Pleas help with Hyper SS buggy!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hughes_25

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So my son recently got a brand new Hobao Hyper SS buggy. It is a nitro buggy and while I had several electric vehicles when I was a kid, I have zero experience with anything nitro related. I don't know if the problem we are having is a radio setting or buggy setting, but any help would be appreciated. The radio that came with it came with no literature to help me out...

Anyway... The buggy was running fine and now all of a sudden it seems to want to take off. I took several things apart and I'm now noticing that when the brake is applied, it brakes, but then opens up to full throttle. I cannot get it to stop doing this. Any ideas? Thank you anyone that can help.

So my son recently got a brand new Hobao Hyper SS buggy. It is a nitro buggy and while I had several electric vehicles when I was a kid, I have zero experience with anything nitro related. I don't know if the problem we are having is a radio setting or buggy setting, but any help would be appreciated. The radio that came with it came with no literature to help me out...

Anyway... The buggy was running fine and now all of a sudden it seems to want to take off. I took several things apart and I'm now noticing that when the brake is applied, it brakes, but then opens up to full throttle. I cannot get it to stop doing this. Any ideas? Thank you anyone that can help.
I'm not sure I fully understand the issue. Are you saying that when you release the brake instead of going back to a neutral position it opens the throttle and the kit takes off? If thats the case then make sure you have your throttle trim set to counteract that from happening or you can take the servo horn off the servo, let the servo center with no load on it and the put the servo horn back on in the proper position so that the throttle/brake is in a neutral position.

If thats not the issue then I misunderstood and maybe if you could explain further or post a video of exactly what its doing that would help tremendously.

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue. Are you saying that when you release the brake instead of going back to a neutral position it opens the throttle and the kit takes off? If thats the case then make sure you have your throttle trim set to counteract that from happening or you can take the servo horn off the servo, let the servo center with no load on it and the put the servo horn back on in the proper position so that the throttle/brake is in a neutral position.

Yep! You got what I was trying to say... I tried adjusting the throttle trim but I can adjust it enough to counteract it, or so it seems. If I adjust it down to much it seems like it doesn't want to brake then.

If I take the horn off do I have to do anything special to center the servo then? Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated.
If thats not the issue then I misunderstood and maybe if you could explain further or post a video of exactly what its doing that would help tremendously

When you take the horn off, then turn the kit on (dont need to start the engine), Once the servo receives power it will automatically center and then you just put the horn back on so that everything is centered.

When you take the horn off, then turn the kit on (dont need to start the engine), Once the servo receives power it will automatically center and then you just put the horn back on so that everything is centered.

Excellent, I will give it a try as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help!

Also make sure the screw holding the servo horn is snug after you adjust it. I had one loose new out of the box once, and when I tried to run it the linkage got all out of whack. Easy to fix like Greywolf said. Have fun.

Sorry it took me so long to get back, I've been working extra hours at work and just now got to it....I took the horn off and I think I'm adjusting the trim as much as it will let me but things are still just not working right. The remote came with literally no instructions on what does what.

I talked to my kid some more and he said he's not sure what he changed but he tried to fix it himself and now the brakes won't work either 😣.... Here's a shirt video of full throttle and braking, hopefully it helps someone to help me get it running again. I'm kind of bummed out I'm failing him due to lack of knowledge at this point! Thanks again everyone for the help. Video of the open carb, linkage, remote

Sorry it took me so long to get back, I've been working extra hours at work and just now got to it....I took the horn off and I think I'm adjusting the trim as much as it will let me but things are still just not working right. The remote came with literally no instructions on what does what.

I talked to my kid some more and he said he's not sure what he changed but he tried to fix it himself and now the brakes won't work either 😣.... Here's a shirt video of full throttle and braking, hopefully it helps someone to help me get it running again. I'm kind of bummed out I'm failing him due to lack of knowledge at this point! Thanks again everyone for the help. Video of the open carb, linkage, remote
The brake seems like it is working when throttling!
Here is the way mine works!

I’m not 100% sure what’s going on but it looks like something is binding in the throttle and brake linkage. The spring that looks like a ball point pen spring should compress when the brakes are applied and I don’t see that happening. Also,when hitting the brakes the servo should move in the opposite direction it does when you apply throttle, but it looks like the servos going in throttle direction. It’s hard to tell but it looks like something is binding. Check your throttle trim and only open it to the point that the brakes are no longer applied, check your throttle reversing button on that transmitter if you have one and make sure the servo is going in the correct direction when applying throttle and brake. Good luck, something is off with your linkage but I’m not sure what it is exactly.

Worst case scenario take it to your local hobby shop and have them take a quick look at it. They can probably pinpoint the problem right away. Once you know what the issue is you can start attacking the problem head on. A lot of times its difficult to troubleshoot something if you're not right there seeing it.

Good call on the local hobby shop, linkage is tricky to diagnose unless it’s Blatantly incorrect.

Based on the video you provided, it looks like when you put it in full throttle, the brakes seems to apply and when you close the throttle, not much brakes apply. It looks like your brakes linkages should be shorten by adjustment. When you go full throttle from neutral position, the brake linkages should be close to center and not move much. Also if your transmitter is using 25% for braking instead of 50%. It determines what your neutral position is. I suspect by default for nitro is 25%. I usually set that to neutral at 25%, that is engine is idle and no brake apply.