Question about testing speed and why

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaps

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So my son and I live together in my house, my wife passed away many years ago, so its just us. We just got back into RC together recently and are having so much new fun. We also did it in the past before losing my wife, his mom and now are back. The reason I am writing this post, we have our old cars from 12 years ago we think, and we have a few new ones. Two of the new really worthwhile ones we got, I got the Arrma Granite 4x4 3S, My son got the Losi Tenacity DB Pro, he thinks his car is going 50MPH, but my Granite keeps up with it, I am pretty sure top speed is 40 on mine so I think he is only going 40. Now finally my question, What is the lowest cost Speed Test thingy we can use with the cell phone to test actual speed, something that will fit in these and other cars, and that will work easily. I looked on Amazon and they all look too big to me ?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Flaps

Welcome back into RC!

Most people use the Sky RC GPSs (Either the GNSS or the GSM-015)

I have a GPS myself. My dad bought it for bike riding and he really didn't use it that much. Still can work on a RC tho. It is the XOSS G+ GPS. Made more for biking but still worked on my RCs. I used it once before on my rustler 2wd. I clocked my rustler at 37.5 MPH with a 2s lipo and 4000kv brushless motor (23/86 gearing at the time I believe) Not sure if if was actually true or not. The GPS is kinda hard to go through but you get used to it. Their phone app is kind of hard and has some problems. My problems was it wasn't syncing properly to my phone but I guess it still worked? Not sure. With this GPS I just zipped tied it to my front body mount and shock tower. I seen some people use zip ties, Velcro, or tape to hold theirs on (and double sided tape)

I only used this one XOSS gps before and not really into GPSs. I would recommend the Sky RC GPSs as they are more for RC than anything else like biking. They are pricey but they do a good job. The GSM-015 is just a gps and i don't think it links up to your phone. With the GNSS, they have a app for it and you can see your speed, drag times, and more stuff with telemetry. (This is just based off on what I got experience with and my knowledge) :)

So my son and I live together in my house, my wife passed away many years ago, so its just us. We just got back into RC together recently and are having so much new fun. We also did it in the past before losing my wife, his mom and now are back. The reason I am writing this post, we have our old cars from 12 years ago we think, and we have a few new ones. Two of the new really worthwhile ones we got, I got the Arrma Granite 4x4 3S, My son got the Losi Tenacity DB Pro, he thinks his car is going 50MPH, but my Granite keeps up with it, I am pretty sure top speed is 40 on mine so I think he is only going 40. Now finally my question, What is the lowest cost Speed Test thingy we can use with the cell phone to test actual speed, something that will fit in these and other cars, and that will work easily. I looked on Amazon and they all look too big to me ?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Flaps
I too was looking for one to use with my cell phone, but ended up with the below due to cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R5VCZJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I did clock my Arrma Vorteks at 52.4 MPH, and the electric are similar. I have raced a friends Granite and usually win, but that is because it was so hard to keep the granite from wheeling. So it may go close to 50.

Edit: looking at the info at Horizon Hobby and it shows….

• 50+ MPH (80+ km/h) speed achievable in optimum driving conditions on 3S LiPo

I too was looking for one to use with my cell phone, but ended up with the below due to cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R5VCZJ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I did clock my Arrma Vorteks at 52.4 MPH, and the electric are similar. I have raced a friends Granite and usually win, but that is because it was so hard to keep the granite from wheeling. So it may go close to 50.
Wow, hard to believe my Granite goes that fast. I had my eyes on a RedCat Macheti 4S so I could go faster but based on reviews it's top speed is 50mph, So guess I would not really gain any speed anyway.
So that one is very affordable , it fits in your cars , it looks big ?

Wow, hard to believe my Granite goes that fast. I had my eyes on a RedCat Macheti 4S so I could go faster but based on reviews it's top speed is 50mph, So guess I would not really gain any speed anyway.
So that one is very affordable , it fits in your cars , it looks big ?
The Granite we have, I'd guess it does every bit of 50mph on 3s. It is a little beast. Oh and by the way, guys on YT have tested it's speed right out of the box. The vids I have seen have been at least 50mph. One I can remember hit 52.

I've had my eye on the SkyRC GNSS system. It's what most people use, but it is a bit pricey. But it is designed for RC cars and has lots of cool features.

Last edited:
SkyRC GSM-015 here. I has direct readout kph/mph select. Rechargeable internal battery. It also cables to a PC for data readout. Durable and survivable. Easy to use. Best news of all, it has gone down $20 in price since acquiring mine. I recommend it.

SkyRC GNSS

Good luck to you and your son in the hobby. Cheers. 'AC'

SkyRC GSM-015 here. I has direct readout kph/mph select. Rechargeable internal battery. It also cables to a PC for data readout. Durable and survivable. Easy to use. Best news of all, it has gone down $20 in price since acquiring mine. I recommend it.

SkyRC GNSS

Good luck to you and your son in the hobby. Cheers. 'AC'
The Speed Meter is still a bit overpriced at $70, since an extra $20 gets you the phone app capability of the GNSS, and I believe more features. They need to drop the Speed Meter another $10 in my opinion.

The Speed Meter is still a bit overpriced at $70, since an extra $20 gets you the phone app capability of the GNSS, and I believe more features. They need to drop the Speed Meter another $10 in my opinion.
they need to make the app free if its not

We got one that does not connect to phone, we just want to have fun knowing speed of the various cars. One of the replies on here mentioned a cheaper one, so we ordered it for now. I will let you know how it works and I am sure you can't wait to know how fast our cars are, lol, Flaps
One last note on this, we try to use the local Hobby Shop when we can, we lost most of them during Covid which is sad, we have only one left. I hate to say it, but so far while they have been helpful on some things, they have also given us some bad info on others that actually cost us money, so I kinda can't rely on them too much. My son got a Traxxas Bandit VXL, we wanted to add the cell phone speed app thingy to that, $34.99 for the #6511, great deal, they told him this was all he needed to have that work, oops, you need another $120 in parts to actually make that work according to Traxxas. Oh well, Flaps

Last edited:
Back