Problems opening up differentials (Savage X 4.6 RTR (latest version), metal casing)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teeds

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,

I'm trying to open up my diffs (Savage X 4.6 RTR (latest version) with metal casing (the ones that came with it). It's my first time trying to open them and I am afraid my strength cannot help me here. I am stripping the screws they all have turned somehow but then it got so hard I don't know what to do.

I am using the proper screwdrivers, I tried some WD-40, holding them in a vise but even with my weight on it and two hands they won't bulge.

What the hell is in that? Platinum lock-tite? Do you guys have any solution this is terrible I am going to have to buy some news ones because I can't get the damn thing open arrggh.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!

They are thread-locked. You need to apply heat to melt the glue. Try something like a micro-torch. Also---I've learned that tools make an INSANE difference. There are things I stripped out with one set of tools, and then tried with something like MIP...and it opened right up.

Finally, for the one that is stripped, try a 5/16 standard hex. They do the trick when a 2mm strips them.

Finally, if you need help removing the ones that are stripped...let me know. I wrench like a damn gorilla and have stripped a LOT of screws. ;-)

Last edited:
Also a tap on the head of the screw with a hammer and punch will sometimes loosen them. A Dremel can be used to cut a slot in the stripped heads to use a slotted-head screwdriver to allow removal.

Those diff screws would be a #2 phillips.
If you've moved the screw that would mean that you have broken the thread lock seal and it shouldn't really be a problem getting it out now. But if you're still having problems applying heat is good, but you main concern would be what driver can you now fit in there if you've already stripped it.
I had the same problem as you, I had a problem with 2 diff screws on one diff amd that was it. I tried everything and had to drill out the screws and destroyed the diff cup, but atleast I saved all the gears.
Replacing the diff cup was cheaper then having to replace everything.

Back