Running on rough ground

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankC

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Will running my Arrma Typhon 3s on flat but bumpy mowed grass fields damage it through vibration, etc., or is it built for this? Any experience in this?

Probably o.k. at out of the box speeds. Arrma website rates it at 50mph optimum surfaces. On flat mowed grass, probably low 40mph range.

Website parts and option parts does not list any option shock springs to soften and absorb vibrations at speed. Shocks listed come with 500CST oil-which works out to ~40wt. If you find the Typhon bouncing on its runs, maybe try a lighter oil WT, 35 or 30WT (350-420CST).

Speculating here, my runs on grass are made with an MT10. Hope this helps. Have at it and watch how the Typhon performs for you on that surface. Let us know, o.k.?
Yes, it bounces around like crazy!
Tires don't have a lot of sidewall to flex and absorb surface irregularities. How soft are the tires? If they are hard compound too, that will contribute to more bounce. Perhaps a different set of tires more suitable for grass? Don't know your locale-maybe ask your local hobby shop? 'AC'

Last edited:
Probably o.k. at out of the box speeds. Arrma website rates it at 50mph optimum surfaces. On flat mowed grass, probably low 40mph range.

Website parts and option parts does not list any option shock springs to soften and absorb vibrations at speed. Shocks listed come with 500CST oil-which works out to ~40wt. If you find the Typhon bouncing on its runs, maybe try a lighter oil WT, 35 or 30WT (350-420CST).

Speculating here, my runs on grass are made with an MT10. Hope this helps. Have at it and watch how the Typhon performs for you on that surface. Let us know, o.k.?

Tires don't have a lot of sidewall to flex and absorb surface irregularities. How soft are the tires? If they are hard compound too, that will contribute to more bounce. Perhaps a different set of tires more suitable for grass? Don't know your locale-maybe ask your local hobby shop? 'AC'
Thanks to all. It is currently “out of the box” equipped. There are many very large areas of those low cut grass areas around, courtesy of the local high schools. Very fun vehicle, though I find myself having a ball with the wltoys, Haiboxing, etc cheapo’s too in parking lots. I drive a school bus, and whenever I go on a field trip, I take some sort of car to play with. Never disappointed.

It will. Typhon is beast and a very versatile rig. ARRMA TOUGH!! 😆

You could also throw some Hoons tires on it and have a blast rippin' around parking lots.

Tune the shocks to your liking. You bought an off-road buggy... yes, run the thing in an off-road environment!

I just wanted to add one last suggestion. Bumps, and jumps put all kinds of forces on linkages and whatnots. I'd get into a habit of a pre-run/post-run inspection of things like wheel nuts, steering linkage, hubs, etc. etc., etc., for any signs of loosening screws/nuts.

It will. Typhon is beast and a very versatile rig. ARRMA TOUGH!! 😆

You could also throw some Hoons tires on it and have a blast rippin' around parking lots.
I have the Hoons! 😉
Tune the shocks to your liking. You bought an off-road buggy... yes, run the thing in an off-road environment!

I just wanted to add one last suggestion. Bumps, and jumps put all kinds of forces on linkages and whatnots. I'd get into a habit of a pre-run/post-run inspection of things like wheel nuts, steering linkage, hubs, etc. etc., etc., for any signs of loosening screws/nuts.
Thank you

I think you're fine. I've run my Slash through plowed fields and it's not pretty but it's gets through. The biggest risk is the stress on the drive train from the hits a full throttle. When it's air born the wheels spin freely at high RPM, it you land on full throttle the ground grabs the wheel hard.

Just keep the wheel speed to something reasonable (don't use a large pinion) and remember that the throttle has more than two states (Full on/Full brake).

I think you're fine. I've run my Slash through plowed fields and it's not pretty but it's gets through. The biggest risk is the stress on the drive train from the hits a full throttle. When it's air born the wheels spin freely at high RPM, it you land on full throttle the ground grabs the wheel hard.

Just keep the wheel speed to something reasonable (don't use a large pinion) and remember that the throttle has more than two states (Full on/Full brake).
Thank you