Revo 3.3 brushless conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc.sutten

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm doing a brushless conversion on my revo 3.3 and having a very hard time finding a kit that's available anymore, or even a motor mount that'll work with a 42mm can without heavy modification. Does anyone know where I could find a new/used Tekno (tkr 4001) conversion kit? I know they're discontinued now is why I'm asking. Or know of something else other than the Integy kit, that only supports a 36mm can? I really don't want to fab one if I can get around it. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am looking to do the same and most likely I am going to be using the motor mount from how2rc how2rc.com
and a motor and ESC from castle castle combo. There is also this motor mount from itegy motor mount.
this is mentioned on the how2rc site, will also need this FOC

Hi, I am looking to do the same and most likely I am going to be using the motor mount from how2rc how2rc.com
and a motor and ESC from castle castle combo. There is also this motor mount from itegy motor mount.
That Castle combo will not work for a REVO conversion. What you want is the Mamba Monster 2 w/2200kv motor combo. you're also going to need a conversion kit to make the 2 speed transmission into a single speed.

That Castle combo will not work for a REVO conversion. What you want is the Mamba Monster 2 w/2200kv motor combo. you're also going to need a conversion kit to make the 2 speed transmission into a single speed.
Ok, thanks for the info on the ESC and motor. why won't the kit I linked work, not strong enough? I thought the front only kit and doing the transmission modification made it a single speed

Ok, thanks for the info on the ESC and motor. why won't the kit I linked work, not strong enough? I thought the front only kit and doing the transmission modification made it a single speed
Doesn't have the power the combo you posted is for a stadium truck. Not a MT
You also might want to look into the how2rc. He wasn't maken mounts 6months ago. When I did my Tmaxx conversion.
I'm doing a brushless conversion on my revo 3.3 and having a very hard time finding a kit that's available anymore, or even a motor mount that'll work with a 42mm can without heavy modification. Does anyone know where I could find a new/used Tekno (tkr 4001) conversion kit? I know they're discontinued now is why I'm asking. Or know of something else other than the Integy kit, that only supports a 36mm can? I really don't want to fab one if I can get around it. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
So the easiest way to do the conversion on the revo 3.3..
Would be the get a E revo chassis and tranns. And the motor mount plate. New center shafts and Erevo diffs. As the revo 3.3 shafts and diff won't hold up.. the front and rear of the 3.3 will bolt up to the E revo chassis.. and then you can mount the Castle MM or MM2 2200kv combo directlyto the tranns motor plate. I used the MM2 ESC and 2200kv mounted to the Revo 2.0 tranns in my Tmaxx conversion..

Last edited:
oh ok didn't know the Revo is considered an MT, they have an MT spec in the copperhead. I will check on the how2rc, thanks if not I can just get the other motor mount I listed and make my own ESC mount and battery tray

oh ok didn't know the Revo is considered an MT, they have an MT spec in the copperhead. I will check on the how2rc, thanks if not I can just get the other motor mount I listed and make my own ESC mount and battery tray
It's the weight you have to look at bud
What slec you looking at man. Says it right there. 2wd 4wd SC truck. Max weight 6lbs. You need at least 4s to run the revo. Or might as well keep it nitro
Screenshot_20210926-205356_Chrome.jpg

What slec you looking at man. Says it right there. 2wd 4wd SC truck. Max weight 6lbs. You need at least 4s to run the revo. Or might as well keep it nitro
Screenshot_20210926-205356_Chrome.jpg

Dam double post sorry. Revo weights around 9-10lbs

Last edited:
I'm not so sure How2rc is even in business anymore. I wanted the Tmax conversion motor mount and couldn't find them.
I may wrong but I haven't looked in a while.

Yeah the description says MT but its referring to light weight 1/10 scale MTs, like a Stampede, weighing no more than 6.5lbs. As Stoner mentioned the REVO is around 10-11 lbs. Even though traxxas calls the REVO a 1/10 scale kit its really not. Its much closer in size and weight to an 1/8 scale MT which means you're gonna need an 1/8 scale electronics system for it like the one I just posted.

As for the FOC conversion, I've not done it to the REVO specifically but I've done it to a few other conversions I've done and generally speaking FOC kits only eliminate the reverse gear from the transmission it does not address converting the kit from a 2 speed to a single speed.

Yeah the description says MT but its referring to light weight 1/10 scale MTs, like a Stampede, weighing no more than 6.5lbs. As Stoner mentioned the REVO is around 10-11 lbs. Even though traxxas calls the REVO a 1/10 scale kit its really not. Its much closer in size and weight to an 1/8 scale MT which means you're gonna need an 1/8 scale electronics system for it like the one I just posted.

As for the FOC conversion, I've not done it to the REVO specifically but I've done it to a few other conversions I've done and generally speaking FOC kits only eliminate the reverse gear from the transmission it does not address converting the kit from a 2 speed to a single speed.
There is a transmission mod as well, I keep seeing in other posts and YouTube videos, where they removed the first gear and put screws or pins in the second. As well as removing the ball and spring from the inner housing of the second gear.

There is a transmission mod as well, I keep seeing in other posts and YouTube videos, where they removed the first gear and put screws or pins in the second. As well as removing the ball and spring from the inner housing of the second gear.
If you can't find a single speed conversion kit to buy then youll need to looking at that mod for sure. One thing that worries me though. All the FOC and single speed conversion I just looked at are all plastic gears. I'm 98% sure that plastic transmission gears are not going to hold up to 1/8 scale brushless power. I would look at trying to just do a complete transmission swap with the E-Revo or maybe the Maxx/T-Maxx 3.3.

@StonerRC365 What do you think?

Yeah you can do it that way. But you will end up destroying the gears after a few runs once you put screws threw the plastic. Since your weaking the gears at that point..they won't be able to handle the tourqe of the electric motor for long ..its not the rite way to do the conversion. The thing with you tube is its nice to see how they do it or what upgrade they have or use. But you never see a video after that video you watch. Showing it's a good set up or good upgrade. It's just see look I did it I put this upgrade on. Then next video a few weeks later or days they have a different RC. Or it's another build video. Never a true review on what they did.

Yeah you can do it that way. But you will end up destroying the gears after a few runs once you put screws threw the plastic. Since your weaking the gears at that point..they won't be able to handle the tourqe of the electric motor for long ..its not the rite way to do the conversion. The thing with you tube is its nice to see how they do it or what upgrade they have or use. But you never see a video after that video you watch. Showing it's a good set up or good upgrade. It's just see look I did it I put this upgrade on. Then next video a few weeks later or days they have a different RC. Or it's another build video. Never a true review on what they did.
They actually show that same mod on how2rc's website. I was kinda surprised. My main question to you though is, Do you think plastic transmission gears in general are going to hold up to a brushless conversion regardless of modding gears or not?

So I found this metal piece on eBay, that looks like a better option than the screw/pin mod. https://www.ebay.com/itm/293902921911?hash=item446dfab0b7:g:EuoAAOSwE~Rf2l-1

I was looking at buying an erevo chassis and front, center, and rear diffs and the erevo transmission. At least for me, the total for all parts was getting close to 3-400 dollar mark. Maybe I am looking at the wrong parts, but seems like I would just by a new erevo.

So I found this metal piece on eBay, that looks like a better option than the screw/pin mod. https://www.ebay.com/itm/293902921911?hash=item446dfab0b7:g:EuoAAOSwE~Rf2l-1

I was looking at buying an erevo chassis and front, center, and rear diffs and the erevo transmission. At least for me, the total for all parts was getting close to 3-400 dollar mark. Maybe I am looking at the wrong parts, but seems like I would just by a new erevo.
Stoner would know better than me but idk if you need all of those parts. Especially if an e-revo, maxx, or t-maxx 3.3 transmission could be adapted to work. with your existing chassis. You may even be able to find metal gears to replace the pastic ones inside your current tranny. Even if you had to spend $300-$400 to make the conversion happen though i feel like you come out better in the end. mainly because a new E-Revo is about $650 bucks and then you're gonna have Traxxas's crappy electronics versus the higher quality Castle electronics. Just my .02

To do the conversion correct it's about 3-400. Maybe a little more depending how much power. You want it to handle..The motor esc combo is 250- 275$. The Revo 3.3 diffs and center shafts won't hold up to the tourqe of electric. And the tranns plastic gears won't hold up either. The screws only lock the second gear so it won't change or engage when RPMs are hit to switch gears..
Stoner would know better than me but idk if you need all of those parts. Especially if an e-revo, maxx, or t-maxx 3.3 transmission could be adapted to work. with your existing chassis. You may even be able to find metal gears to replace the pastic ones inside your current tranny. Even if you had to spend $300-$400 to make the conversion happen though i feel like you come out better in the end. mainly because a new E-Revo is about $650 bucks and then you're gonna have Traxxas's crappy electronics versus the higher quality Castle electronics. Just my .02
You are correct sir. I mean they might for a run or maybe 2. Depending how you drive. But the stock plastic gears of the revo 3.3 .
They won't hold up to the power and tourqe of electric set up..
The nitro diffs and center shafts won't either with that set up.. there 3x the tourqe maybe 4x of the nitro motor

To do the conversion correct it's about 3-400. Maybe a little more depending how much power. You want it to handle..The motor esc combo is 250- 275$. The Revo 3.3 diffs and center shafts won't hold up to the tourqe of electric. And the tranns plastic gears won't hold up either. The screws only lock the second gear so it won't change or engage when RPMs are hit to switch gears..

You are correct sir. I mean they might for a run or maybe 2. Depending how you drive. But the stock plastic gears of the revo 3.3 .
They won't hold up to the power and tourqe of electric set up..
The nitro diffs and center shafts won't either with that set up.. there 3x the tourqe maybe 4x of the nitro motor
would I be able to get some assistance find the correct diff parts? I found the innards for the center and parts for the front and rear but not complete kits unless I would be reusing some parts from my Revo

update: I think I might understand what I wasn't understanding. the bulkheads either from the e-revo or my revo are what is going to be housing the front and rear diffs?

Last edited:
would I be able to get some assistance find the correct diff parts? I found the innards for the center and parts for the front and rear but not complete kits unless I would be reusing some parts from my Revo

update: I think I might understand what I wasn't understanding. the bulkheads either from the e-revo or my revo are what is going to be housing the front and rear diffs?
Yes sir. Everything will interchange with other. The tranns diffs and center shafts won't hold up to the electrics tourqe. The diffs you want are the Revo 2.0 diffs or you can get the Tmaxx 3.3 diffs which are both the same diff..

Yes sir. Everything will interchange with other. The tranns diffs and center shafts won't hold up to the electrics tourqe. The diffs you want are the Revo 2.0 diffs or you can get the Tmaxx 3.3 diffs which are both the same diff..
Ok, so the erevo trans won't fit on the nitro chassis?

most of the parts are from my local RC shop, might see if they can order my the chassis
this is the list so far or parts I found that I think I will need, correct me if I am wrong
transmission
2xdiffs
metal axels
chassis
ESC and motor
and then a battery and charger

I mean...They told me I couldn't get Erevo 2.0 in the Tmaxx chassis. But I got it to work. Little modifying and with a bracket. You don't need the steal cvd's unless you want them. You can use the stock spline axles. Like I did on my Tmaxx conversion.. you should have them on the 3.3 nitro already?
So to do this rite.
EREVO brushless chassis the 2.0
2.0 Tranns
2.0 diffs
2.0 Center shafts
The front and rear ends shocks axles everything but the diffs should mount rite to the brushless chassis.. here my Tmaxx conversion with 2.0 tranns and 2.0 centershafts and axles
With the castle MM2 2200kv combo

Attachments

• 16327813777024792570300549081928.jpg
    16327813777024792570300549081928.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 16327814194109008516621155705252.jpg
    16327814194109008516621155705252.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 16327814520184816460537788654970.jpg
    16327814520184816460537788654970.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 215
Back