RS4 18SS pull start help? thanks guys...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tablist56

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey there folks, just build my rs4 18ss (<---god i hate typing that everytime btw lol), anyways i have started it 3 times. ie 3 break in tanks with wheels off ground. each time i start it, its a pain in the ass.

the pull cord seems to come out in hard jerks which makes it really hard to hold the car still and the glow plug at the same time.
The cord seems to come out smoothly only on a successful start.

when the wheels are on the ground the cord is even harder to pull!!! is this normal????

when the glow plugs out it can be pulled smoothly but when its in it feels like something is broken when i pull it due to the jerking motion.

man my lawnmower seems to be easier to pull than my rc car!! lol

this is what I'm doing...

1) fill 'er up!
2) prime until fuel reaches carb then prime 2 times more again.
3) hold glow plug ignitor on plug for 5 secs then short quick pulls. (this is my problem)
4) IF it starts remove gp ignitor and let car idle on its own.

i have tested all my glow plugs aswell and i make sure the area beneath the glow plug is not flooded with fuel too b4 i pull the cord.

plssssssssssss help this is driving me nuts!!!

thanks a million!

That jerking motion is perfectly normal; that is compression of the engine. You will probably hear a pop at the same time as it "jerks" or slightly after. That too is normal. If you never feel that, that's when to panic.

when the wheels are on the ground the cord is even harder to pull!!! is this normal????

Yes, it is normal. Keep in mind, you do not need to pull the pullstart cord all the way out. If you continue to do so, it will eventually break on you.

That jerky feeling you sense is actually compression and is a good thing. If that engine is cold, the glow plug is in and it still turns over smoothly, then you'll have problems.

As the engine breaks in and what not, it will become much, much easier to start. Just remember, use after run oil and return the piston to bottom dead center after you run it and it'll last a long time!

Welcome to RCNT! Enjoy yourself!

EDIT: Heartbreak, you got a web cam in my house or something?

I just broke in a pullstart HPI .15 engine. It was the same way as yours until it was fully broken in. I flooded it twice after about 3 tanks of break in. The last 2 or 3 tanks of break-in were the hardest as far as starting went on this engine. Not sure if the 18ss is similiar but maybe. Now it starts up easy. The primer on the .15 engine small fuel tank is a piece of crap. It takes forever to prime. Feels like a leak maybe. The one on my Tmaxx is the balls.

Monkey Wrench said:
EDIT: Heartbreak, you got a web cam in my house or something?

Yes, Monkey; and that thing you do at 2am is a little disturbing.... :wasted:

edit; You have to be careful with those primers. Keep them clean of dirt, so the oring doesn't get damaged, and don't hit them in a collision. Personally, the primer was the first thing to go on my maxx's tank; I capped the hole off with a screw and oring.

Now I just pull the pressure line off the pipe and blow it to prime. I've been thinking of one of those ofna primer bulbs placed on the pressure line.

Last edited: