, eventual 3S power or at least a run or two is an option for this build. Again, requiring a more robust chassis over a 2S G10.

She'll get a new power unit. Leaning toward a 4-pole sensorless 2s and 3S capable with a (minimum) 100A ESC. Staying with the TRX metal gear RPM tranny case 32P pinion/spur combo.

Anyway, "and away we go. . . " Cheers. 'AC'

20221106_132134_resize RCT.jpg

NIB TRX #3728 Lower Chassis begins the project upgrade. Initially, bought this chassis to use as a template to transfer mounting holes to the G10 plate I was going to use as a lower chassis. Things have changed.

As posted to my MT10 project, 95PGTTech's excellent 1/10 ECX Ruckus 4x4 project got me hooked on speed running the grass. Carrying this thought over to the R43X project now has me building it as a dual-purpose street and grass runner. For that a more robust chassis is needed-ergo, the 3728 chassis is now the go-to for foundation of the build. Plan is to migrate as many of the chassis components from the R1E to this chassis as possible. With a few new ones on order.

New style 3728 chassis eliminates the manual speed control (MSC) servo bay and wall from the older style Rustler chassis. Allows for a full length LiPo 2S or 3S hard case battery. And yes, eventual 3S power or at least a run or two is an option for this build. Again, requiring a more robust chassis over a 2S G10.

She'll get a new power unit. Leaning toward a 4-pole sensorless 2s and 3S capable with a (minimum) 100A ESC. Staying with the TRX metal gear RPM tranny case 32P pinion/spur combo.

View attachment 155193

Sounds like a reasonable choice. :thumbs-up:

View attachment 155193
I didnt know they came out with an updated Rustler chassis! Thats awesome! I'm curious how the servo mounts and connects up tho :)

I didnt know they came out with an updated Rustler chassis! Thats awesome! I'm curious how the servo mounts and connects up tho :)
Hey Wolfie. Bought the TRX #3729 Upper Chassis to go with the upgrade. It has the servo mounts molded in. Fingers crossed it is industry standard servo spacing. Steering stanchions are also molded in and peg into the lower chassis. A feature I'm liking as rock solid steering linkage location is a must in a build for me. Have to wait and see if steering rod C-to-C length is same as what's on the R1E. No biggie to adjust with my turnbuckle linkage.

What I am curious to see is if the Kimbrough H-D Large Servo Saver will work in this application, or if only option to the TRX saver is an AL arm w/o saver. Time will tell. Cheers. 'AC'

Before getting too far into the transition build, here is the final disposition of the R1E chassis for archive. Replaced parts transferred off the R1E with back-ups from the basher stash. This puts the main chassis back to original race specs enough to support the legacy body.

'AC'

20221113_130309_resize legacy R1E.jpg

Well, guys. Slider is done. "JAFR" (Just Another Friggen Rustler ;) ).

Spent yesterday trimming and fitting cardstock for an airdam template. Probably end up making one or more with different drops and widths. Seeing how wide one can go without tire interference at full lock. 5" wide works for both street and grass treads.

She's not a roller yet. But close. ESC arrived in the post yesterday. Spektrum 85A sensorless. Using Axial self-tapping hex head screws where possible instead of the phillips head TRX in the basher stock.

Thanks for continuing to look in. Cheers. 'AC'

20221115_131857_resize RCT.jpg

20221118_131615_resize RCT.jpg

20221118_132225_resize RCT.jpg

Shes gettin' there :)
Going to try running without a locker diff this time. Just for grins. Built up a second TRX steel gear diff housing and filled it with AE 100K diff lube. Curious to see if it seeps out or if the viscosity is heavy enough to prevent that. Very stiff diff, but diff action is still there a bit. If this works satisfactorily, may change the 100K out for 200K. Run time will tell.

Swapped in a ST Racing CVD drive shaft kit. Uses the TRX pins at the tranny output dogbone end. Good-to-go there. Down at the hubs it uses a set screw attach to a flat spot on a pin. Think this is an area to watch. That and my blue threadlocker seemed runny with no consistency. It may be dead in the bottle. So, any developing problems may be on me more so than on the ST set screw.

Unboxed the Firma 80A ESC and surprise, surprise the attaching lugs fit the TRX holes in the new-style ESC mount. Always good when something comes together by accident rather than by plan.

Oh, and here's a sneak prevue of the body install.

Cheers, mates. 'AC'

20221115_132253_Rusty Resize.jpg

20221115_115345_resize RCT.jpg

I've never had the pleasure of running one but definitely in my crosshairs.

I've never had the pleasure of running one but definitely in my crosshairs.
Sure, give one a try. The Rustler is a highly adaptable and durable platform-as long as it stays within its design envelope. It is a deceptively simple design delivering adequate performance without a lot of drama. Never fails to satisfy. At least for me.

Tons of hop ups available. Reminds me in a way of the '55 Chev/283. Classic design for the ages. Cheers. 'AC'

R43X not a roller yet, but almost there.

Building as an eventual 3S package. She'll get shake-down runs as 2S. Figgered best to fit the 3S battery now while continuing to fiddle about with the chassis. Needed to space up the ESC plate using 1/8in (~4mm) G10 FG. Then modified the TRX hold down strap for the thicker 3S.

Settled for 50C on the 3S. It comes in lighter than a comparable 3S 60C. She's a bit on the pudgy side as it is so ounces are beginning to count.

The fun is in the build. Yeah, running is O.K. too, I guess. Cheers. 'AC'

20221127_143151_resize RCT.jpg

20221127_143602_resize RCT.jpg

Calling her a roller. The grass runner, at least. Trials begin using AE MT10 knobbies. Because it's what I have.

Street runner, she blew right by roller status to electronics install. Easier to mount the ESC to the plate before screwing it onto the chassis. 'Floating' the ESC above the chassis plate with an air gap below. Been my experience ESC's always run hot on the underside-even with a topside fan. Thinking an air gap might help dissipate excess heat.

So far, so good. Waiting now to transfer the 3300Kv sensorless 4-pole out of the MT10 into this chassis. That's the hold up on finishing the power unit and radio install.

Thanks for looking in. Cheers. 'AC'

20221128_144030_Resize grass roller.jpg

20221128_162425_resize street roller.jpg

R43X finally comes out of the shade and sees the light of day. Body off test run today. 50% throttle setting. She wants to run. Thinking this is going to be a good one. Weather looking like a run day next Saturday. Speed measured on a half-length 66ft rolling start straight. Baby steps for me until I know her set up is a go. For some reason this build has been a long time coming together.

2S x 5000 100C 7.4V LiPo, 85A ESC, 3300Kv sensorless. 3S x 5000 waiting in the wings once she certifies on 2S. 4000Kv 2S/3S sensorless on the wish list. A build/project is never done done. Cheers. 'AC'

20230111_144727_resize RCT.jpg

20230111_144827_resize RCT.jpg

You might want to put some sun screen on there, if it hasn't seen the light of day in a bit. ;)
Ha. Exactly, Doom! Wouldn't do for Rusty to get too much sun first time out.

She does have a parasol, though. TRX pre-painted Rock n' Roll body. Beats the heat in style.

Thinking about nicknaming Rusty, 'The Ayatollah', as in "Lord Humongous, The Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla". As in the movie 'Road Warrior'. Seems appropriate.

Thanks for looking in following along, guys. Cheers. 'AC'

20230111_145010_resize RCT.jpg

Last edited:
Back