Restoring old t maxx and kyosho mega force

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antndrew78

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
IMG_2740.JPG
IMG_2714.JPG
I guess i just feel sorry for these old trucks and would like to bring them back to life lots of pics to come here is the kyosho mega force I have the truck and remote no starter I am hunting one down this truck looks like it wasn't used much just stored dirty the t maxx is already in parts and engine pulled apart progress pics to come

Looking forward to seeing the builds and better still, the vids of them getting used like the deserve to be!!!:thumbs-up:

Looking foward too it the t maxx will be first complete break down and clean it's very dirty but I can tell it's never been taken apart before everything v is nice and tight and nothing is worn down

It looks like touve got a few real nice finds in that lot you got your hands on! Nice score!!!

During the engine clean up I had issues with the bearings in the block there is thread in engines on it I will post a pic later now I am contemplating either new engine or an electric conversion since this truck is in good shape is think it will work nice i am also a redoing the diffs they were all gumbed up pics to come

IMG_2746.JPG
IMG_2751.JPG
IMG_2752.JPG

As you can see the engine is in bad shape no engine time or a possible electric conversion

I will Def recommend staying with nitro. Esp with a restoration. Ultimately it's up to you but my heart says nitro for what it's worth.

I haven't done a conversion like that. I am pretty sure a swap like that can be done. Its when you go to the 3.3 that you have problems. I'm sure there are a few ppl here who have done similar upgrades who can tell you if there are any tricks or what to watch out for.

They sell a kit for the install but like I said I am not sure yet what I am doing yet updates to come

If that is the 1st gen T-maxx ,folks have been upgrading the engine when they first came out ,Lol....
the stock 15 was just not quite big enough for the trucks weight ,people learned real quick after
they got bored of just.....that....BLAH!...:hehe:

People started to put OS engines & other brands in them ,the OS CVR 18 engine was the sweet one
back in the day!...:D
But I think there was other brands like Sirio engines!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trinity-Sir...827050?hash=item3d35281faa:g:1swAAOSwopRYlmgH

IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2783.JPG
Here is an update so far I am still breaking the truck down and cleaning it about 3/4 of the way done so far I traded the old engine in for the traxxas program and picked up a new .15 for $75 bucks I couldn't pass up on that. The rear diff was striped down and cleaned and greassed and put back together is spin so nice and free now also the bearings were clean and oiled here are some pics also the body is in perfect condition

Looking good so far!!! I REALLY hope that goop from pic 2 was THOROUGHLY removed from all the parts and bearings! When I can see the chunks on the screen of my phone without expanding the pic... It's BAD! :hehe:
Just keep going thru each part and doing what you're doing. Any bad parts will become apparent easily and when you're done, POOF! Brand new 'old' TMAX'!!!
Great job so far!!!:thumbs-up:

Lookin great ,its the best way to learn about your truck ,this is what everyone that steps into
this hobby needs to do ,great job!...:thumbs-up:

@cbaker65. :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:!!! TOTALLY AGREE!!! Fortunately, when I got into RC, for the most part, any of the better quality, competition quality, 'non-throwaway' kits were just that, KITS!!! When I was born, I was just removed from the bottom box of a snap-on top chest... :hehe: I have been mechanically inclined pretty much since birth.
Either way, kit or rtr, I would have been taking it apart and building it back up By building it to begin with, there was nothing I didn't know about it and how to fix whatever was wrong. With so many of the new kits being 'RTR', a LOT of that knowledge is lost and/or seems a mystery to ppl now. Aside from being able to pick and choose the parts, components and options that YOU want. YOU make it perform as well as to make it fit YOUR budget You also learn the kit itself. You know right away what you want to change or improve because YOU saw it with your own eyes! If there was ANYTHING I would suggest to new owners of a lot or more importantly, to anyone new to RC in general, building or rebuilding your kit would be it!
@Antndrew78 , you will know these things inside and out! Whether you choose to build these into runners or shelf queens, you will be confident in your ability to fix it in the field as need be. You may just have more knowledge when you do have a different runner in the field and something pops. Either way, it's irreplaceable knowledge. You're Def doing something that (it seems) fewer and fewer ppl are doing.
Spend some time in the site here and you'll see the same repeated questions asked (mainly by 'newbies' over and over). It's usually ppl who just got their kit and can't get it started. I enjoy helping ppl so I don't mind answering the questions but they are usually fixed by answers already provided in a TON of similar posts. My point is that because ppl haven't built the kit themselves, they tend to be intimidated by turning the screws and getting their hands dirty.
Dig deep and inspire ppl! Keep us updated and let everyone know how easy it really is. Esp with the support of the forum here!
Sorry for chewing your ears off here! Good luck!!!:thumbs-up: Good job!!! :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the post I started out in rc when I was kid myself with a couple of tamiya kits and I always thought building them and fixing them was half the fun of the hobby that's why I bought these old rtr trucks because I am tearing them down with my son so he learns so far it's been a lot of fun

Ah... Please excuse... I thought you had just gotten into rc... I got you confused with a newbie to this forum. Still, what I said applies to the majority of the 'newbies' here. At least when they are here asking questions, they are most likely gonna dive in and get dirty.
I'm happy to hear you are doing this with your son. A constructive outlet for your son's energy and a great way for you guys to stay connected.
I have plans to do the same with my step sons when school is out. They have really worked hard to pull their grades up. I would REALLY enjoy spending some quality time with them. As long as they stay on this path, they will be as involved as they care to be...
I have a standing deal with them that I will teach them everything I do with 1:1 car repairs, home repair etc provided their homework is done and their grades are good. I will just start including RC in the mix and see who follows.
So far we have done a set of plugs and coils, air, fuel filters, belt and a few other lil things on the 1:1. Done a few things to the snowblower and some repairs around the house. They are both interested and learning.
(If you can't tell, I'm quite enjoying all this too! :hehe:)
Yeah, carry on and teach what you can. Do far, it's worked out great for us! :thumbs-up:

As I continue tearing down and cleaning I found something I haven't seen before on all the servos all three servos have cracks or the ears are broken on the mounting tabs going to look to see if I can find just the servo top/cover but I think the cost my outweigh replacement
IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG
Here is an update I am down to the bare bones and I am starting to put the truck together a lot of scrubbing and cleaning with wd40 and simple green