Revo weight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronheadrick

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I have a revo with an os21 tm it has an integy roll cage 3.8 duratrax six pack mt and it weights in at over 13 pounds and will not pull the front wheels off the ground close but no cigar what I'm curious about is if the os21 tm should make enough torque to pull the wheels off the ground with it weighing 13 plus pounds

Attachments

• 20200804_131330.jpg
    20200804_131330.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 136
Adding weight will make it not pull wheelies any more. Try dropping down 2 teeth on the clutch and see what happened. More weight adds more problems with steering too.

No I don't want to add weight with the roll cage it's pretty indistructable I will give up wheelies for indistructablity but I sure would like a little more acceleration

I have a 14 t bell and 38 t spur

the stock spur gear is 40 teeth and 14 tooth clutch. So the clutch should be a 12 tooth? If one will work? You hay have to put a larger spur gear on? I run T-maxx stock spur 72 and 18 tooth on the 2.5R and pull wheelies all day. With the 3.3 I run 20 tooth.

Last edited:
I do have a 40t spur I can put on but the smallest cell I can find is 14 that is the same gearmesh

Then you will need a bigger tooth spur gear.

13 lbs is pretty heavy for a Revo. However, the OS .21 is a beast and you should be able to pull wheelies with the right gearing. I have an 11.5 lb TMaxx that can pull them with stock gearing and a Dynamite .19 which isn't as strong an engine.

I have found the the stock gearing for any t-maxx with stock motors has a hard time pulling wheelies.. It can but I dropped 2 teeth and I can do it off the line.

I do have big 3.8 duratrax six pack and a 14 tooth clutch bell and I put my 40tooth spur and a 3 shoe clutch and I have the gold 21 pound shock springs and she still won't I can get lucky and hit a bump at the right time and she stands up but besides that I even have removed my clutch on the spur it is direct no slipper the thing I don't understand is yes that os21 is a monster compared to the 3.3 I love it and the power but I am waiting on a lrp.32x spec4 to go on it that should remove some of the 13 pounds she weighs with torque I hope

Adding weight requires more power to lift. I don't add on any aluminum parts. I keep all my truck stock.

I run 16/38 in my 21TM revo, but I probably have lighter wheels/tires on it. I put a set from the v1/2 kraton just to try out and I liked them over the traxxas geode/chevrons I had on it. I have full RRP steel in the transmission with the standard ratio gearing. Pretty sure I'm running a dynamite maxlife 2 shoe clutch on it and a THS low end small block pipe. It wheelies pretty easily. I had lower gearing (15/40) on it, but needed more speed to clear some jumps at a grass bmx track I run at.

I don't have the full integy cage, but I do have the integy 4 point motor cage on it. I'd put a 1/8th clutch/flywheel on it, but I got it used many years ago and it came with MIP center axles. To put 1/8th clutch on it (instead of the alloy 2 shoe), I'd have to move the transmission forward 1/4" like I did on my big block revo (LRP28 in that one), then I couldn't use the MIP's.

How heavy are those tires? Maybe they are sapping away a decent amount of power? Are you running the standard ratio or the wide or narrow ratio in the transmission? I think the 1st gear is the same for those, but 2st gear is higher or lower than standard, so shouldn't really matter for wheelies, just acceleration when it shifts.

For what I do at that place, the close ratio would probably be better to give me more grunt in 2nd and allow harder acceleration.
This was the last time I ran it with 16/38. If I remember right, the grass was a bit wet when I started, so it spun quite a bit.

try a heavier weight diff oil .main and rear that should get the front end up..

I run 16/38 in my 21TM revo, but I probably have lighter wheels/tires on it. I put a set from the v1/2 kraton just to try out and I liked them over the traxxas geode/chevrons I had on it. I have full RRP steel in the transmission with the standard ratio gearing. Pretty sure I'm running a dynamite maxlife 2 shoe clutch on it and a THS low end small block pipe. It wheelies pretty easily. I had lower gearing (15/40) on it, but needed more speed to clear some jumps at a grass bmx track I run at.

I don't have the full integy cage, but I do have the integy 4 point motor cage on it. I'd put a 1/8th clutch/flywheel on it, but I got it used many years ago and it came with MIP center axles. To put 1/8th clutch on it (instead of the alloy 2 shoe), I'd have to move the transmission forward 1/4" like I did on my big block revo (LRP28 in that one), then I couldn't use the MIP's.

How heavy are those tires? Maybe they are sapping away a decent amount of power? Are you running the standard ratio or the wide or narrow ratio in the transmission? I think the 1st gear is the same for those, but 2st gear is higher or lower than standard, so shouldn't really matter for wheelies, just acceleration when it shifts.

For what I do at that place, the close ratio would probably be better to give me more grunt in 2nd and allow harder acceleration.
This was the last time I ran it with 16/38. If I remember right, the grass was a bit wet when I started, so it spun quite a bit.
I

I removed my roll cage and it alone is 3.5 pounds and the 3.8 duratrax six pack wheels and tires weigh 3.2 pounds all four on the scale I would lube to keep my roll cage but how can I lose weight in the tires

try a heavier weight diff oil .main and rear that should get the front end up..
I have 200 million weight it is like silly putty it is thick in all diffs front back and middle

I have a LRP 32x spec4 comp headed my way I hope it will do the trick without me having to lose the roll cage will see

you have an awesome place to play

I have a LRP 32x spec4 comp headed my way I hope it will do the trick without me having to lose the roll cage will see
If you don't have RRP steel in the transmission, you will need it. I kept blowing out the final primary gears in the transmission with the 21TM, so I got RRP for it as well. I had similar issues with the LRP28 big block revo... but it's a weird setup that I haven't messed with in a long time. When I built it/installed the bb, it was a slayer that I converted to a revo, but I never replaced the final drive gears which I believe are taller than revo gears. Then when I put RRP in it, I only replaced the 2 speed gears and main input gear, but left the final slayer gears in the transmission. Oddly, they have held up to many years of abuse. Even most recently with trencher 3.8's on it.

But, the spur/bell on it make it hard to judge what a normal big block should have, because it seems "low". The slayer final gears end up with a higher gear ratio to make up for the smaller SC tires that came on it. Pretty sure it also came with the wide ratio 2-speed, but I replaced it with standard ratio RRP.

This is the last time I ran it. It has 15/40 bell/spur on it, which seems way too low for a big block, but ends up pretty fast with the slayer final gears in it:

Back