Removing liquid mask

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Who uses it? I have a body I'm painting for a Baja, and I used liquid mask for some graphics. It's been on there for quite a while, and I don't want to cut out the design if I might have trouble peeling it. I'll be using Frisket paper instead.
What's the best way to remove it?

Just peel it off. I like to use "baby wipes" from walmart to remove anything else but it should peel right off or roll off if you can roll it up from an edge.

Would that happen to be Woodie's Baja body? Yeah it comes off pretty easy, I just peel up a corner and it all comes off.

I have left lm on a long time and never had a problem with it coming up. The only time I ever had an issue with lm was the first time I ever used it, I put it on too thin, and it was a nightmare to get it off.

Would that happen to be Woodie's Baja body?

Yup, sure is. I've got a lot of things to get caught up on, and I just set up my spray equipment.

That might be the problem, NC. It's really thin, that's why I was wondering if there would be something to dissolve the stubborn spots.

You might try DA...I don't know I have always laid it on kinda thick or in multiple layers. I am not really sure what it is made of. Can't use something too aggressive or it might damage the Lexan.

I honestly believe it's a variation of waterbased (Elmers) Glue. It's very very similar. Liquid mask is just stronger, it bonds to itself better when dry.

NC. It's really thin, that's why I was wondering if there would be something to dissolve the stubborn spots.

It's not gonna be stubborn, you won't need to dissolve it, but it's going to come up in tiny little crumbs. I almost swore off lm after the first time, but once I learned to use at least 4 thick coats I love the stuff.

Not sure how you guys apply the stuff but an old guy who does sweet paint jobs said to cut it with Windex until it's thin enough to spray on with a airbrush. I have tried it a few times and it works very well, just figured I would share that.

I just pour a big glob in to the body then spread it with a brush in one direction, then the next coat gets spread in the opposite direction until I have applied 4 good heavy coats. I also let each coat thoroughly dry before applying the next coat. I don't think I want to be trying to clean that stuff out of my Iwata.

Great tip on the Windex. I wouldn't want to use it in my Iwata, either, but I have an 8 year old Paasche I'll try it in.
Maybe I'd be better off adding a few more coats till I know it will come off easily.

I don't think it would be that bad as long as you do what you always do after use. Regular maintenance stuff ya know.

I wouldn't use it in my Iwata either but you can get some brushes for $10, I use my old paasche and it cleans up perfect. Liquid mask is a water soluble latex (at least the stuff I have is) which dissolves in water, Windex or soap and water work great for cleaning up. You can also cut your acrylics with Windex if they are too thick, you want a milk like consistency for nice even flow. I'm not a pro painter at all but I have tried his suggestions and they seem to work great. Here are a couple of his bodies.

IMG_0657.jpg

I'll be the guinea pig. I didn't do an accurate measure, but it's a little heavier than 1:1 ratio and looks milky but not thick. I'm gonna put it through my Crescendo with a large tip/needle. Of course I'm gonna spray a scrap piece first, but if it turns out ok and is still strong enough I will cover my Mazda.

545636568_photobucket_18271_.gif

545636568_photobucket_18270_.gif

545636568_photobucket_18269_.gif

OK, this is after 1 coat (still wet).. I'm gonna do 4 and see how it cuts and lifts

545636568_photobucket_18278_.gif

Works like a dream, Certainly not as strong as 4 coats painted on but still strong enough to get off. Dries quickly too, probably do 4 coats and ready to cut in a half-hour.*edit* Spraying this in multiple thin coats is kinf of a waste of time. Even thinned this can be sprayed somewhat liberally.

545636568_photobucket_18301_.gif

Last edited: