[RS4 18ss] Destroyed tires in a few hours, pics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I finished break-in and I took my new RS4 18ss to a large parking lot. I opened it up and let it rip. This motor is very powerful, it has a lot of low-end torque and it keeps on pulling up to a fast top-end. It makes my Savage Picco 26 seem slow.

I was having a lot of fun with the car and I was pushing it very hard. I was doing a lot of power slides at high speeds and I did a bunch of donuts. I was definitely spinning the tires hard. I ran close to a full quart through the car.

At the end of the day my two rear tires were shot. The left rear tire has big holes on the inside edge and the right rear was almost as bad. See the picture below. My front tires look like they are worn a bit, but the wear appears to be fairly even across the tires. The tires are X-Pattern “D” compound rubber, which is supposed to High Grip-Short to Average life span.

Is this normal? I am not running excessive camber in the rear. I am running the stock camber setting. Should I try to run with less camber?

rs4_bad_tire.jpg

stop performing power slides and donuts and your problem will be solved. Tires, especially rubber, are not made to undergo such high stress. if you were doing this with foams, the results would be chunking.

so i can't do donuts and power slides when i finish getting my car together NOOOOO

Seems that you may have more traction on one side than the other. Check your suspension. Power slides will have an adverse effect to your tires. Can't say how much since I don't know where you drive or how well you drive.

Power slides and donuts will destry any tire, foam or rubber. When I used to run rubber tires, I could go through a set in one day and that was from just hard driving on a road course. Rubber tires are like regular tires on your 1:1. Pronation and uneven wear is from your alignment settings. Also, the type of foams on tghe inside will determine uneven wear as well. Get the preformed foams. Firm for the front, med firm for the back (HPI makes them).

Foams offer better traction and consistant performance. Dollar for doallr, it's almost the same. Other than that, you can run on a chunked tire. Blow out the rubber and you're done for the day.

The tires that came with my .12 SS did the same thing.They just wear out fast due to the soft compound. Try a good set of foam tires. I went threw a set of rubber tires just about every time I ran it until I got the foam ones.

when i had my rs4 pro 2 .i went thru tires like crazy also,
then i bought a set a duratrax slicks ,excellent tires fir just parking lot racing or bashing
i ran mine for like seemed forever and still looked new ,sold the car and the are still on that car to this day and that was last summer and yes he runs the crap out of it ,,
and you can't beat the price ,
heres the link to them from tower
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTU38&P=ML

8 bucks for 4 tires and foams just can't beat ,,even with a stick ,

Thanks.

It took me forever to get the tires off the rims. The spots where I used CA had hard, stuck-on rubber.

btw ross the tires i gave you the link for ,,trust me they will hold up to donuts drifts power slides all that ,my sons were way harder on it then i ever was lol

Sounds good racin_38. I have an extra set of HPI Split 6 Wheel 26mm Black Rims. They came with the car and I never used them because I bought optional HPI Split 6 26mm Chrome Rims I plan on getting the Duratrax Slicks and I'll mount them on my Black rims for parking lot drifting. I also plan to get these foams (front & rear) for when I run Diver :)

I am also considering these tools:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=VC1015&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEU91&P=ML

racin_38 said:
when i had my rs4 pro 2 .i went thru tires like crazy also,
then i bought a set a duratrax slicks ,excellent tires fir just parking lot racing or bashing
i ran mine for like seemed forever and still looked new ,sold the car and the are still on that car to this day and that was last summer and yes he runs the crap out of it ,,
and you can't beat the price ,
heres the link to them from tower
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTU38&P=ML

8 bucks for 4 tires and foams just can't beat ,,even with a stick ,

I tried the DuraTrax slicks last night in a parking lot. They gave decent grip but I put some wear into them after just two tanks even though I tried to avoid spinning my tires. I don't know how much longer they will last. At least they were cheap.

Back