Rustler 4x4 shocks and springs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenMax

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I wanted to know has anyone found any progressive spring that handles big jumps?

Upgraded my Rustlers ultra shocks to a TIN shaft, metal ends, metal caps, 50wt oil with the stock 2 hole piston. Definitely bottoms less that stock, no shocks have broken broken from the big jumps, and I can still see the suspension working at low speeds.

However I am still bottoming, not always but more than not. I have a few solutions I wanted input on.

1. Go to the single hole shock piston.
2. Go up to maybe 65wt oil
3. GTR shocks and springs, but are they worth it over what I have now?
4. Keep the shocks I have now and order a stronger spring? I see mine are color coded but I don’t know the coding.

If anyone can link me to a good progressive spring for an ultra-shock or can help out with some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Steven
68AFD95C-EBBC-459A-83D3-12F0BE44C082.jpeg

Honestly to me it sounds like you have them where you want them. If you go stiffer, your rig won't perform well on smaller jumps. It will be too stiff and bounce all over the place. Chassis slap is pretty much normal so I would leave it just the way it is.
Just my opinion mind you and its what works for me.

on my offroad rc i like to run a thicker oil from 75wt tp 91wt try the 65 w 1 hole . you might get what your looking for

Honestly to me it sounds like you have them where you want them. If you go stiffer, your rig won't perform well on smaller jumps. It will be too stiff and bounce all over the place. Chassis slap is pretty much normal so I would leave it just the way it is.
Just my opinion mind you and its what works for me.
I do agree, I think the suspension tuned this way works good, but I should have said I added aluminum parts and if that increases weight I thought maybe going up to the next color stiffness for the front and rear might make things even out.

I have added aluminum ends at all 4 corners
Aluminum shock caps and lower mounts
Traxxas aluminum motor mount
Aluminum collar on the slipper shaft
Aluminum from and rear shock towers
RPM arms front and rear
Aluminum motor heatsink with fan
ESC fan/cooler
Traxxas steel CV shafts

Maybe with all that added weight is what I should have included with my original paragraph lol.

Mine is the Stampede 4x4 and the only thing I have upgraded is I added a aluminum drive shaft and aluminum shock caps. I usually don't upgrade unless absolutely needed.
I would try TNTs suggestions and go from there.

If you chassis rolls when you turn, go with a stiffer spring. If it doesn't, go with heavier oil or less holes in the piston. Just make sure your front rebounds faster than your rear. Otherwise, you will keep landing nose first, unless you can control your truck in the air. Another thing you can do is put a soft rubber shim on the shock shaft to help stop the shocks just before the chassis hits the ground.

you can control the way your rc lands with either more speed or braking in the air .its amazing how well 1 can learn how to stick a landing with a rc.and not just jump 4 the moon.2wd or 4 wd I can nail almost any point when I jump.. was in a rc race a few years ago and I see track layout and a huge tabletop with 30 fet b4 landing ramp by the end of my second lap I could hit ramp at near full speed and land my b64 te any place on the landing ramp..

you can control the way your rc lands with either more speed or braking in the air .its amazing how well 1 can learn how to stick a landing with a rc.and not just jump 4 the moon.2wd or 4 wd I can nail almost any point when I jump.. was in a rc race a few years ago and I see track layout and a huge tabletop with 30 fet b4 landing ramp by the end of my second lap I could hit ramp at near full speed and land my b64 te any place on the landing ramp..

Yeah... me too... ;)

2020-0920-Stampede-Yorkville-BeforeTheCrash.jpg

The rear kicked up when it launched and I couldn't get it to recover. Lawn darted and snapped one of my GTR shock shafts on the front of my "slampede 4x4". I should have pinned the brake to front flip, but I thought it was landing a bit shorter on the downslope... it wasn't. :(

Hey everyone,
I wanted to know has anyone found any progressive spring that handles big jumps?

Upgraded my Rustlers ultra shocks to a TIN shaft, metal ends, metal caps, 50wt oil with the stock 2 hole piston. Definitely bottoms less that stock, no shocks have broken broken from the big jumps, and I can still see the suspension working at low speeds.

However I am still bottoming, not always but more than not. I have a few solutions I wanted input on.

1. Go to the single hole shock piston.
2. Go up to maybe 65wt oil
3. GTR shocks and springs, but are they worth it over what I have now?
4. Keep the shocks I have now and order a stronger spring? I see mine are color coded but I don’t know the coding.

If anyone can link me to a good progressive spring for an ultra-shock or can help out with some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
StevenView attachment 123534
GTR Shocks & Springs Plus 50 wt oil

Back