Removing Tires fom the Rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbons

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whats the best way to remove the tire from the rim without ruining the tire, and whats a good 40 series beadlock that is molded black and decently price. Thanks for any advice.

I just used the bake method a week or so ago and it worked pretty good. Unmounted a mountain of tires from rims (12 or 16, can't remember) and tore two. The two I tore had tears in them where the rim pinched them when running. They tore at those spots. The rest, with gentle pressure, pulled away from the bead pretty easily.

15 minutes on a cookie sheet with the oven at 350F. Make sure to use tin-foil on the sheet and do not let the tires overhang off the sheet as the heat from the stove will make direct contact and melt them. I messed up a couple of mine a little bit that way.

The "work in progress":
2010-0214-TireBake01.jpg

Now that I look at the photo, I actually did 20 tires. Still only tore two. I did what you see there and a set of old tattered t-maxx chevrons. I tore one of those and one of those proline road rage tires in the photo. As I said though, both had rips in them already from the rim pizza cutting through the bead.

You have to use some thick gloves to gently push the tire off the bead. Notice the kevlar baking gloves that are dirty on the stove... my wife wasn't too pleased about that or the burnt rubber smell. Oh yeah, it smells. ;) I found it easiest to put a rim under the rim of the tire I was pressing on.

I tried the boiling method in the past and it doesn't work as well. For me, it was 50/50 (2 out of 4 would tear before releasing). Water boils at around 200F and you have to get them warmer to get the CA to let loose. This was the first time I tried the baking method and it worked really well. If they don't push off the rim easily, just bake them a bit longer and try again. Some say you should let them cool and let the CA crystallize, I didn't try that. I pressed on them right out of the oven. Which is why I needed the gloves. With boiling, you end up saturating the foam with scalding water that has a tendency to squirt out and get you when your trying to push them off the rim.

Last edited:
Back