repainting a body

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
If a body has been painted inside, is there any good options to repainting it or is it is what it is?

It is a bit of a mess. And a lot of this RC paint actually claims to become part of the body. But it depends on what it is painted with. But I have heard brake fluid actually damaged the surface of the body. I have never tried it.

Just buy vinyl wrap and wrap the outside.
Best method I found for recoloring. If its a crawler, you can spray the outside with rc paint. Rc paint will last longer then other spray on the outside, but the more crashes and rolls, the more chips.

Plastidip is another option.

I'm actually about to wrap my Ram 1500 Scx10 ii in very soon.

Most spray paint seems to seal. My Duratrax backing is coming off when rubbed with rubbing alcohol.

Just buy vinyl wrap and wrap the outside.
Best method I found for recoloring. If its a crawler, you can spray the outside with rc paint. Rc paint will last longer then other spray on the outside, but the more crashes and rolls, the more chips.

Plastidip is another option.

I'm actually about to wrap my Ram 1500 Scx10 ii in very soon.

Most spray paint seems to seal. My Duratrax backing is coming off when rubbed with rubbing alcohol.
This is a road racer old Associated 1:10 TC3 body. Hopefully there is some YouTube University on how to apply a wrap - but it does take a pretty brutal external beating.

Any harsh chemicals will melt or make the body's clearness look dull an ugly ,some paint
an light strippers will turn the body into putty or could even make the lexan very brittle!..😂

If you had the right paint ,It may be OK to paint the outside of the body!..👍😎
I dunno - they take quite a beating at the track. I guess since it is red, any scuffs may look like primer coming through - guess it can't hurt anything.

I sprayed my Mojave on the outside, some high wear areas show through but I figured the body was already pretty beat up it couldn't look any worse. You could just start covering every scuff with a sticker until it is completely covered. :)

In the crawler world you paint the outside then it starts looking cool as you mess it up. Get scrapes and scratches coming through. They make a adhesion paint to help it bond. If worried about the finish hit it with the matte shine to fix the sheen. Good way to fix crappy paint jobs.

If wrapping use 3m 1080 or 2080. Will be the easiest to work with. My vs4 is 4 years old. Couldn’t tell you how much poop this ones been through. That’s the original wrap I did 4 years ago. Metallic matte orange, matte black, and carbon. With a coat of metallic orange for backer.

Dark side studios on eBay sells some sick wraps to. They are a thicker material with reliefs for curves. I got one on my raminator. They do some awesome work.

Attachments

• 0BA624A6-2A16-410B-8D15-63A01B49DF14.jpeg
    0BA624A6-2A16-410B-8D15-63A01B49DF14.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 4FE7D2F3-0745-4FD5-A346-D90E44279C30.jpeg
    4FE7D2F3-0745-4FD5-A346-D90E44279C30.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 40
  • EAE3AAA7-A988-4239-8164-98C89FE24AEC.jpeg
    EAE3AAA7-A988-4239-8164-98C89FE24AEC.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 37