RC Body repair

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrencher65

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have an XMAXX, but this applies to any RC bodies. I have Shoe Goo and Drywall taped body inside, but would like to strengthen a crease along the back bed that is popping up. Any ideas to glue or screw on a piece of ridged plastic strip or something else to prevent rear half from bending more? And what plastic to use or is there another material that is better? Thanks for any input.

Morning, are you talking about the as* end. From doing wheelies?? Like just after the rear post on the cage attache to the body...

Morning, are you talking about the as* end. From doing wheelies?? Like just after the rear post on the cage attache to the body...
Good morning, yes there is a crease along body width of rear end right above the internal body brace. So I was considering attaching a plastic strip on the top or under the body running lengthwise on crease. Course I could add more drywall tape and Goo, but I thought maybe adding a strip of plastic perpendicular and over crease may stop more damage. Thanks

I put two layers of tape and goo. On my Xmaxx. Along with my Kra8. You could also pick up a piece of carbon fiber 1-2mm thick.off Amazon or anywhere. And fab it to attach to the cage bolts on the inside of body. Or a thin aluminum plate to fit the rear end. In the same spot. Do you do alot of big air?

Can you post up a pick of where your thinking of adding the strip of reinforcement. When you get time too...
You could also cut strips of what material you choose. And fab them to fit the grooves. And bolt threw them with the rear cage bolts
Or you could just layer up that area with the tape and goo... I personally use self sticking tape and then spread the goo over it..

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks. I don’t do any Big air with XMAXX. The rear half is really banged up. I did add the roof skid plate. Here is a pict. Hopefully you can see the crease along the rear bed between those two screws. If I did attach a plastic strip would you glue or bolt on perpendicular to crease on both sides? Any thoughts? Or maybe just use Gorilla tape or more Goo to inside.

IMG_6162.jpeg

Hi, Thanks. I don’t do any Big air with XMAXX. The rear half is really banged up. I did add the roof skid plate. Here is a pict. Hopefully you can see the crease along the rear bed between those two screws. If I did attach a plastic strip would you glue or bolt on perpendicular to crease on both sides? Any thoughts? Or maybe just use Gorilla tape or more Goo to inside.

View attachment 169281
Yea the Xmaxx body is famous for bending there. From doing wheelies is how it happens. When the body catches the ground.. There's a couple ways to go about it. It comes down to how you would like to do it. Could also make a back plate on the rear of body. Above bumper when doing wheelies it slides on plate...
It's really hard the get it stop completely. You could always run two bodies. Or you can invest in the indestructible bodies

Yea the Xmaxx body is famous for bending there. From doing wheelies is how it happens. When the body catches the ground.. There's a couple ways to go about it. It comes down to how you would like to do it. Could also make a back plate on the rear of body. Above bumper when doing wheelies it slides on plate...
It's really hard the get it stop completely. You could always run two bodies. Or you can invest in the indestructible bodies
Thanks for the help. Put some clear Gorilla tape on top and some black stuff underneath. Maybe it will prolong the life. Suppose I could remove Wheelie bar too and practice abstinence. Lol

Thanks for the help. Put some clear Gorilla tape on top and some black stuff underneath. Maybe it will prolong the life. Suppose I could remove Wheelie bar too and practice abstinence.
Are you still running the stock VXL system. You could always turn your esc into different mode. And it won't have as much power. And won't do so many wheelies. But what's the fun it that. The bodies are built to break and soften the bashing to the truck. Unless driven in circles your body will get torn up.

Thanks for the help. Put some clear Gorilla tape on top and some black stuff underneath. Maybe it will prolong the life. Suppose I could remove Wheelie bar too and practice abstinence. Lol
I am running stock, but that is a good idea to tune it down. It’s just surprising how quick XMAXX body was banged up versus my Hoss. I suppose the overall weight doesn’t help the XMAXX bodies from surviving. I really don’t want to but I will probaby shoe goo the new body under that rear support right away when I get it. And that is a good point that it is easy to overlook that the body is just not for looks, but for protection too.

Can you cut the body to keep it from catching the ground? Or adjust the weelie bar so it does not catch?

Hi, Thanks. Doesn’t appear that cutting body would help as it sits inside the rear bumper. Would have to cut most of the rear area to accommodate the bumper movement. The Wheelie bar doesn’t catch in the same way as my Traxxas Rustler did, which did destroy the rear body on wheelies. Wonder now if I really did the main damage when I slid under a car and telescoped and squished my body rearward. When I removed body then, it popped back in length. I did reinforce outer and inner area of crease and it seemed to help when I ran it today. Thanks for your input.

If you were to remove the wheelie bar. You will definitely destroy the body for sure. And with the X in full race mode. The truck would be doing back flips all the time. Or at least just keep flipping backwards.

And i would definitely stay away from using the auto flip. It's got to be the dumbest option traxxas has come up with. Along with there electronics.. you got to be in the rite conditions for it to work properly.

Yes I
If you were to remove the wheelie bar. You will definitely destroy the body for sure. And with the X in full race mode. The truck would be doing back flips all the time. Or at least just keep flipping backwards.

And i would definitely stay away from using the auto flip. It's got to be the dumbest option traxxas has come up with. Along with there electronics.. you got to be in the rite conditions for it to work properly.
agree. Good insurance to keep wheelie bar. I added clear Gorilla tape on top over crease and two small Black tape patches along crease underneath or right below the frame support bar. Seems to have helped so far. 😁