Revo 3.3 Speed runner. How fast can I get it to go. Goal is 80+ mph.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XeroMyHero

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
This post is for you to give me ideals on what I can do to make this new Revo 3.3 fast.

So I just ordered a new Revo 3.3 and waiting on it to come in. I also ordered lots of new parts as well. Here is the list of things I have gotten.

HR 34t mod1 spur gear.
Tekno 18t mod1 clutch bell. There is a 19t mod1 clutch bell. These will make it slow on take off. But remember I am going for top speed.
LRP Works 33.5mm 3 shoe clutch. Looking at REDS 4 shoe system. I did order a BuKu Clutch system but I don't think they are in business. Web site is up. but did not here from them on my order. I will give it a few more weeks and see if it comes in.
Traxxas Summit Left side axle x2 for the rear. There wont be any axles in the front as this will be 2WD only. Summit axles are way stronger then the Revos. Don't want steel. they will be heavy. Weight reduction is on the list as well.
Powerhobby 1/8 gripper tires for the Arrma Felony. 17mm
RPM True Track Rear A-Arms
Traxxas Sway Bar kit.
ProLine Rat Rod Body.
Helical Spiral Diff Ring/Pinion.
ProLine Extended Body mounts for the Revo 3.3
Traxxas Summit CV Stud axle x2, its all steel and to hold the front Wheels on.
Traxxas Slayer Pro Receiver/battery box.
Killer RC Killer Bee Kill switch. Don't want run aways.
StirlingKit remote start. I like pushing a button on my remote to start my cars.

For now I am going to keep the 3.3 and see what happens. I might get the OS .21 TM later on. I plan on removing front/rear bumpers, one servo on the steering, the opti drive and change out the revo receiver/battery box for the Slayer Pro. Going to use 4 AA battery as they will be lighter. Only need them to run passes. Not sure what I need to do on the front diff. Need it in for the brakes. As the brakes are on the front drive shaft. I got a friend that has a 3D printer. Maybe make a spacer of some kind to fill in for the Ring and spider gears to hold the pinion in place to hold the front drive shaft in place. Make it sit as low to the ground as I can and some kind of good shock set up with little travel. I can get a steel plate for the under side. That will help to keep the air from lifting the car up at high speed. but add weight. Or maybe not.

s-l1600.jpg

Going with the Rat Rod body, Love Rat Rods. Had a few. I know some one will tell me to get a full body. Aerodynamics and all. but Indy cars are open wheel base and they do well. Don't mean I won't go with a Slash wide body though.

Maybe some one has already done this before and can give me some advice on what I can do. The big things are keeping it light, but not to light to where it flies away, and making it as low to the ground. A good shock system. Maybe other good gear setups. I do have other spur gears and clutch bells I can try. Any ideals on trans and motor combos? Hopefully you guys can give me more ideals. I will take lots of pictures and post them here as I go along. I plan on making videos too and setting up some kind of youtube thing to post the videos so you all can see how this project it coming along.

Well the Revo comes in next week, and I already got most of the parts I ordered. Got a spot in my garage set up to do this. Got a good cell phone with a great camera on it to take pictures and make some videos. I am not a video guy or edit guy. So I don't know how the videos will come out. I see many on youtube that look very bad. I will try my best to make it look good.

I know some one will tell me to get the Traxxas X0-1 or some other car if I want to do speed runs or to have a very fast car. I don't want a RTR. I want to build some thing and to modify it. To do my own things. I have 1:1 cars that I race and play with, my baby is my 84 Camaro Z28. It has an 388 stroker, 6 speed trans, 4:10s it is a 10 second car. I am pushing 60 and looking to play with smaller cars. I love to build things and modify them. I hope this post works out and people chip in and enjoy this project.

Thanks to those who read this, and supper thanks to those who post.

Welcome. That's a sweet build. I love my traxxas nitro's. But I hate to tell you. A Revo 3.3 even with the O.S .21 won't be getting near 80mph... your going need to pick up 40+ mph. Nitros really aren't built for speed runs.. buy all means go for it. Bit at those speeds you will need to add weight to the front end of the truck and get it as low as possible... I would love to see this happen.. go for it👍👍👍👍

Welcome. That's a sweet build. I love my traxxas nitro's. But I hate to tell you. A Revo 3.3 even with the O.S .21 won't be getting near 80mph... your going need to pick up 40+ mph. Nitros really aren't built for speed runs.. buy all means go for it. Bit at those speeds you will need to add weight to the front end of the truck and get it as low as possible... I would love to see this happen.. go for it👍👍👍👍
I don't know, the Jato out of the box will do 60 mph, it states 65 mph. If I go to 2WD like the Jato, and it has the 3.3 and 2 speed trans. I think it will be easy to get to the 65 mph or 70 mph. But that last 10 or so might be the trick. Keeping that front end down too will be an issue as well. I was thinking of adding wheelie bars to it for that issue. Adding weight will make it harder to reach the 80 mph goal.

I got some parts in today, and the Revo 3.3 showed up as well. Here are some Pics.

I worked on the true track and lowering the suspension and putting on the Arrma Felony tires. Looks pretty good so for.

20220303_174713.jpg

I removed the front axles and use the summit CV studs to hold the front wheels.

20220303_174743.jpg

The HR 34t spur gear and the 18t clutch bell did not come in so I put this 17t clutch bell on. Once I do the brake in on the 3.3 I will change out the clutch bell and the clutch, it has not come in yet also.

20220303_174753.jpg

RPM true track. This took some time to put on. but in the end it look awesom.

20220303_174804.jpg

Powerhobby gripper wheels and tires. These are for the Arrma Felony, 17mm, Hard rubber and sticky.

20220303_205444.jpg

Purple springs, what can I say it needs to be very stiff sitting that low to the ground.

20220303_174857.jpg

The Revo 3.3 new in the box. The hobby shop guy thinks I am nutts for doing this build. He thought I was nutts for building the Revo 3.3 crawler. I am going to do a post on it. Got lots of stuff for it. But I am playing with it for now while I work on this one. Once this is done, I will put the crawler on a post and redo it.

20220303_175216.jpg

Look at the baby shine. All nice and new.

20220303_175231.jpg

I got a broken foot so I worked on it in my dinning room. This is the before pictures.

Here comes the after pictures. It look so awesome. I can't fit a finger under it, it sits so low.

20220303_205958.jpg

20220303_205927.jpg

Here is what it looks like now. I got the Revo tire next to it for size comparison.

20220303_204907.jpg

20220303_204757.jpg
20220303_204749.jpg
20220303_204749.jpg
20220303_204830.jpg

I still have lots more stuff for it. I may brake in the 3.3 this saterday it's going to be in the 70's
I love how level the A-arms are the springs seem to be doing good. I might need to put heavier oil in the shocks. Wont know tell I make a few runs with it. Next time I work on it I will post the upgrades here. So come back and check out what new.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Well I broke in the Revo today. put 7 tanks of gas through it.
Don't know how true the traxxas app is. I know it showed mid 300 degrees when in fact it was mid 200 degrees it seemed to be off by 100 degrees compared to my temp gun. Any way here is a screen shot of the app. my best run was at 60 mph. Again not sure if it is right or now.

Screenshot_20220305-141557_Traxxas Link.jpg

Get a GNSS to get an accurate speed measurement.

As for 80mph, it's just a matter of gearing it high enough and having decent aerodynamics - and enough room ;)

Get a GNSS to get an accurate speed measurement.

As for 80mph, it's just a matter of gearing it high enough and having decent aerodynamics - and enough room ;)
been working many hours the last few weeks. But yes I don't think the app is right. I was looking in to some kind of gps thing to put on the car to see how fast i can get. Right now it is squirrely on take off. I will have to start slow and work up to speed. I am still waiting on the remote start system from stirlingkit. It should be here in a week or so. I did drop in a 34t spur gear, that was the smallest I can find, I have a 17t clutch bell in it now. I do have a 19t and a 21t clutch bell for it. As of now it is very fast not sure how fast yet. One issue i have is the brakes. It is only 2 wheel drive so it has 2 wheel brakes and they lock up and the car slides for a bit longer than I like for it to. I had a servo go bad for the steering so I pulled it out. Just using the one servo now. i am RMA the bad one back to traxxas this week it revo is less then a month old so I will get a replacement soon. I have some all steal water proof 35kg servos may put one in. But this is just a speed runner so not really doing any turns. just needs to go in a straight line lol.
I am still waiting on parts and paint, Spar Stick chrome is on back order at my local hobby shop. But the revo is coming along great. Real stupid squirrely on take off. I got the gyro set up to help keep this under control but the revo don't seem to care if it is to go straight and wants to go where it likes and that is any where but straight lol. I still want to plant a spool in the diff the limited slip isn't working very well. I can see the one tire spin up fast while the other not. I put on the default tires it came with to play with it last monday and one tire was ballooning. It was very funny.

I still have to paint the body, waiting on the steel under skirt, Remote start, and the longer pull ring for the fuel tank. I need to get some kind of gps to track how fast it gets. The rest will be in playing with gearing and tire sizes. The last is for some wormer weather.

I will post as I can.

Last edited:
I got the remote start from StirlingKit in yesterday and I got it set up today. Yesterday was the first nice day with temp in the upper 70 degrees so I painted the Ratrod body. I still have a few more parts to come in but It is coming along great. I will post some Pics.

20220330_232556.jpg

Remote start and Killer RC kill switch are in the location of the second STR. servo.

20220330_232544.jpg

20220330_233221.jpg

I cut out the side windows to get air in to cool the motor and to get to the fuel tank.
I will dremel tool the edges to clean it up later.

20220330_233259.jpg

20220330_233321.jpg

I can just put my finger under the bulkhead, it's about as close to the ground I can get with it. I am still waiting on the SS steal under pan from China.

20220330_233331.jpg

The weather has been crappy the last week or so yesterday was the first nice day so I painted the body. It's going to rain most of the time for the next few days or so with temps down in the upper 40s. Hopefully I get a nice day soon to do some test runs. I still need a GPS speed monitor, going to pick one up for a bicycle that is small and can record top speeds. If any one knows of a good one that is less then $40 let me know.

You may need bigger tires and probably a wing for downforce I would think. Just an idea! :) Interested to see what you do next. Say, what fuel filter is that?

I got the remote start from StirlingKit in yesterday and I got it set up today. Yesterday was the first nice day with temp in the upper 70 degrees so I painted the Ratrod body. I still have a few more parts to come in but It is coming along great. I will post some Pics.

View attachment 144641
Remote start and Killer RC kill switch are in the location of the second STR. servo.

View attachment 144642

View attachment 144643
I cut out the side windows to get air in to cool the motor and to get to the fuel tank.
I will dremel tool the edges to clean it up later.

View attachment 144644

View attachment 144646
I can just put my finger under the bulkhead, it's about as close to the ground I can get with it. I am still waiting on the SS steal under pan from China.

View attachment 144647

The weather has been crappy the last week or so yesterday was the first nice day so I painted the body. It's going to rain most of the time for the next few days or so with temps down in the upper 40s. Hopefully I get a nice day soon to do some test runs. I still need a GPS speed monitor, going to pick one up for a bicycle that is small and can record top speeds. If any one knows of a good one that is less then $40 let me know.
I see you have a battery up on the front of the truck. I’m wanting to do that but don’t know how. Can you send a picture of your setup or tell me? That would help a lot. Thank you.