Removing powder coat??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Does anybody have a better method of removing powder coat other than sanding? I just picked up an RCRaven cage from Ebay and need to add more bracing to it. Sanding is taking forever and it's hard to into some areas I need to get to.

I say use a sanding drum on a dremmel, or a wire wheel on a hand held or benchtop grinder.

for a job like that, i would just use my handy dandy media blaster. however i realize most people dont have one sitting around, sorry bout that. unfortunitly for you, powdercoat is pretty tough stuff. to save time and aggrivation i would take it to a coaters and have them blast it clean. do whatever work you need to on it, then just get them to recoat it for you.

If you send me the pieces and pay shipping both ways, I will bead blast it for ya, which will leave it looking smooth and raw. Let me know. Thatd be your best bet.

Would sand blasting be safe? I just remembered my buddy works in a machine shop and can sand blast smaller items. I'm just not sure if it would pit the metal or not? I believe it's a steel cage because it does have a bit of weight to it.

Yeah its be totally fine. If ya had me do it, its actually be bead blasted where its actually small plastic beads. But sand would work to. I guess it depends on what psi its being done at. My dad sandblasted my old springs (On my old Maxx) for me, and it didnt pit them at all, and springs are pretty thin.

Cool then I'll have him do it on Monday then. Media blasting is cool stuff. My buddy had his Civic media blasted down to the factory primer. We were cleaning up those little balls for hours.

go to walmart i hate to say it, althoguh they have this stripper called Airplane stripper in the paint section. this stuff will eat the paint off the car to the metal. its about $5 for a quart which is quite a bit cause a quart will last a lifetime.. wear gloves cause it will eat the skin. after the stripper quits bubbling scrub it with a sos pad to take the excess off. usually there is nothing but metal when thtat stuff get to working.

Yeah that stuff is nasty! I used it to strip my hood once. It ate threw 5 layers of paint and primer right to the metal. The stuff in the aresol(sp?) can isn't that potent but the stuff in the paint cans is wicked!

Back