Road to the 2024 Snowbird Nationals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I have decided to try to go to the Snowbird Nationals 2024. I have gotten into oval racing laity and this seems like a worthy goal and a real challenge. Plus most of my new found friends are going this year.
I have a car and I will build another later. For now I need to practice and get better at everything. I have twelve months to get ready. I’m going to run the outdoor dirt series from May through October. But I’m also at the same time I am going to be preparing full time for the carpet oval racing. This should be a fun journey.

It starts with reading the rules and reading them again so I comprehend them. And gathering information from any source I can find. I need to do things like start collecting data so I can track performance and work on weak areas. Also the van and pit equipment need to be sorted out better. I probably will get a new 4 bank battery charger and my van will need a full fluid service before a cross country trip. but for now it’s just competitions twice a week and one night a week of practice.

This is a link to the snowbird webpage.
https://www.snowbirdnationals.com/

They will be live online.

I wish I could go down to Myrtle Beach every October for masters of dirt (at Beach RC) That would be cool to experience. But I am just starting out so I think club racing is a good start to stuff.

I thought a name like snowbird would be up north. Yall like a hop jump and skip away from me. Unfortunately I dont do Osceola too much.

I wish I could go down to Myrtle Beach every October for masters of dirt (at Beach RC) That would be cool to experience. But I am just starting out so I think club racing is a good start to stuff.
Start planning now, set a goal like Iowa Crawler has done. Maybe not this year but next…. You are far more likely to succeed with a plan. I get the impression you’re a younger guy so this advice could serve you well. I’ve been winging it for most of my 48 years with mixed results….
To each there own, I’ll get off my soapbox

What I might do is start with big races at my local clay track (Track in Gaithersburg) I think they are doing a national race this Saturday and February 11th. My buggy is almost ready but I might go just to check out and stuff. If I go to the ROAR one then I might meet Spencer Rivikin. And others.
FB_IMG_1673976684971.jpg
FB_IMG_1673976449760.jpg

Masters of dirt is in October and it is like 5 day trip so I don't think I can go just yet. Cause of school 😐 But me and my uncle are thinking about bringing our buggies with us on summer vaca and going club racing at beach rc.

Another thing, I don’t have any expectations of winning the race. It could happen because I got off the couch and got in the arena.
But my goal is to have fun, learn a lot make some new friends and make some memories. Past that is gravy.

I have been doing some research into what I need to get to the Snowbird nationals.
Besides all the driving practice and competition practice I need some tools and knowledge

I want to run two classes of cars. Three is out of my budget and one car is kind of boring considering the effort to get there.
I have a car that is runs in a class called Busch light. But for the nationals I need a Busch pro car. So battery and body are all I need to make that change.
I will also run 21.5 super truck. This will require a whole new car.

I need to put together a notebook so I can start recording data and collecting run sheets.

I need to make set up sheets.

I want to have enough parts to repair anything that brakes at least twice.
So I’ll need to see what breaks and then collect the parts and maybe make an inventory list or something.

Tires.
This is something I just learned about. They cut the tires down to a minimum to reduce weight and they are basically good for one run in competition. So to race I would need four or five sets of tires. About forty bucks a set .
Now the machine that cuts the tires. They cost 700 bucks but I can maybe find one used. Or buy a harbor freight lathe.

Learning about batteries and resistance and motor and timing I honestly have zero idea about any of that. It’s just oval track racing . It’s simple just turn left.

Welcome to the world of big time RC racing.

Or why I bash now. 'AC'
Ya I know, I’m actually excited about it. For the last ten years or so I have played with a toy motorcycle. It’s a 250cc four stroke that runs on race gas and nitrous oxide. Went 123 mph a few years ago in Ohio. This is going to be so much more difficult. I sorta know my way around a racing motorcycle. But a pan car? I bought on and I look at it a lot. Bent a shock last Sunday. And that’s it .

EA5E4DE9-13F5-4BF5-B151-EF24429EC4E5.jpeg

A27269C9-4729-4597-B9EF-4574E1952FB2.jpeg

There is a track south of me and I have seen it. I plan to spend the summer running the outdoor off-road series.
I need to stay focused because of what it will take to pull this off.

First step is to decide to go.
Next step is to plan.
Then get to the starting line. Wait for the buzzer to go off.
After that throw away all the plans.

I am trying to understand the tire situation at the Snowbirds race. If I read it correctly, they give you four sets of tires for each class at the race.

Then you have to compete in four qualification heats. If you make the main you can buy or bring tires for the main.
But you will need to cut the tires down to reduce mass or the people that have lighter tires will beat you. So you need to cut the tires.
The manual machine to cut tires is under 200 dollars. The fancy automatic one is 700 dollars.

So if I want to run two classes and go all the way to the A main in both classes I need ten sets of tires. At first this seems a bit expensive and extreme. But they give you eight sets at the race.

The pros cut ten sets of tires put them in a special box that holds them and that way you don’t have to cut tires all night at the race. And after the race they have enough tires to race the entire year. And since you only really use three tires and the left inner does not wear out much you end up it’s kinda like an initial investment and you end up with a enough tires to be competitive at a National level for 600 bucks and enough tires to race at local track for a year or longer.

I can say tires make a big difference. And rubber tires and a bit advanced for me at this point.

This is what the tires that are going to the nationals look like. Apparently it’s a big deal.

View attachment 158686

View attachment 158687

There ain't no tires on them there wheels! 🤔 couldn't ya just wrap rubber bands around the rim

Once you get serious it can add up pretty quick. It's all a matter of what you get out of it. For me, I've never been that competitive so I wouldn't get my money's worth. But I completely understand it, when it's your passion it's totally worth the experience. :thumbs-up:

Last edited:
I have always raced stuff and if this is what it takes. Then you just gotta plan and budget for it. I have not even gotten to batteries. One thing I like is the motor rule. If you win the A main. Anyone else in the main can buy your motor. So cheating with the motor gets eliminated.

I had a nice experience at the track this afternoon. I went to the track to run my RJ Sprinter and it just got a new axle and I added some camber shims. I have a slight wheel hop issue and I wanted to see if any of that helped. I arrived at the same time as a guy that is obviously a veteran race and he designs his own chassis . He is going to the snow birds. So I asked about tires. Basically you have to buy the tires. They have the” handout tires” but you have to pay for them. And you need a bunch of them.

But as I was driving my spring car around I told him I was trying to get rid of the tire shutter. After talking to him he asked me about my radio set up. I handed him my transmitter so he could drive it. And he was all over the place at first. Then he asked me to make one change to the car and he showed me what changes to make in the radio. He showed me how to set up the steering speed and rate and travel.
My sprint car is a very solid car and it goes 4.5 second laps and I am trying to get it to 3.9 or even a 4.0 would be fun. After following his instructions that basically tried to make the car less darty. The car feels slower and smoother but still has the tire shutter. He said that is mostly track temp.
But after the adjustments to the radio I was running 4.2 with a couple 4.1s. Never slower than 4.4. It’s amazing that just changing the radio setting picked up two tenth of a second per lap and went a personal best with that car instantly.
I’m so appreciative that he took the time to help me .
Makes this game fun.

I have always raced stuff and if this is what it takes. Then you just gotta plan and budget for it. I have not even gotten to batteries. One thing I like is the motor rule. If you win the A main. Anyone else in the main can buy your motor. So cheating with the motor gets eliminated.
Wha wha what????
I thought you said Someone can buy your motor

Back