Rim OD

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

exactcustoms

I have a rim here that has a OD of 3.030

Would reducing this rim size to 3.000 be a issue you think?

I know its not much .......but i like things perfect.

I am no machinist by any means, but it may make a difference. It might cause the tire bead to be just a tad loose and not fit on the rim perfectly. Who's make is the rim if you do not mind me asking? If it is one from one of the larger companys most likely they have spent a fair amount of time on r&d and have determined that to be the "perfect" size for the tires we use. A round number does not necessarily make the rim the "perfect" size, rather a perfect fit makes the rim the perfect size.

Its actually a friend of mines truck. Its a redcat model.
He broke his rim off first run and i offered to fix him up.

Going to wait till the Savage gets here and see what its rim OD is.
I'm sure HPI quality is 200% better than redcats.

My guess from experience is that its just the tolerance from when they molded it. I even notice if i take measurements in certain spots i get 3.010

So its not even running round.

A round number does not necessarily make the rim the "perfect" size, rather a perfect fit makes the rim the perfect size.

I completely agree with this statement.

It probably won't make a big difference. Considering it's a one off fix up it's not a big deal. But when you are doing mass production you certainly want them to be as like to the original size as possible.

I'd wait... Base your sizes of a company that sells a massive amount of stock. Maybe order some basic pro-line rims, traxxas rims and RPM rims as well. They sell a butt load. If you just buy a couple rims, you will only be out about $10 a set. They typically come in pairs.

HPI rims are known for horribly poor hex's. At least on the 14mm savage rims. The only rims I've never stripped or broken the hex of are traxxas old school t-maxx rims. I run these on everything and have been using them for years.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP73&P=7

I've run a few RPM rims as well, but not for nearly as many years at a time on the same vehicle as those traxxas rims. I don't know how long they r & d'd them, but they stand up very well.

Last edited:
List of different rim sizes

Ok after a very busy day and very tierd.....
spent hole day making generic rim programs.......for lathe and mill.

I was wondering if anyone can help me complete my list of rims to make.

http://imexrc.com/detail.aspx?ID=583

That site has a list of rims and sizes that seem to cover alot of models.

Would this cover the needs for most users?

Thanks guys
Derrick

Oh my...Jato rims.....I need some new Jato rims....I would love to see how they come out. No billet rims in Japan. They would be dead sexy.

Back