Remote access to computer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I'm trying to get my cousin up and running with a new computer. Problem is, not only is he almost TOTALLY computer illiterate, but he's about 900 miles from here.

Once I get him set up and into Windows I can do the rest in about an hour with remote access, rather than spending several hours a day for days trying to talk him through it.

ie: What do you see on the screen?
Nothing.
What do you mean, nothing?
Nothing. It's black.
Have you turned on the monitor?
How do I do that?
(20 minutes later)
What do you see on the screen?
Nothing.
Nothing?
No. Just a picture of a garbage can and a white stripe across the entire screen.
That would be your 'Desktop' and the icon for the recycle bin. Describe the white line.
It's at the bottom and has a circle with colors and a blue e next to it.
That would be your start button and your Internet Explorer icon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, you get the idea. I've pulled out my hair, my mustache and now I'm starting on my eyebrows and lashes.

Anyone got a link to what I have to do and what I have to have him do in order for me to get into his comp?

Last edited:
Yep. Teamviewer. Setup an account for your machine and then send people the "for the instant customer" link when you need in.

I'll look into that right now.
Is it something we both have to download?

It is something you both have to download. For me the easiest thing to do is to have the end user download the TeamViewer QuickSupport from the downloads page, I normally just provide them this direct link.

Then all they need to do is wait for it to download then open the program. No install, no confusing steps. Once open ask them for the user ID and password that's shown on screen.

You can download the full program if you want to connect to their PC or you too can download the portable version from the downloads page as listed above, direct link.

Enter their user ID and password and you're good to go. Easy peasy.

I had Team Viewer installed and ready and last night I gave him the info on it. Unbelievable. It took me about 2 minutes when I installed it here, but...
I had to uninstall my version and then use IE and Bing since that's what came in his computer to get him to follow me click for click. It took over an hour just for him to get the program installed. I wonder why there isn't a much higher suicide toll amongst telephone tech support workers.
I couldn't give him a direct link since he didn't have his email account in the computer, yet.

Anyway, thanks WoodiE. Once I was in it was smooth sailing getting everything set up for him.

Last edited:
Know that feeling man. I get too pissed at computer-illiterates sometimes and just want to pour nitro fuel all over their keyboard,

Just think of the old ID-10T or PEBKAC errors.

Why do you think it's there? I still get to do IT support for the family. At least the new laptop is working well.

There is some freeware called Teamviewer that works really well, assuming he has internet access and you can talk him through the download. Once downloaded, both parties simply run the program and enter the "session" ID number and authentication number, and then you are in his machine.

Attachments

• Capture teamviewer.PNG
    Capture teamviewer.PNG
    69.8 KB · Views: 156
There is some freeware called Teamviewer that works really well, assuming he has internet access and you can talk him through the download. Once downloaded, both parties simply run the program and enter the "session" ID number and authentication number, and then you are in his machine.
You haven't read this thread from the beginning, have you?

I guess I was still mostly asleep at 6:27 am, waiting to give my daughter a ride to school.

Back