Red Hat 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I just installed Red Hat 8.0, and I must say...it is AWESOME!

This has got to be the best distro of Linux I have ever tried. The interface is unlike any copy of linux I have tried. The new KDE gives it an almost a Windows XP interface.

Check out www.redhat.com and look over the screen shots and some features it comes with. You can even download it from the site also, but get ready its gonna take a while...its a total of 3 CD's 5 if you count the source code CD's.

-WoodiE

Ok, I;m confused what is Linux?? Is it like windows or somthing that protects your system or what????? Help me out in this one. I was looking on the site and I didn't really understand nothing and it just looked like another windows type thing.

HELL YEA!! LINUX THATS THE STUFF!!! :banana: THATS ALL I USE! WHEN THEY MAKE REDHAT 8?!?1

my 2 cents LINUX BLOWS its way beyond sucks but thats my personal opion so don't get mad and flame me cause its just what I think and you have a right to your opion. Actually as a server its great but I am a true Flag Man. BIll gates keeps me gainfully employed. X

my comp has been on for 2 months almost on linux!

Thats tha same thing I was thinking LOL:sneaky:

Ahhh, a world without windows.......

I'm still stuck with Windows 98 for my main PC, but I have Mandrake Linux 8.x on a workstation and server here at home.
Very stable, and very secure.
MS Windows will be around forever, because it appeals to the masses, and does it very well. Linux is becoming a budget alternative for computer savvy folks who don't mind putting in a little "wrench time" to get their systems up to snuff. And Linux offers a cheap (free) way to get secure, reliable web and e-mail services suited for small and large enterprises.

It is another operating system:

Win 2k Advanced Server
Novell
Unix
Linux (Red Hat)
HP UX
NT

Etc Etc Etc.........

I am familiar with only the Win 2k, the rest of the words on that line are foreign to me as well as the other lines. You said operating system which I am familiar with Windows and Mac. What is that other jibberish you posted?

NOS should have been the better statement.

Network Operating System.

Most of the ones I listed are NOS. But, Linux, Unix and HP UX can be used as both a workstation or a server.

Originally posted by El Pirata
So network, like as in a web site? Or operating system like what runs your computer?

Actually I guess you can say both.
The OS is what runs on your computer and gives you that nice graphical (point and click) interface. UNIX and Linux operating systems are known for their command line interfaces (like DOS), but they now have a graphical interface like MS Windows to make it easier to use. Most distributions of Linux can be had for free, and Apache web server (the worlds most popular), can be dowloaded for free as well. Why pay MS $$$ for software that doesn't always work, when you can get better software for free. I would venture to guess that this server is not running a Microsoft operating system.

Note: I am not a MS hater, I just mangage some HP and Sun systems, and dabble in Linux at home.

Ill fly with you on that one :cheers:

almost any flavor of unix is about the most secure platform, when done right, to run on. awesome choice.

Hey El - You lost?

:madface: