Questions on different vehicles.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Longmire.MMA170

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Okay so as I stated in my post introducing myself as a new member and rc owner in general, I’ve got some questions. I have the Tmaxx 3.3 and I love it. But I also want something to have as a project sort of thing, something I can work on a lot. That being said what would be the nitro rc that has the most upgrades/mods/aftermarket parts available for the owner to do themselves. (Sorry if I’m using incorrect terminology I’m super new to this) I am really liking the monster truck style of the 3.3 but am open to owning any type of rc that I can tinker with and change to my liking and style.

Well TMaxx is still probably the king of aftermarket stuff, but there's a good bit of stuff for the Slash, depending on what you're looking to do with it. HPI Savage is back, and there's probably still a good bit of upgrades that are out there, or reviving.

Are you dead set on staying nitro for your second vehicle? I only ask because I am not into nitro all that much.

If you want the ultimate in tinkering ability, I would have to say a rock crawler is where it's at. Most of them are so customizable you won't even recognize the truck by the time you get into a few mods.

Other than that, there are lots of vehicles that you can do some crazy stuff with. I would suggest just looking for parts for vehicles and go from there. This is one my son and I are building. It started life as a short course truck (Traxxas Slash), and is now a drag car.
20211227_142241.jpg

Maybe a nitro Slash drag car project!

Are you dead set on staying nitro for your second vehicle? I only ask because I am not into nitro all that much.

If you want the ultimate in tinkering ability, I would have to say a rock crawler is where it's at. Most of them are so customizable you won't even recognize the truck by the time you get into a few mods.

Other than that, there are lots of vehicles that you can do some crazy stuff with. I would suggest just looking for parts for vehicles and go from there. This is one my son and I are building. It started life as a short course truck (Traxxas Slash), and is now a drag car.
View attachment 142492
That’s purdy

These trucks have any where from decent to tons of aftermarket parts.
Hpi savage
Traxxas tmaxx
Traxxas revo
Traxxas slash
Traxxas jato

Team asscociated and losi have older mts not in production, parts are hard to find, but are good trucks from the basically dead nitro mt era.

Rpm rc products- plastic
Strc - aluminum parts
Flm - aluminum parts
Dubro, Imex, proline racing, j concepts, parma and a few other brands make general accessories, bodies, and wheels.

I like to bring the dead 💀 back

I would say pick an other Tmaxx that way your old parts you take off for upgrades will be spare parts for you play one. I got my first nitro 6 months ago and it was the revo 3.3, I made it a crawler and it is a blast to play with on the trails. I wanted a speed runner and was going to buy the Jato, but I was talked into getting an other revo 3.3 and to use the parts I took off for upgrades as spare parts for my crawler.

My crawler:
20220110_085510.jpg

My speed runner, I just got this one, not broke in yet, and still putting on the upgrades. As you can see no front axles this baby is 2WD and I have Felony wheels and tires on it. I have the True track on it to here in this picture.
20220303_205944.jpg

I am anti traxxas nitro that came after the 2.5R series engines in models. Soooo

I suggest something with a big block.