RC Nitro Tuning Info Conflict

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acid$

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello - Can anyone assist.

I have a used Savage X and cuts out when the throttle is applied (the longer I leave it the more throttle I can apply - upto 1/3rd).

Looks like a tuning issue, so am ready to start tuning - read up on the manual and on the RC forum here.

I see a conflict with the HSN adjustment.

The on-line manual for my 4.2 states adjust clockwise to lean the mixture.
The RC Sticky troubleshooting Tuning flowchart https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832 states clockwise to rich.

One of these appears to be incorrect - any advise. Note I was unable to attach my snapshots due to forum limitation on doc types (does not support 2010 MS Word format).

Everything I read in the flowchart says "counter-clockwise to richen". Which is correct. Not sure where you saw the opposite...

Maybe Recat is like that on the needles cause they are so lame, but every nitro I have owned is what is stated above ^^.

Hopefully you didnt mess anything up by tuning the needles backwards.

You increase the idle by adjusting the idle screw clockwise. That's the only thing I notice as being clockwise in the sticky.

You increase the idle by adjusting the idle screw clockwise. That's the only thing I notice as being clockwise in the sticky.

That's correct. Think of the idle adjustment as a volume knob. Clockwise and the engine gets louder.
The HSN and LSN are like outside water faucets. More water? Open them up counter clockwise. Turn down the flow? Clockwise, or to your right.

Only way it would be opposite is if it was reverse thread, and reverse thread is used only on things that usually spin in the direction that would loosen a normal thread bolt or nut.

In carb settings there are no spinning parts so it will still be normal...

clockwise= lean counterclockwise=rich or another words ( righty tighty=lean lefty loosey=rich )

Ok - I had to turn counter clockwise - a lot - it was very very lean.

Bad news is I left the air filter off the second time (not on purpose). Expensive mistake - new piston, liner and con-rod required.

Thanks for all assitance.
Please do not 'kill' me for forgetting the air filter - surely I am not the first...

Newbies full into the "Blanket Forgiveness Policy".
No matter how much you learn here, you'll still make a few mistakes on your own. :)

Back