Potential new hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruffy91

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey people hope your all well over this festive period!. So I've decided I need a hobby.

Little bit about myself am 29 I work as a engineer, but been a qualified mechanic all my life. When I was a kid me and my dad where always out playing with r/c equipment be it planes, boats, cars anything that moves.

I've decided I would want a nitro rc car being my background i think it be more fun for me rather than electric, because I can tinker with engines etc and have a good understanding of how things work. My question is what is a good nitro car too get id want it to have off road capabilities so I can take it on the grass/local beach.

I've been looking at the HPI Trophy 3.5 Nitro Buggy RTR. Is this a good one to get good amount of upgrades if I want too of course reliable etc. Or should I get the HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 V2 RTR whats the differences between these 2? Also is there anything better or more reliable?
Thanks for your help in advanced!

@Fruffy91 thanks for joining and welcome to RCTalk!

What kind of budget are you wanting to stay in for your new nitro RC and that could really help us give you some suggestions.

That said, HPI in the past has been a solid choice for most any of their cars. However that company has been nothing short of a roller coaster from bankruptcy being sold however many times and the uncertain state they are left in right now. Parts seem to be very hit and miss - just check out some of the guys over at HPISavageForum. For this reason I personally find it hard to recommend anything HPI at the moment and that stinks because I've always been a huge fan of them. :(

Budget wise I showed my missus the trophy 3.5 at £300 and she didn't shout at me so that's a good start just anything where am not going to get into trouble I dont mind paying a bit more for something better but not going over the odds with it if you know what I mean.

@Fruffy91 I'd take a look at the Losi 8IGHT and Kyosho Inferno NEO offerings. You can find Ready To Run (RTR) versions for around $350 USD. Both are great brands and parts be an issue.

I am in a similar position. Was about to go for the HPi as well until I heard about the parts supply issue. Now looking at getting a Hobao Hyper 7

Back