Received an Nitro HPI RS4 Viper(Help getting into running conditon)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbmp1390

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all, so here is my problem. I used to race electric rcs, mostly an electric tc3, but haven't used that car in years. Recently my father gave me his HPI RS4 Viper. He bought it about five years ago after watching me race, but rather than take my advice and start small with and electric he went straight for a $600 nitro. He got it home, assembled it, and began to run it outside the house. He then realized that he could not control this car, it's just to powerful. He blamed frequency issues, but I know the truth haha. Anyway, he ran the car that one time, got discouraged, and since then it has literally sat in the box in our garage for almost the last 5 years. After I received the car, I began looking it over and the 2 main things I've noticed are. The battery cradle within the car which holds the double A's is almost cracked in half on both sides on the outer end of the cradle. Also, the fuel tank leaks as soon as you try to pump gas into the lines. So what I'd like to know is if there is any chance of salvaging this car? Without dropping a bunch of money on it? It's a cool car, but I don't have the time, money, or patience to mess with this thing for very long. So, can this be fairly easily and cheaply fixed? Or is it likely to be a waste of time and money? Thanks for reading. I appreciate any help. I can post pics if anyone would like.

Post us up some pics, it will be easier to get help if its visible damage.

Thanks for the replies. Here are some pics of the car, and battery cradle. Sorry I had trouble getting close enough to show underneath the fuel tank where it seems to be leaking.

IMG_9683.jpg

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

Ditch the AA holder, and get a RX pack. They're cheap, and work much better on the RS4, don't ask how I know :D.

Pull the tank and look for a crack that would lead to the leaking, there's only two screws holding them in on the RS4.

I'd pitch that battery holder and get a rechargeable hump pack then buy a new fuel tank and swap it out. Very minor when it comes to this hobby. The battery swap is a must IMO even on a brand new rig.

Thats an RS4 2 and has been discontinued for over 10 years. I agree though, ditch the aa holder and buy a hump pack, and you can get a new fuel tank fairly cheap. stock up on some spare belts too, if you use this in a parking lot or the street you will tear em up.

Thanks again for the replies guys. I figured the tank might need to be replaced. It's been sitting in a garage for years so the tank might just be cracked from temperature variation and old age. Could anyone give me a link or a pic of what type of "hump pack"(never heard that term) I should get for this car. Thanks again guys :D