Rival mt10 4s upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a suggestion for Front bumper support? When I let my kiddos drive, we break that thing constantly.

Wow. No one responded to help. I’m sorry for that. But on cults 3d someone made the mount and they will print it for u but it’s the same price as buying part number asc25801 which is better cause u get a lot more for the money. My opinion

Anyone have a suggestion for Front bumper support? When I let my kiddos drive, we break that thing constantly.
I've used an old tire's closed cell insert on a RC that had that same ovalized (shock absorbing) area of the bumper. It stiffens up that area, but still allows the bumper to flex.

My MT10 has been fun, bone stock, for six months now. Nothing has broken, or been replaced, running good 2s batteries. I find I have far fewer problems, and good performance, staying under OEM power ratings (one step under speced max cell count), on most RCs. Mod away, if you like, just understand that the trade off is usually durability. For me, excessive power, size and weight result in more wrenching/$, less driving. If I do run 4s or 6s, I start with a car speced to handle that power (and they still have failures).

Last edited:
I reinforced mine with a brace that I secured by wrapping it with glue-soaked polyester thread. I also have rubber grommets in between the bumper and upper mount but that’s more to direct the front lights downward and keep the body off the bumper. The foam sleeves are to prevent body rattling.

IMG_4461.jpeg

Discovered this and have put simular versions of other cars. Amazing impact absorption, low weight, dirt cheap. Reinforced PVC tubing or rubber tubing from hardware store. Other picture is Arrma senton rear bumper mount I built out of it just to show the versatility. Have speed a tree head on at 25mph, and took it like a champ!
20240101_152819.jpg
20240101_152822.jpg
20240101_152839.jpg

Hey Kevin. Thanks for the like today on an earlier post in this thread. Been a while since reviewing this thread and brought me back for a re-read.

Reading Jess' excellent Ultimate MT10 Guide poked me into finally changing out those Trenchers. Too much tire for what I do now. Doubling down on Jess' comment on their weight - I have the belted version and with aluminum 12mm inserts. They weigh in at a hefty 9.3oz (265g) EACH. That works out to over 2lbs of tire/wheel assembly hanging out in the wind off the chassis arms. Asking a lot of a suspension, axle and 12mm hexes. Intent was to use them for 3S speed runs as the belted's are 70mph rated no-balloners.

Put on a set of P-L Gladiators as an interim. Much lighter at 5.3oz (152g) each - even with the 12mm AL hexes. Could almost hear the MT10 heaving a sigh of relief. . . Good grass tire too.

While doing the swap did a check and found out a 14mm STRC AL hex fits the MT10 and mounts the P-L Raid 14mm hub a.o.k. Ordered a full set of blue anodize (of course-it's an AE) for later refit.

To phm14's comments on his success with his bone stock MT10. +1. Have a stock one myself and have had no problems with it whatsoever. This one's my 'mod' built from a slider.

20240210_091448_resize_edit.jpg

20240210_115908_resize_edit.jpg

Hey Kevin. Thanks for the like today on an earlier post in this thread. Been a while since reviewing this thread and brought me back for a re-read.

Reading Jess' excellent Ultimate MT10 Guide poked me into finally changing out those Trenchers. Too much tire for what I do now. Doubling down on Jess' comment on their weight - I have the belted version and with aluminum 12mm inserts. They weigh in at a hefty 9.3oz (265g) EACH. That works out to over 2lbs of tire/wheel assembly hanging out in the wind off the chassis arms. Asking a lot of a suspension, axle and 12mm hexes. Intent was to use them for 3S speed runs as the belted's are 70mph rated no-balloners.

Put on a set of P-L Gladiators as an interim. Much lighter at 5.3oz (152g) each - even with the 12mm AL hexes. Could almost hear the MT10 heaving a sigh of relief. . . Good grass tire too.

While doing the swap did a check and found out a 14mm STRC AL hex fits the MT10 and mounts the P-L Raid 14mm hub a.o.k. Ordered a full set of blue anodize (of course-it's an AE) for later refit.

To phm14's comments on his success with his bone stock MT10. +1. Have a stock one myself and have had no problems with it whatsoever. This one's my 'mod' built from a slider.

View attachment 181315

View attachment 181316
I so regret not getting the MT10 instead of our Granite. I am so tired of fixing that pos.

I so regret not getting the MT10 instead of our Granite. I am so tired of fixing that pos.
Yeah, I hear you. Waffled back-and-forth b/w the MT10 and Granite before finally settling on the MT10. AE for me was a know quantity. That in the end was the tipping factor. Like any RC, MT10 has its good features and areas for improvement. Overall, though, it's a heck of a good 2S RC platform. 3S, yeah it'll do it but not as well as on 2S.

Keep your eyes open and ear to the ground. Good deal on an MT10 bound to come along. Cheers. 'AC'

Ultimate MT10 Guide

Rival MT10. This was my first Hobby grade RC. Spent a lot of $ just playing around with it, in literally every way and finally have created an absolute, stable, non-overheating, 50mph, wheeling multiple blocks at a time, easy complete back flips off just a curb from low speed, beast.
Awesome post...really helpful. Thx!

Few Questions:
1. What are those springs for the body mounts?
2. Did you end up dremeling the chassis to fit the motor?
3. Any overheating problems with the 4s /1415/ 2400kV motor?
4. What pinion did you try with the 4s setup? Any issues with the spur gear?

I'm looking to upgrade my MT 10 - however, I am somewhat fixated on making 4s work as I have large supply of 2s batteries and it is easy enough to series them...I like the speed & torque of a 3s setup, but am not really interested in buying more batteries (or splitting my 2s packs to make 3s versions).

What motor, ESC, and pinion are you running? Happy with 2s? I have 3 MT10s (picked them up for a song). Looking to heavily modify mine, and give a kick to my son & wife's trucks with a better ESC & Motor (runing 2s).

Awesome post...really helpful. Thx!

Few Questions:
1. What are those springs for the body mounts?
2. Did you end up dremeling the chassis to fit the motor?
3. Any overheating problems with the 4s /1415/ 2400kV motor?
4. What pinion did you try with the 4s setup? Any issues with the spur gear?

I'm looking to upgrade my MT 10 - however, I am somewhat fixated on making 4s work as I have large supply of 2s batteries and it is easy enough to series them...I like the speed & torque of a 3s setup, but am not really interested in buying more batteries (or splitting my 2s packs to make 3s versions).

What motor, ESC, and pinion are you running? Happy with 2s? I have 3 MT10s (picked them up for a song). Looking to heavily modify mine, and give a kick to my son & wife's trucks with a better ESC & Motor (runing 2s).
1. Springs: just head to Menards our local Ace, grab very light weight compression springs they are very cheap. I'd emphasize light weight springs. Can trim to size if needed.
2. A 65mm length motor is about the biggest you can for without dremeling. With all my motor/esc set ups, no dremeling required
3. I did not run 4s. It sounds great and the 2400kv would definitely handle it but 4s batteries will be way too heavy for bashing and you will likely get a lot of breakage on this platform with that weight.
4. I did not run 4s pinion testing aside very briefly.

Hope this helps!

Hey Franky2Tone,

Quoting your question from above post, "What motor, ESC, and pinion are you running? Happy with 2s? I have 3 MT10s (picked them up for a song). Looking to heavily modify mine, and give a kick to my son & wife's trucks with a better ESC & Motor (runing 2s)."

3800Kv sensorless brushless motor (5mm shaft), 120A ESC, 13T pinion (5mm bore). Happy with 2s x 5000mAh 100C 7.4V full length battery.

Seldom use all the power it has. THR (Throttle percent setting on the transmitter) usually 75% unless I'm drag racing it. Then 90% THR.

Recently fit a set of four Pro-Line Gladiator Short Course Truck tires mounted to a set of Pro-Line Raid Short Course wheels with 14mm hex inserts. Not for everyone, but I like it not having to flip a heavy set of MT tires for what my MT10 does. Mostly back yard flat grass and 33ft/66ft street drags.

Two MT10's here. One stock; one mod (specs above). Hope this helps. Cheers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back