Rear Diff on a Micro RS4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddybnj_2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Okay.. can someone in "REAL BASIC" terms explain the rear diff concept and how it actually works... I think I understand front one way diffs.. only engages when the throttle is engaged then releases to let the two front tires freewheel... but what about the rear diff.. I have a ball diff and I installed it but I must be doing something wrong.. because both tires wont even turn when I give throttle... they barely move.??? Help!

Sounds like the diff is set too loose. Does the drive belt move? it should. If the rear ball diff is too loose, the diff will slip and neither rear tire will provide power to the ground. I don't think you can have it too tight, but damage might occur if you really crank down on it.

The diff basicly provides a differential between the front or rear tires in a turn. Without it, the car would tend to understeer.

A 1 way diff isn't really a diff per se, it does allow for the different radiuses of turn, but the it different than a true diff.

It's late and I don't think I explained that real good.

how would I loosen or tighten the diff?

either too loose or too tight. If looking from the back of the car it is the wheel on the right, tighten or losen this nut for adjustment of the diff. You running the HPI, or the Team orion, or the GPM?

I believe it's an hpi ball diff? Okay..I'll try that thanks...

How do you know when you've tightened or loosened the diff too much? I figure too tight.... is when the motor wont turn the wheels or the spur.. but what about too loose.. if the spur turns but the wheels don't when the car is on the ground I would guess but what would be the right amount... (Am I answering my own questions??? LOL) ??????

What you want is to tighten it just enough so that when both tires are on the ground, and you try to move the spur with your finger, there's a godd ammount a resistance with little slip. Any tighter and it'll cause problems. Any looser and the spur and diff will slip when you give it throttle.

Back