Runaway RPM

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxOutlawxX

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Brand new Hobao Hyper 30 engine I'm trying to break in..

It starts and dles for a few minutes. The idle starts to increase then as the engine gets up to temp, the RPM shoots to full throttle.

Carb is set for factory default for break in.

Any ideas as to whats causing this?

Sounds like an air leak of some sort. Was the kit running successfully here recently with the old engine in it?

One of the best pieces of advice that was given to me along with everyone else that was new to the hobby on this site was to seal your engine. This takes care of the air leaks and then leaves only the break in process.

This covers sealing:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/post-726317

Could also be loose screws on the backplate, cooling head or the carb isn't seated fully and the cinch bolt tightened. On many new engines, the cinch bolt is loose as they expect your going to adjust the carb angle anyway. But in an RTR, it's usually tightened, but may not be seated fully, so loosening it, twist it back and forth a bit as you press down on the carb, then while pressing, tighten the cinch bolt.

I've gotten new engines with loose backplate bolts and head bolts as well. Neither will end well for you.

This covers sealing:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/post-726317

Could also be loose screws on the backplate, cooling head or the carb isn't seated fully and the cinch bolt tightened. On many new engines, the cinch bolt is loose as they expect your going to adjust the carb angle anyway. But in an RTR, it's usually tightened, but may not be seated fully, so loosening it, twist it back and forth a bit as you press down on the carb, then while pressing, tighten the cinch bolt.

I've gotten new engines with loose backplate bolts and head bolts as well. Neither will end well for you.

Especially head bolts ,noticed that on a few new engines that I gotten!...:thumbs-up: