Quick Lipo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newb86

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so if i got this right there is no need to discharge a lipo before charging even if you use it for only 5 min. or so, because they build no memory correct?

Ok so if i got this right there is no need to discharge a lipo before charging even if you use it for only 5 min. or so, because they build no memory correct?

No, you don't want to discharge a lipo. In fact, you can't discharge a lipo below 3.0 volts per cell or it won't take a charge again. If you purchase a lipo, you need a lipo charger and a balancer to balance the cells or a charger with a balancer built in.

Yeah got all that just was wondering if you can just go ahead and charge a half discharged battery that is not to is "safe" discharge range

---------- Post added at 7:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:40 PM ----------

like i said before maybe you only ran it for about 5 min or so is it ok to just charge it without doing a discharge then charge cycle on the charger

Yeah got all that just was wondering if you can just go ahead and charge a half discharged battery that is not to is "safe" discharge range

---------- Post added at 7:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:40 PM ----------

like i said before maybe you only ran it for about 5 min or so is it ok to just charge it without doing a discharge then charge cycle on the charger

You can top off a lipo just like any other pack. Depending on how long you ran it you should balance it too. I've started balancing my lipo's on every charge, I used to just charge them.

No, you don't want to discharge a lipo. In fact, you can't discharge a lipo below 3.0 volts per cell or it won't take a charge again.

Although it is true you do not want to OVER discharge a lipo as it will cause permanent damage to it, it is not true that you shouldn't discharge them at all. I just started using Lipo's very recently and I'm starting the habit of discharging them after I race for storage because I don't plan to use them for about 2 weeks or until I race again. My chargers have Lipo Store mode which will discharge/charge to 60% capacity. My Hyperian manual suggets to use store mode for lithium packs that won't be used for a week or more. I REALLY like this feature as I feel confident that my packs are being maintained for longevity, something I've struggled with over the years.

OK i know that the nominal is 7.4 on a 2s but most people say and my charger also runs to 8.4 max it it safe to over charge by .5v on each cell?

---------- Post added at 8:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:15 PM ----------

Just let remind everyone I'm kinda a rookie at the lipo or even electric at that matter always ran Nitro just picked up a Rustler VXL and put in a CC Sidwinder 5700kv just trying to do things right the first time so I'm not replacing stuff because of my error

I believe 8.4 is right for a "7.4" pack. My "11.1" packs are full at 12.6, which gives me 25.2 in the maxx......ohhhhhh yeah!