Redcat blackout xte

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beacon12566

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello group I have a redcat blackout xte that I'm having a problem with the steering. I have replaced the steering servo motor and vcc. The wheels to respond when I move the steering trim but not when I turn the wheel on the controller controller. If I swap the plug on the vcc I get the steering to work but lose the throttle. Anyone have any idea.

More info needed. What radio? Is your dual rate turned down on the steering channel?

Hello group I have a redcat blackout xte that I'm having a problem with the steering. I have replaced the steering servo motor and vcc. The wheels to respond when I move the steering trim but not when I turn the wheel on the controller controller. If I swap the plug on the vcc I get the steering to work but lose the throttle. Anyone have any idea.
Which radio? Has the radio been dropped recently? Is it the stock electronics?

I am having a different issue with my redcat blackout xte pro. Ran it last weekend through a lot of water. It stopped working. I took all the electronics out (steering servo, receiver, and esc) I put it in rice for a few days to dry out. I hooked it up to power on the third day (fitting for Easter and the rising of Christ from the dead on the 3rd day)...Anywho, nothing works except the esc fan turns on. No steering or throttle control. I even disconnected the steering to see if steering servo was the problem (thank you to person that responded to another thread I sent). However, throttle still not working even without steering servo connected. I am concerned I may need to replace the receiver. Any thoughts on more troubleshooting. I love this hobby but I feel every time I have a good thing going, one of my kids or their friends jack my sh*t up! I'm not mad, just saying.

It is likely the Rx then. But rather than spend money to replace a stock Redcat Rx, I would buy a new radio to start. You can get the Flysky GT3B on Amazon for $40. Great radio for the money, and you can program in 10 different RC's into it by simply buying more Rx's to put in other cars. I would start there. The ESC main board should be potted (embedded in epoxy), so it should have survived. Not guaranteed though. But odds are the Rx fried.

Last edited:
This is a follow up to my previous thread regarding troubleshooting my rig. I took your advice WickedFog and purchased the Flysky GT3B radio and receiver and got everything running again. The only concern is it runs in reverse faster than it does forward. I think I may have reprogrammed the esc when trying to troubleshoot things initially. I am new to programming and reprogramming esc's. Any and all advice on redcat esc programming will be helpful. I have reviewed the manual for the esc. I will make an attempt to getting it running right this weekend...hopefully! Thanks again to WickedFog who recommended getting a new radio. I also got few more receivers so I can program other vehicles to the radio.

The only concern is it runs in reverse faster than it does forward. I think I may have reprogrammed the esc when trying to troubleshoot things initially.
Does your motor "brake" if you run it reverse, then forward? If so, you have two of your motor/esc wires setup wrong. Otherwise it could be your transmitter settings for channel 2.