Recommendations for an 8 yr. old

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RalphTomaccio

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My grandson is wanting an RC truck or buggy for Christmas and, after spending a lot of time on-line looking at all the choices, I find that I can really use some recommendations from those who enjoy this sport. Please keep in mind that I have a maximum budget of $100.00. I know this appears to be at the lowest entry point for hobby level RC, but I can't spend more - sorry. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck and as much quality as one can expect at this price point. Replaceable and repairable are good points.

Suggestions?

I wish I could give you a good recommendation for a rc for that price range but I can't. You could get him a mail order off brand like exceeds or redcat but I don't recommend either of those. You will play havick getting replacement parts and there not durable. You would be better off either getting him something different or spending the extra $100 and sticking with a good brand like traxxas, losi, or hpi.

Welcome to the site Ralph. I think you will find it very difficult for anyone to give you a good entry level vehicle for $100. Most rtr (ready to run) will cost you in the neighborhood of $300 just for the vehicle. When you factor in batteries, charger and a couple of odds and ends I would feel comfortable saying $400 would be bare bones to start for a hobby grade rc. There are certainly vehicles available for you to purchase new for $100 or less but they would fall under the dreaded cheapo rc titles. New Bright rc makes a few cool looking vehicles and last i saw Tyco was still around. They both could be had for $100 or less but if they break there is no replacement part support of any sorts that are offered.

If you did choose to spend the extra coin to get started you may want to consider a manufacturer like Traxxas. They are well supported at virtually every hobby shop and offer a vast array of different types of vehicles. They have a Monster Jam lineup that features the likes of Gravedigger, Maximum Destruction and Monster Mutt. I believe most of those could be had for around $300.

Good luck in the search!!

At 8 years old, a budget of $100 will get him an enjoyable RC from Walmart, Toys R us or Radio Shack. They're a perfect intro for a kid his age.

ECX has their newer 1/18 line with two vehicles, Ruckus and Torment, they're right at $100 but out of stock. I don't know too much about these particular models, but ECX has a pretty good reputation as budget entry level vehicles. You could try ebay, but may not get the warranty support that Horizon Hobby is known for. Do you have a local hobby shop that is a HH seller?

Almost forgot to warn you......Any Rc that you buy is a money pit, that $100.00 might get him going but it will need something that cost money very soon!

ECX has their newer 1/18 line with two vehicles, Ruckus and Torment, they're right at $100 but out of stock. I don't know too much about these particular models, but ECX has a pretty good reputation as budget entry level vehicles. You could try ebay, but may not get the warranty support that Horizon Hobby is known for. Do you have a local hobby shop that is a HH seller?
I know that Hobbytown usa has them. They have brick n mortar stores all over. I was in there (Mason OH) and saw the 1/18 they prob had 60-70 plus a wall of ecx parts.

Thanks for you help. After many hours of searching and comparing prices and availability, I settled on this Domida 1/18th DB4 from Tower Hobbies. $95.00 They had the best price w/discount and free shipping:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEPML&P=ML
attachment.jpg

I appreciate everyones help! Merry Christmas to all and to all good racing!

Just make sure to have the packs charged and batteries for the transmitter before you wrap it.

Just make sure to have the packs charged and batteries for the transmitter before you wrap it.
When I was a kid, Santa never charged batteries before leaving them at my house, and they seemed to all come with 8hr (or longer) chargers.

When I was a kid, Santa never charged batteries before leaving them at my house, and they seemed to all come with 8hr (or longer) chargers.

Heh. I have fond memories of Tyco's 4-hour "fast" charger.

Batteries hadn't been invented yet. I had to push them while on my hands and knees. Tough to break such an old habit.
On Sundays we had to push Dad's car to the church on asphalt.

Back