question about aluminum upgades

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hi so again for the ofna lx 2, i just bought lower front and back arms in aluminum for it, i changed it n i love the flashy look it gives, so i was thinking of buying the upper arms front and back , also the front caster block and the steering linkage all in aluminum... my question is if i hit a side walk of anything... will the aluminum bend of will the differential just rip appart from were the lower arms attach to it ??

It will bend and stay bent as the plastic counterparts wil bend and (usually) snap back into place.

Typically, it's not a great idea to have the parts that stick out be aluminum, because they will either get bent or will damage something more irritating to replace. On a buggy, the c-hubs and perhaps the top arms are all you would want as alloy. The lower part of the arm is what absorbs impact. You now run the risk of destroying the diff, c-hub, linkage, rims and axles because the stress has nowhere to go.

It will bend and stay bent as the plastic counterparts wil bend and (usually) snap back into place.
Thx

Typically, it's not a great idea to have the parts that stick out be aluminum, because they will either get bent or will damage something more irritating to replace. On a buggy, the c-hubs and perhaps the top arms are all you would want as alloy. The lower part of the arm is what absorbs impact. You now run the risk of destroying the diff, c-hub, linkage, rims and axles because the stress has nowhere to go.
Thx

If i manufacture my self a alloy bumper that will cover all the wheels in front ( in case i would hit something ) would that save the alloy arms or would that just make it Worst ?? Since the bumper still attache were there differential is would it brake it ? Or bend the frame of the buggy maybe ??

Another question about alloy , if i put litterly everything in alloy , put a side crashing , if i jump with it , will the shock absorbe the falling hit ? Or will it all bend ?? Sry for so many question , trying to make my car 100% alloy that will be some what durable ( friend hase aluminum 3d printer so i can make any parts and all parts )

Last edited:
Thx

Thx

If i manufacture my self a alloy bumper that will cover all the wheels in front ( in case i would hit something ) would that save the alloy arms or would that just make it Worst ?? Since the bumper still attache were there differential is would it brake it ? Or bend the frame of the buggy maybe ??

Another question about alloy , if i put litterly everything in alloy , put a side crashing , if i jump with it , will the shock absorbe the falling hit ? Or will it all bend ?? Sry for so many question , trying to make my car 100% alloy that will be some what durable ( friend hase aluminum 3d printer so i can make any parts and all parts )
It depends how hard you hit, and sometimes the bend is very minute. Aluminium upgrades are only worth spending the money and effort on if they are going to protect something. One user here (@Rolex) is a wax drug lord and was able to afford what he calls the "Bling Thing" He didn't want protection since it's never seen daylight...

Thx

What do you intend to do with your car primarily? If you're building a showpiece to be displayed on a shelf with minimal usage, I'd suggest adding alloy, it looks cool.
If you're building a car you can run hard and jump with, I'd recommend keeping all the plastic components as is, and stocking up on replacement plastic parts.

The problem with alloy is it does not absorb energy on impact like plastic does, it diverts the energy throughout the car until it finds the weakest point and that's where you'll get breakage..
That usually involves dismantling half the car to replace a busted bulkhead or whatnot. Replacing a broken plastic control arm is much simpler
Another thing to consider, alloy will add weight to the car putting additional unnecessary strain on your engine

The problem with alloy is it does not absorb energy on impact like plastic does, it diverts the energy throughout the car until it finds the weakest point and that's where you'll get breakage..
Other people have also said that, yet I've never broken a single part in the 6 or 7 years I've had it.

LOL....It's seen daylight through the windows. It's just never seen dirt. :p
Well, daylight while behind 3" thick bulletproof poly-carbonate that is also ultraviolet filtering.

strain on your engine.
And shocks, axles, diffs, clutch...

Like was said before, if it's a part that sticks out, it should probably be plastic. If it's the core of the vehicle, then go nuts with aluminum.

In the end, it's yours, so do what you want. We can only tell you from many years of experience what your likely to expect.

If I upgrade a plastic suspension part, I usually go to an upgraded RPM version.

This has taken some heavy impact, on a few occasions. There were a few times I was pushing it around the living room floor and while not paying attention it dropped off the edge of the carpet and touched the hardwood floor.

Sav7.jpg

Not to mention the injury to the driver consisting of rug burns on the knees...

Back