Question about rims and tires.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK...sorry but I'm a noob and I as much as I hate to do it I have to ask a couple of noob questions. How do you know what rims will work with a given set of tires? I have a pair of Dirt Bonz for my Savage.

SPECS: Diameter: 5.91" (150mm)
Width: 3.27" (83mm)

When I'm looking for Rims IDK what will work and wont. For example I saw these rims and I would like to use them cuz they look awesome but IDK if they will work or not...

Rims: Traxxas Chrome Geode 3.8 Wheel Rim

REQUIRES: Tires Beadlock Sidewall Protectors, Blue TRAC5662 or Red TRAC5667SPECS: Outer Diameter: 96.5mm (3.8") Width: 70.5mm (2.8") Hex: 17mm

Now this also brings up a second question....what are beadlocks and how do you use them? Any help with these two questions would be awesome.

True beadlock wheels capture the tire between the rim and a lock ring, so you do not have to glue the tire to the rim. You'll see them a lot on crawlers, scalers, etc. The Traxxas wheels are not true beadlock wheels. The beadlock "sidewall protectors" are just faux beadlocks to dress up the rims. The Traxxas Summit that I have comes with those.

I can't answer the actual tire fit question, someone with more tire experience than me will hopefully chime in. But, you also need to be sure you have the same hex size on your rim as your Savy. The original 21 and S25 were 14mm hex. It wasn't until the X model that HPI put the 17mm hex on. Of course if you have the older Savy you can upgrade to the larger hex too...

HTH...
Mark

Its a Savage X SS so it has 17mm.... These are just one pair I saw that I thought were cool there are others but none of the are exactly the same size as the tire so I guess my real question is just simply how do you know if a given tire fits any given rim?

Generally, you will see something like "standard MT size" or "revo" noted on the description for the rims/tires.

Standard MT rims are 3.2" bead. The bead is perpendicular to the rim.

The HPI dirt bonez are standard 3.2" bead tires.

The 3.8" revo rims have the bead parallel to the rim like 1/8 buggy tires/wheels.

These are the 3.8" revo rims with the buggy type bead:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVFK9&P=7

These are standard 3.2" tires with a standard bead:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP73&P=7

looks like the 3.8 rime has a flater front then the 3.2 . is this the difference. besides the size.

looks like the 3.8 rime has a flater front then the 3.2 . is this the difference. besides the size.

The 3.8 rim/tire bead is flat like a 1/8 buggy.
1178-00-1.jpg

The 3.2 "Maxx'' rim/tire bead is not, like the bead on your Dirt Bonz.
hpic4852-1.jpg

Ok I understand the bead has to be the same, but how much variance can you have in the actual size of the rim from the original? For instance does the diameter of teh rim have to be exactly the same 83mm that the original is or can you vary it? How about length of the rim? How much variance can you have there?

I've noticed that it does vary a bit. Traxxas 3.2 vs hpi 3.2 is a bit different (pretty sure hpi is a bit bigger in diameter of the bead), but hpi 3.2 tires still work on traxxas 3.2 rims.

Back