"Post break in" rules?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamJG04

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ran the standard 5 tanks as an initial break in for the trackstar/GO .28 that I shoehorned into my old acme 1/8 scale.

Must say for a cheapo the break in was good. Preheated for the first idle tank and the 2nd 1/4 throttle tank. Idle was good and was adjusted down after it loosened up after tank 4. Left everything else as it was, and it chucked out enough power to strip 2 steering servos even though it was very rich (although running on grass may not have helped).

Now I have a couple of questions: what are your reccomendations from here on? Pics show the piston has lost most of the mechanical pinch around tdc where the honing has visibly worn away. Should I use the full RPM range for the next few tanks and when should I start to tune?

Also I broke in using a hot turbo plug. Figured that would help with the cold weather here, but having read some more it sounds like I might be better off with a medium? Although it ran nice and cool with no hiccups so tempted to leave it.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
16116948262787395744258498415994.jpg

Attachments

• 20210126_204206.jpg
    20210126_204206.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 65
Always run your piston down at the bottom of the sleeve for cool down after running ,it will help
save the pinch!
Also .not sure about that pipe ,you want to check out other tuned pipes to allow the engine
to breath better ,not sure which pipe to match up with that engine ,you would have to research!
The pipe plays a vital role in performance an temps!

Also ,check out JQ's tuning vid. ,it will show you how to set up your idle gap in which is key
to proper tuning!... :cool:

Oh ,nice to see another Nitro Brother!....:thumbs-up:

Yeah I always set to BDC and use after run oil. I'll look into the pipe - seemed pretty good to me but that's not saying much considering the state of the last engine that was in this thing?. Idle gaps good for now but will probably want to come down a bit as it loosens up more. Will check out the vid, thanks!

Any thoughts on glow plugs?

Probably med to hot!
I myself had been out of the game for awhile ,so I will need to freshin up my glo-plug thoughts as well!
I been watching some good live feed vids of the proper way to tune with the Nitro nation!

Cool - I've generally been going by the rule of 'too hot to touch too hot to run' as I am too much of a cheap skate to buy a heat gun, so will see how it performs when I eventually start to lean it out on the hsn a bit

That's less expensive than I thought actually , thanks

Back