Problem with Yokohoma Drift 1/10 (Electric). Please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo_pusher

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello guys,

A friend of mine has got a Yokohoma Drift (Electric). he is facing some broblems with overheat and low runtime.

He is currently using a Brushless 4.5. and have tried a 3300 battery and 1500 battery and comes out with the same results. Overheat in engine and battery in less than a minute.

What could be wrong? hobby shop can't help him and he can't figure it out for himself.

He is looking for a reasonable runtime with no overheat. what parts does he needs to change and what usually is the average runtime for an electric car.

Basically, he is looking for a right combination vehicle.

Thanks for the help and seeking your reply as he is loosing his mind.

Regards,

Sounds like it's geared too low. That means the motor is struggling to get it going to speed. All that extra work puts a strain on the motor and significantly raises the amp draw. That will heat the motor, ESC and batteries. Have him gear it up a bit (raise the ratio). That will take some of the top end speed away, but will give more low end punch (which is what you want for drifting) and lower the current to the motor. That should cool it down a bit.

I would check the gear lash, too. Too tight of a gear mesh can cause heat problems.

Candyman, quick question (since I never did learn this gearing terminology correctly)... Isn't it currently geared too high? I agree he has to raise the gear ratio (bigger spur, smaller pinnon), but our terminology is different.

I may have "high" and "low" backwards. Essentially he needs to raise the ratio. A larger spur and smaller pinion will achieve that. That should ease up the stress on the electronics and keep things cool.

electric problems

Well I have told him but he claims that his gears are fixed in properly with the right ratios.

He thinks that it’s an engine issue rather. He claims that the engine is not for drifting and used for racing. I really don’t understand why an engine can't perform both?!?!

I personally agree with the change of ratios but he doesn’t seem to think it’s the problem to his situation.

Thanks for the help and if you have any other thoughts, please share them.

Regards,

If anything, I guess something milder, with more torque, would have been a better idea for drifting. Maybe a 7.5 or 8.5?

Doesn't Yokohoma specify what sorts of motors to use with their cars?

Back