Please Help, I've been trying to find Flywheel Clutch and Gear assembly for weeks.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cbaker65, Thank you, found on Ebay, $8.50+ $3.00 shipping, just ordered, we will see if it works?

cbaker65, Thank you, found on Ebay, $8.50+ $3.00 shipping, just ordered, we will see if it works?

I been trying to find a vid on about the crankshaft thread mod ,but since it is old tech ,it
is hard to find one ,but I can ask a guy to do a vid & write up about it ,but he does show
a vid of an OScvr cut crank ,you can tell because the threads have been shortened!.. :cool:

cbaker, I've been looking for that to. could you post the link?

cbaker65 bump

Here is a quick vid of this engine that someone had cut the crankshaft ,half of the
threads have been cut off ,this is the same guy that I can have a vid made on how it
is done ,with correct thread sizes!.. :cool:

What is the black thing under the exhaust manifold in the picks. I have been wondering.
img_20210621_004643967-jpg.128402

cbaker65 Thank you! looking forward to the next vid!

D3MON, WVNed, its the housing for the one way gear if you want to use a hand held electric starter. I use a Team Associated starter box, so it just serves as a case cover now. Yes rotostart housing. lol

cbaker65, D3MON, Thanks for the link! I saw that one( like I said, I have been searching this for weeks), just didn't know about the pilot shaft that you need to screw on to make it all fit and hold the collet correctly.

I didnt know rotostart was a thing on small engines. and I couldnt see a handle for a pull start.

cbaker65, D3MON, Thanks for the link! I saw that one( like I said, I have been searching this for weeks), just didn't know about the pilot shaft that you need to screw on to make it all fit and hold the collet correctly.
if you are using the stock flywheel, you will most likely be stuck with using the stock OE pilot shaft. you might be able to make one from another model work (for example the HPI one you posted, or even one of the cheap HSP ones), but with how the flywheel is set up it may or may not work. if you get a new flywheel, pilot shafts are for the most part universal, but can be affected by the clutch setup you plan on using (i.e. clutch shoes).
will most likely take some trial and error as most of the stuff that was around then really isnt around today and vice versa.

D3MON, 2 of my 4 flywheels are LOSI from the xxx nt. 1 I have know idea, the other is a Traxxas I just got for another motor and the shaft on that one is way smaller then the other 3.

D3MON, 2 of my 4 flywheels are LOSI from the xxx nt. 1 I have know idea, the other is a Traxxas I just got for another motor and the shaft on that one is way smaller then the other 3.
there are 3 main styles of crankshafts for surface nitros,
the most used currently is what is called the SG crankshaft
1624321801045.png

this type of crank uses a standard through style clutch nut (no shaft)
the second style is called a short standard (threaded) style crankshaft.
1624321893654.png

typically the short threaded crankshaft and the SG style crankshaft are used pretty interchangably, with use of a pilot shaft style clutch nut.
***(only exception i know of is HPIs Nitro RS4-3, it uses a SG style crankshaft, but it used to use the long threaded style crankshaft engines, so when they started switching to SG cranks, it uses a flywheel with offset to "push" the flywheel out further so give proper gear alignment)***
then the third main one is the long standard (threaded) style crankshaft.
1624322025398.png

typically with the long threaded crankshaft you will see what is referred to as the "prop washer", "mini Flywheel". (pictured below)
1624322144721.png

the XXXNT is also an exception as the offset is similar to the short standard crankshaft, but it uses a long standard crankshaft without a prop washer, to retain the offset of a short standard crank while being able to use a long standard crankshaft.

you might try mixing and matching with what you have and see if you get one to align correctly with the gears.

Back