Redcat my take

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Where my review differs from other's is my experience. Some basic info first it's about a shockwave that has seen a 5 tank brake in an I'm on the 6th tank ready to tune. A few issues from the start has been a broken pull start(redcat sent a new one) fuel tank not screwed down tight enough which lead to the fuel line to the carb braking (4th tank in). Now this is user error but my receiver 6 volt pack died mid tank an lead to a crash in to a large open top dumpster at 25-30 mph. No damage I mean none lol.
Front tower did not bend ,so I can say it has held up ok. Sure the screws threw out the buggy back out a tad but it's not to bad. Some upgrades I'll just list them below in list form.
1-ball bearings
2- zip ties for easy fueling an for top of cooling head.
3 shock oil,springs based on ya need
4-receiver pack /charger
5-steering /throttle servos
-Tires if needed stock is not great but not the worse I've used/seen
6- shock position adjusted to your liking or need
7- use a good 20% brand of fuel
these few things will help an if u shop around you will be in to the buggy another 60-70ish bucks minus fuel cost

I'd like too add a few more parts an tweaking ideas. Keep In mind branded Hsp stormer parts fit an are less $ vs branded redcat parts. I'll do list form again.
1- spur/clutch bell for added speed or power
2- metal hubs
3-upgraded tune pipe/header
4- air filter
5- try 2wd vs 4wd
6- again shocks oil/springs an location
7- adding shock spacers if needed
8- o ring or fuel tubing for the dog bones in to the cups
As u can see I did not mention to many metal parts just the run of the mill parts an basic tuning .

Good posts. Love them or hate them, they are here to stay as an rc brand, its good to see someone giving some info on what can be needed to make them a more solid rig.

They get a bad rap. I've had 3 Redcats, 2 Nitro's, 1 electric. For the price they're ok. Sold both my Nitro's to a couple of buddies. 1 never gets run, the other one gets bashed hard. The only thing that has broken on it is the exhaust header. The electric has been tough as nails. Grandkids haven't broken it yet.

They get a bad rap. I've had 3 Redcats, 2 Nitro's, 1 electric. For the price they're ok. Sold both my Nitro's to a couple of buddies. 1 never gets run, the other one gets bashed hard. The only thing that has broken on it is the exhaust header. The electric has been tough as nails. Grandkids haven't broken it yet.
oh yeah brotha if you have some RC exp there very much usable. I wanna stress going over the RC right away an after each run be it one tank or 5 etc. I treated this buggy the same way like I do with all my nitros . I just see some outdated stuff on the chassis but to be honest branded Hsp parts can improve on the design. The upgrades granted most are metal (not needed) the few that are available can be a good thing for handling. With a .16 motor speed is not what I want. Punch off the line an tracking a straight line.
I have a few things to do today such as some of the adjustments I mentioned before to the shocks/location an springs. That is normal trial an error stuff even with a 300-500 rtr.

Good posts. Love them or hate them, they are here to stay as an rc brand, its good to see someone giving some info on what can be needed to make them a more solid rig.
I think taking it slow has helped me,I had a few issues but when I lost signal an I had no damage I was kinda happy. I knew I had to report my take even if it's not what people wanna here. I sure do wanna add if I had more $ the shockwave might of never been purchased .

My boss bought a tornado epx a couple weeks ago. I was surprised at how good it really was if you don't hit anything. It went vertical off one of those curvy curbs about 2 feet and landed on the rear end. Badly bent the shock tower and both rear dogbones...from 2 feet. Needs some upgrades.

My boss bought a tornado epx a couple weeks ago. I was surprised at how good it really was if you don't hit anything. It went vertical off one of those curvy curbs about 2 feet and landed on the rear end. Badly bent the shock tower and both rear dogbones...from 2 feet. Needs some upgrades.
that stinks,I'm kinda weary of some off road driving. I was thinking I might try 2wd over 4x4. I think the option of less traction will lead to me working the throttle along with smarter driving. I got my start with a first gen stadium Blitzer .I I've kinda op-ed for the 2wd trucks. Sad to see nitro 2wd's kinda fade over the past 5 years or so. I think redcats electric rtr do not interested me to much

Nice post. I think, if you can find them cheap, and are willing to spend the extra money on upgrades or spares, then go for it. However, if you can and are willing to save up for a higher tier one from a reputable brand then I'd do so. :)

to bad about the hyper 7 rtr.

Back