Redcat Blackout gearing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have what i think is a simple question. Right now, i have my Blackout set up with a 3S system i robbed from a Hobby King Quanam Vandal, that seems to work well, but, that is only if i run it on 3S. If i switch to 2S, it runs like crap and has no speed, so I'm assuming it is due to gearing, so, my question is, to make it work on 2S, should i go with a smaller or larger pinion?

I have what i think is a simple question. Right now, i have my Blackout set up with a 3S system i robbed from a Hobby King Quanam Vandal, that seems to work well, but, that is only if i run it on 3S. If i switch to 2S, it runs like crap and has no speed, so I'm assuming it is due to gearing, so, my question is, to make it work on 2S, should i go with a smaller or larger pinion?
smaller pinion, more torque less speed
larger pinion, more speed, less torque

Smaller spur gear, more speed less torque
larger spur gear, less speed, more torque

smaller pinion, more torque less speed
larger pinion, more speed, less torque

Smaller spur gear, more speed less torque
larger spur gear, less speed, more torque
I'm stuck with the spur, because they only make the one for it as far as i know, so my only way of changing it is by changing the pinion, but I'm not sure if i should go smaller or larger with it, and i can't find any charts for it anywhere. Right now, its a 17/55, if i remember correctly, but, i haven't checked it in awhile.

Last edited:
I'm stuck with the spur, because they only make the one for it as far as i know, so my only way of changing it is by changing the pinion, but I'm not sure if i should go smaller or larger with it, and i can't find any charts for it anywhere.
i would imagine given that you dropped a cell, you are losing power (voltage) so in that case i would imagine that you would need to gear it for more torque, less speed. I'm guessing it feels really hesitant and sluggish at the moment. in that case try dropping a tooth or two with the pinion.

i would imagine given that you dropped a cell, you are losing power (voltage) so in that case i would imagine that you would need to gear it for more torque, less speed. I'm guessing it feels really hesitant and sluggish at the moment. in that case try dropping a tooth or two with the pinion.
The thing i hate most about messing with the gearing in that truck is just how long it takes to get to the gears. IIRC, when i put the 3S set up in it, i spent a couple hours on it because its such a pain to work on, which is why i bought a Granite (well, that was part of the reason anyway), so maybe i should just put that set up in that instead and see what happens. Knowing my luck though, it will be constant breakage, since mine is the MEGA and not the 3S version.

The thing i hate most about messing with the gearing in that truck is just how long it takes to get to the gears. IIRC, when i put the 3S set up in it, i spent a couple hours on it because its such a pain to work on, which is why i bought a Granite (well, that was part of the reason anyway), so maybe i should just put that set up in that instead and see what happens. Knowing my luck though, it will be constant breakage, since mine is the MEGA and not the 3S version.
at the moment i have a mega converted to brushless, (its actually the lady's truck), so far been good i am not holding my breath on the spur/slipper assembly, but pretty much just get the HD input shafts and good to go. now really a whole lot of difference between the mega and the BLX besides the slipper and input shafts. (obviously the electronics).

at the moment i have a mega converted to brushless, (its actually the lady's truck), so far been good i am not holding my breath on the spur/slipper assembly, but pretty much just get the HD input shafts and good to go. now really a whole lot of difference between the mega and the BLX besides the slipper and input shafts. (obviously the electronics).
Is this the gear you mean? https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310773 Someone else told me i would need this gear (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310873) from a 3S truck, and, because it is a 13T and not a 17T that i would also need the diff's, as well as the slipper assembly, spur gear, and pinion gear, but, if the HD 17T will hold up, that makes the parts bill and rebuild a bit easier. I know ill need the 3S slipper assembly, and already have that on my list, along with the Typhon parts to make it wider, but i have been on the Arrma forum getting a parts list so i can do it all at once, instead of little by little. Another thing i have read is, you can't run the 3S slipper without using the adjustable motor mount, so now I'm looking into that.

Is this the gear you mean? https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310773 Someone else told me i would need this gear (https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310873) from a 3S truck, and, because it is a 13T and not a 17T that i would also need the diff's, as well as the slipper assembly, spur gear, and pinion gear, but, if the HD 17T will hold up, that makes the parts bill and rebuild a bit easier. I know ill need the 3S slipper assembly, and already have that on my list, along with the Typhon parts to make it wider, but i have been on the Arrma forum getting a parts list so i can do it all at once, instead of little by little. Another thing i have read is, you can't run the 3S slipper without using the adjustable motor mount, so now I'm looking into that.
My LHS guy told me the 17T input gear above is what people around here have been using when upgrading the Mega to be able to use brushless, so far it has held up for me.
yes you are probably going to need the adjustable motor mount from the BLX as the gear pitch is different between the trucks think the Mega is 48P and the BLX is 0.8M/32P so unless you modify the motor plate the holes pre-drilled wont match up. BLX one has a metal motor plate anyway so id just swap.
what parts are you taking from the typhon? A-arms and axles? curious about this swap lol

My LHS guy told me the 17T input gear above is what people around here have been using when upgrading the Mega to be able to use brushless, so far it has held up for me.
yes you are probably going to need the adjustable motor mount from the BLX as the gear pitch is different between the trucks think the Mega is 48P and the BLX is 0.8M/32P so unless you modify the motor plate the holes pre-drilled wont match up. BLX one has a metal motor plate anyway so id just swap.
what parts are you taking from the typhon? A-arms and axles? curious about this swap lol
I've been told you need the a-arms, turnbuckles, and rod ends from the Typhon to make the Granite a bit wider, which will help stability, but I'm still trying to get a straight answer on if the parts are direct fit or have to be modified in any way first.

I finally got a bit more clarity on this. It seems you can use the new MEGA and BLX parts, with the difference being, the MEGA has all plastic arms, and the BLX has turnbuckles and rod ends, so for 3S, its better to use the BLX parts, and the MEGA parts for 2S.

Back