Restoring old t maxx and kyosho mega force

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good!
The broken ears aren't so rare in my experience. Time, high temps, harsh chemicals and the overall abuse that the plastic takes will crack and snap little parts like those ears. This is a GREAT time to upgrade!

Yes I think it might be a good time to upgrade I might even go to the newer waterproof servos from traxxas
Can anyone give me some suggestions on a upgraded servo for the steering since the factory one seem weak I have another t maxx with the 2.5 and it's also weak . I have decided this is going to be my sons truck he doesn't know yet because all he has seen is a pile of parts but he has been helping with the cleaning and scrubbing I also ordered a new set of wheels and tires from the 3.3 t maxx I was going to put those on my 2.5 but I think they will look sharp on this truck with the black body on it I will post pics of the wheels soon thanks

You'll make his day for sure! Very cool!
I am in the same boat in that I need to upgrade to some waterproof all around. I hate having these things sit for half a year where all I can do is look at them and wish I could take them for a rip in the snow and mud outside... Time for an upgrade for me for sure!

20170414_185251~2.jpg
20170414_185251~2.jpg
20170414_183611.jpg
I have all the parts I removed to make min brushless if your in need off anything

That's great what do you have I am in the middle of the t maxx rebuild at the moment but the mega force is sitting on the shelf waiting I am not sure the engine is good yet the truck really shows minimal use but I am afraid the bearings are gummed up I am missing the starter piece that conects the battery to try and start it .

Yes it is and thank you. Think it's part off fun in the hobby of rc

IMG_2813.JPG
Very slow going reinstalled the receiver plate and the battery box plate also upgraded the plastic bushing in the steering to ball bearing much smoother more updates to come

Looks nice and clean! Any forward motion is good! :thumbs-up:

IMG_2892.JPG
Took apart the spur gear and this is what I found what can use to clean these up before reinstalling them ? It's some surface rust

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 211
There's a number of things you can use... I haven't tried this personally but I hear it works well. WD40 makes metal bath you can drop these in. It simply sits there and when you take it out after alloted time, it is rust free.
You can always use a light sand paper so as not to rough up the surface or warp it in any way or use 3M pads.
You can also use brass brushes for a rotary tool (dremel) If you don't have one, they are a GREAT investment! I don't know how I ever got along without one. I use it for all kinds of stuff. Not just hobby stuff but for working on 1:1 car, lots of home projects etc. Well worth the investment imo!

Thansk for info will do the wd40 then degrease them with some brake clean and hit them with the brass brush thansk

Just be sure to be gentle. The goal is to leave everything perfectly flat (no bends in the metal) and no scoring. The brass is a good choice because it is softer than steel. Take a few pics to post when you're done. If like to see first hand how the WD40 rust remover works. Maybe it will clean it up to the point that no brushing is required at all?! That would be nice! Then just use the brake clean so you're starting back with totally clean parts.I would look into ceramic balls for the diff too. I am going to put them in a couple different cars so I'm going to buy them in a decent quantity. They are actually pretty cheap that way! :thumbs-up:

IMG_3312.JPG
Ok I am back at it again I have reassembled the front end and I am putting all the electronics back in I also cleaned the shocks and they all recieved new 35 wt oil also I am upgrading the radio equipment to 2.4 using a flysky gt3b I bound the reciever and all the servos are working great

Last edited:
Thanks guys next will be the new engine it's a brand traxxas .15 this truck will be for my 5 year old so the .15 will be plenty of power I run a 2.5 in my t maxx and he driver that and he's pretty good but I wanted to keep this truck stick for him I also have a brand new revo 2.5r that is still in the box debating whether to sell it and buy a 3.3 but a lot of people have stated that the 2.5 r is a great engine

I guess the real answer with the 2.5 's 3.3 is what your price difference will be vs if you were to keep it and then mod as you see fit/necessary. I have heard good things about the 2.5 as well. I have been 100% happy with my 3.3 Revo personally as well. Either way, the Revo is a killer rig! I LOVE the design and performance!!!!