Rebuilding the 2Pede.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick2500

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So way back in 2015 I saw a 2wd Stampede XL-5 on Facebook for $45 so I ran down and picked it up from the guy. It came completely rtr, charger, 7 cell 3300mah Traxxas nimh battery, the nimh wall charger and the old school fishing pole antenna Tq radio. It had 2 bent shock shafts, both the front king pins were bent and the body was in rather rough shape around the post holes.

20151102_203857.jpg

20151104_101314.jpg

Well over the years it had been stripped of parts and by 2017 it looked like this.
jjXAz2G.jpg

So recently I decided it was time to let the 2Pede shine again.
Initially I had it at this point. Cheap brushed esc, cheap brushed motor, eBay crappy aluminum shocks, Traxxas rear aluminum hub carriers and an Arrma ADS-7m servo.
20201130_005922 (1).jpg

But I didn't really care for that setup so I went a bit crazy and this is where I am at so far. Arrma BLX100 esc(I think I might stick a Max10 SCT RTR in it though), Castle 1410 3800kv motor, Traxxas Ultra shocks( I should have went with GTRs), a DS3225mg servo, VXL turnbuckles and Proline Mashers.
20210318_213107.jpg

Right now I am still waiting on a boatload of parts to get it to where I want it.

The wife uses a Stampede and she wont let me change nothing. I did however put a cheap amazon brushless motor in it to give it a bit more speed. Fun trucks regardless.

I put a new proline transmission in mine and HR transmission cases for the other two. One of those has the HR sealed diff. Crazy stuff!!!

I put a new proline transmission in mine and HR transmission cases for the other two. One of those has the HR sealed diff. Crazy stuff!!!
As nice as the Proline transmission looks I just cannot justify the cost. How do you like the HR sealed diff, I have been looking into that as I hate the fact that the stock diff isn't sealed.

I agree the proline was very expensive. Got it for Christmas and I’m 61. HR diff case is well made and hasn’t leaked yet. I watched you tube for tips how to install.

If you decide to keep the stock diff, you should consider Bad Horsie Diff Locking Grease. It super thick and I’ve run it in multiple 2wd vehicles, nitro and electric powered, with no problems. I actually just got 2 more tubs in and used it in a Traxxas transmission that I’m rebuilding. I’m actually about to do a complete tear down and rebuild of my Slash 4x4 and I’ll probably be putting this in the diffs while I’m at it. It helped stop that side to side wobble during wheelies and I could swing the rear end around instead of doing the old one wheel wonder. I also noticed it in braking, sometimes the inner rear wheel would lift and I could actually see it start to spin backwards because of the open diff. This meant the tire that still had traction now had no braking force, this stuff fixed that.

If you decide to keep the stock diff, you should consider Bad Horsie Diff Locking Grease. It super thick and I’ve run it in multiple 2wd vehicles, nitro and electric powered, with no problems. I actually just got 2 more tubs in and used it in a Traxxas transmission that I’m rebuilding. I’m actually about to do a complete tear down and rebuild of my Slash 4x4 and I’ll probably be putting this in the diffs while I’m at it. It helped stop that side to side wobble during wheelies and I could swing the rear end around instead of doing the old one wheel wonder. I also noticed it in braking, sometimes the inner rear wheel would lift and I could actually see it start to spin backwards because of the open diff. This meant the tire that still had traction now had no braking force, this stuff fixed that.
I totally forgot about that stuff. Their website has been rather flakey lately. I've been trying to figure out something to stick in the diff in my Ecx Ruckus and Torment.

I totally forgot about that stuff. Their website has been rather flakey lately. I've been trying to figure out something to stick in the diff in my Ecx Ruckus and Torment.
Yeah, it’s been years since I’ve ordered from them and you never hear about them anymore. I figured PayPal would give me my money back if that had gone out of business, so I wasn’t concerned about the money.... I just didn’t want to have to find something else. I didn’t get the confirmation email they mention at checkout but I did get the locking grease and shock socks like a week or so later, so I’m glad they’re still around.

Yeah, it’s been years since I’ve ordered from them and you never hear about them anymore. I figured PayPal would give me my money back if that had gone out of business, so I wasn’t concerned about the money.... I just didn’t want to have to find something else. I didn’t get the confirmation email they mention at checkout but I did get the locking grease and shock socks like a week or so later, so I’m glad they’re still around.
I think it's just issues with their web host.

I forgot how bad the Ultra Shocks are..... I ran it once on 2s and I wasn't even beating on it.
View attachment 126211
E8E932B3-1FED-4370-AB03-1A4ADD499D27.jpeg

Yeah, I originally went with the Traxxas ti-ni shafts but I got tired of popping the caps off and having to clean shock fluid off my truck. I ended up going with the stock shocks from the old Losi Ten-T, they’ve held up for years. I know the Ten-T has been gone for a while though, I wonder what eBay chop shop shocks are worth it now.

View attachment 126221

Yeah, I originally went with the Traxxas ti-ni shafts but I got tired of popping the caps off and having to clean shock fluid off my truck. I ended up going with the stock shocks from the old Losi Ten-T, they’ve held up for years. I know the Ten-T has been gone for a while though, I wonder what eBay chop shop shocks are worth it now.
Did the TEN-T use the same shocks as the TEN-SCBE? The Tenacity platform is very similar to the TEN and shares a lot of parts, I might have to check out the shocks for the DB-Pro.

Did the TEN-T use the same shocks as the TEN-SCBE? The Tenacity platform is very similar to the TEN and shares a lot of parts, I might have to check out the shocks for the DB-Pro.
Not sure, I was thinking the same thing but I haven’t needed to research them lately.

Here is my list of what I have in it.
Rpm A arms all around.
Rpm front bumper.
Rpm rod ends.
Traxxas VXL turnbuckles and camber links.
Traxxas wheelie bar.
Traxxas chassis dyed black.
Traxxas green front and rear skid plates.
Traxxas aluminum rear hubs.
Atomik aluminum shock caps.
Atomik aluminum front c hubs and axle carriers.
Hobbywing 10BL50 esc.
Castle 1410 1Y 3800kv non sensored motor.
Proline low pro body mounts.
Proline 2.8 Mashers.
Proline 56 Ford F100 painted with Tamiya PS14 Copper.
STRC hinge pins.
eBay aluminum front hinge pin retainer.
Hot Racing sealed diff.
DS3225MG servo.
Traxxas Rustler 4x4 rear driveshafts.

I still need to get some new shocks and I think I want to do the wide mod.

Back