Restoring old t maxx and kyosho mega force

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys need some help I installed the 2.4 reciever today and when I was threading the wire through the antenna tube mount it got stuck a little I used some needel nose pliers to pull it through and it seems that I nicked the insulation on the wire no damge to the wire just the insulation if you look at it you can't tell does anyone know if this is going to effect the reciever it seems to function fine ?

On 2.4 radios I never noticed any issues from nicked insulation. You could get some plasti-dip and repair it though.

Good looking re-build ! Reminds of when I bough 2 old worn out T-Maxxes a few years ago and rebuilt them in to one good one for a Christmas present for my son. I called it Project Cheap-O-Maxx,

IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3318.JPG
Here are some pics of the final build I didn't have the time for more pics in between

For now I just want to break it in so my son can run it then maybe some rpm upgrades he's 5 so he's not going to care about upgrades yet he can control my 2.5 tmaxx very well

I get you. My son is also 5 and has a good grasp on driving my 2/5/3.3 Tmaxx Hybrid build I gave him. But the truck he has is almost fully upgraded.

Congrats!! Looks great! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come!!!:thumbs-up:

IMG_3463.JPG
IMG_3462.JPG
Question on the suspension here are some pics of the suspension set up I replaced all the oil in the shocks and used I believe was 35 wt it feels good when you push down on the truck just not sure if it riding to high and if I need to more spacers I watch a video and everything I have seen is try to get the suspension more parallel then on an upward angle any info would be great I have not driven the truck yet

Depends on your driving style and if you do a lot of jumps. You want more ride height if you do a lot of
View attachment 91451 View attachment 91450 Question on the suspension here are some pics of the suspension set up I replaced all the oil in the shocks and used I believe was 35 wt it feels good when you push down on the truck just not sure if it riding to high and if I need to more spacers I watch a video and everything I have seen is try to get the suspension more parallel then on an upward angle any info would be great I have not driven the truck yet
big jumps. I have 40 wt all around with blue springs all around and have my suspension sitting lower than how you have yours. I like my setup to track nicely around turns but I enjoy occasional jumps so I don’t have my set up slammed too low either.

Great info thanks will leave it alone for now and try it out I still have a new engine to break in after the break in I will have some fun with it and see how it responds

If the appearance isn't the issue, I would Def run it as it is, feel it out and modify only if it doesn't suit your driving style. I wouldn't change it based on looks. Its looking GREAT as is!!!

I have moved onto the Kyosho mega force I checked everything and got all the electronics working I swapped the engine out for the one I purchased from Garth on here because it seemed in very almost new shape the problem I ran into is the one of the plastic gears In the electric starter stripped out so I swapped it for the other one but that also had a stripped gear in it any suggestions maybe swap over to pull start but it seems there are a lot of parts for the swap over and very expensive any suggestion would be great it has the kyosho gs15r engine in it

Is there a way to take good gears from one to replace the bad from the other? A 'make 1 from the 2' type of thing? How unique are the gears you need? It might be worth trying to contact someone like Robinson Racing (gear manufacturer) and see if they have any options for you. They are a great company to work with. I did not have a hand in this but I did follow a posting from some guys who were working on a 2 to 4wd conversion for RC10. They contacted Robinson and were able to work out some gear issues they had with that. These guys had nothing but good things to say about Robinson so I would Def call them if you can't source the parts you need on-line or thru eBay etc... The only other idea that I have for you would be possibly a Tiger Drive type of gear starting system.

Recieved the gear little plastic gear cost 12 shipped from Canada there really aren't any parts available for this truck I picked a couple new glow plugs and after some tunning I got her running runs pretty good I blew one glow plug not sure why but after another plug ran good it's not a power house truck but it will do for some bashing the trans is a one of a kind you can shift it from foward to reverse on the fly

I gotta ask... Was the trans DESIGNED for on the fly shifts like that? I'd hate to hear you smoked the trans because there wasn't a proper safety put on it! (If it WAS designed to take that shift... That is COOL! ) That must make for some extremely fun bashing!!! :cool::thumbs-up:
$12 for a gear? If that's all it took to get you going, that's pretty much a gift!

I was thinking the same thing but the manual doesn't state anything only that you can convert it over to foward only with brake but I don't have that linkage I would prefer that as I also feel that the transmission is going to get smoked typically I only run these nitro trucks in the park so foward only is usually my choice

I don't have an issue with using the reverse... The issue I have is that you can SLAM reverse... I like the reverse option in my Revo. I don't use it a whole lot, but usually whenã I do, I find that it's reverse OR a very long walk so I can move the front of the truck off an obstacle. I'm much too lazy for that sort of thing!!! :hehe:
Anyway, Traxxas uses an 'opti drive' system which is what keeps you from slamming reverse. Maybe some sort of retrofitting would be possible???

Thanks for the great info I understand what your saying about the transmission but this truck is going to only be run on a very limited bases due to the parts being very hard to find I think it will go out to the park so it can stretch its legs a little then will become a shelf queen maybe come out on special occasion next I have to find a body for it .

That sound like a solid plan. Looks like you're gonna have a couple NICE shelf queens with the new traxxas project. :thumbs-up: