Picco .21 little issue.... Does drilling and screwing work???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.MadfireMoe

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Mr.madfire Moe here with his Madfire!!! Got a picco .21 engine on ebay for 45 bucks. Now the way the carb being all big and dufie is one thing (Resulted in cutting hole in shell for the tall HSN) But the way the throttle is is not a snap on like what's on the servo. You have to screw a link inside....o_O......So. I'm wondering if I could drill a tiny hole threw the link and fit a screw inside?? Pics will come a few minutes after the thread is posted.

Extra Question: This engine really screwed me over when I didn't know it was a bump box only engine...:mad:
So has any one thought of a way to make something spin the flywheel?? The bike tire method works but I don't think my dad would let me brink a big old bike in a car just to play with my car!
So what do ya think???

Okay

And this

Boom

Attachments

• 14856447515981487060156.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 276
  • 14856454195111837643762.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:
What you have going here is a big Fiasco. (I know because I've done it!) I don't know what the answer to the linkage is but you might as well forget that for now. Your main problem is that you have an engine that is of "questionable quality". (if it runs at all.) And more than likely, it don't. No one (especially on Ebay!) is going to sell you a Picco engine that is any good for $45. You need to put that engine back on Ebay and get rid of it and sell it "as is". There are plenty of engines available for around $50 to $75 and you will have a brand new engine to work with.

What you have going here is a big Fiasco. (I know because I've done it!) I don't know what the answer to the linkage is but you might as well forget that for now. Your main problem is that you have an engine that is of "questionable quality". (if it runs at all.) And more than likely, it don't. No one (especially on Ebay!) is going to sell you a Picco engine that is any good for $45. You need to put that engine back on Ebay and get rid of it and sell it "as is". There are plenty of engines available for around $50 to $75 and you will have a brand new engine to work with.
I see thanks, all I know up to now is that it has good compression

Buddy, I'm not trying to rain on what you're doing, but I've been there and done that and I'm trying to save you from a bad experience. You can take an engine that has bad compression and put a few drops of oil in the top of the cylinder and it will still feel like it has a lot of compression. But after it gets hot, it won't stay running. And a spin start only is a problem if you don't have a starter box. The crank shaft is probably not designed to install a starter on it. Look around and get you a new engine for a little more money and you'll have something nice to start with instead of something that is a fight.

What should I get around 50??

I agree, I wouldn't go trying to mod your rig to accommodate an engine until I knew about it. Rather than just blowing it out on ebay, I would probably attempt to get it going on the bench. Put it in a vise and set it up with a fuel system... See how it runs and go from there.

I agree, I wouldn't go trying to mod your rig to accommodate an engine until I knew about it. Rather than just blowing it out on ebay, I would probably attempt to get it going on the bench. Put it in a vise and set it up with a fuel system... See how it runs and go from there.
Yeah you are right, and I would need a starter box to use this engine. Smh

Thinking for the bench test, your bike tire start methods may not be pretty, but it would likely answer the question as to if this is a good engine or not.

Thinking for the bench test, your bike tire start methods may not be pretty, but it would likely answer the question as to if this is a good engine or not.
I see, when it doesn't have compression, can I build up more?

The compression being low is caused by excessive ware between the piston and it's fit in the sleeve. You can send it out and get the piston/sleeve fit re-sized. (for about $20.) Or replace the piston and sleeve.

The compression being low is caused by excessive ware between the piston and it's fit in the sleeve. You can send it out and get the piston/sleeve fit re-sized. (for about $20.) Or replace the piston and sleeve.
I see. But one question, Okay so maybe i was a little dumb and too excited so I built up the engine in the car before I asked you these questions. BUT WAIT!!! I threw it on a starter box but it is a 1/10 scale. So I put it up side ways on that box!!:cool: The thing fired up and was going full throttle , since it was in the house I turned it off 5 seconds later. So I know it works but the wheel on box spins the wrong way for the buggy.. So does that mean I will have to drive the car going backwards if It spins opposite way?? I hope not cause then That goes to my money on starter box plan :thumbs-down:

I see. But one question, Okay so maybe i was a little dumb and too excited so I built up the engine in the car before I asked you these questions. BUT WAIT!!! I threw it on a starter box but it is a 1/10 scale. So I put it up side ways on that box!!:cool: The thing fired up and was going full throttle , since it was in the house I turned it off 5 seconds later. So I know it works but the wheel on box spins the wrong way for the buggy.. So does that mean I will have to drive the car going backwards if It spins opposite way?? I hope not cause then That goes to my money on starter box plan :thumbs-down:

Try reversing the wires on the electric motor on the bump start!

Try reversing the wires on the electric motor on the bump start!
k I will see this weekend. I could actually just open the lid and put it on any position I want and just press on the spring. Also, I think I said this already but I had to cut a whole in the body to let the high speed needle stick out. If you ask me I think it gives it a more racy look ha! But do manufacturers ever do that to a buggy ever? Cause I don't want no funny biz like turning over and having a bent hsn

There are a LOT of manufacturers who cut holes for the whole head to stick out for cooling purposes. You MAY get lucky and have the body take the impacts from rolling over but if you want definite protection, a roll bar is without question the way to go. The bar should be mounted on the chassis of the truck, not on the body. Some bars are simply a loop going over the motor, some go from the front to the rear of the car. In general, the more bar with proper attaching points, the safer the rig will be.
Personally, I would NOT rely on the body and the body mounts for the protection you are looking for. I would open the area the the needle is coming out of. This way, if in a hard impact, the body loosens/ breaks free by snapping body mounts or even that the body significantly flexes, the body itself will not break the needle... hopefully.
There is no 100% guarantee that it will never break. That is all part of the fun with all rc and even 1:1 vehicles.

There are a LOT of manufacturers who cut holes for the whole head to stick out for cooling purposes. You MAY get lucky and have the body take the impacts from rolling over but if you want definite protection, a roll bar is without question the way to go. The bar should be mounted on the chassis of the truck, not on the body. Some bars are simply a loop going over the motor, some go from the front to the rear of the car. In general, the more bar with proper attaching points, the safer the rig will be.
Personally, I would NOT rely on the body and the body mounts for the protection you are looking for. I would open the area the the needle is coming out of. This way, if in a hard impact, the body loosens/ breaks free by snapping body mounts or even that the body significantly flexes, the body itself will not break the needle... hopefully.
There is no 100% guarantee that it will never break. That is all part of the fun with all rc and even 1:1 vehicles.
Thanks

I would love to see some pics and to see what you build or buy to beef it up! There are manufacturers who build roll bars and cages. I would do some searching to see if there are any available and to see what other ppl are using.
Good luck!!! :thumbs-up:

In
I would love to see some pics and to see what you build or buy to beef it up! There are manufacturers who build roll bars and cages. I would do some searching to see if there are any available and to see what other ppl are using.
Good luck!!! :thumbs-up:
Thanks man! I might not put a roll bar but after I get the engine to run completely you could gove me some handy up grades, right now this is what she looks like

In

Thanks man! I might not put a roll bar but after I get the engine to run completely you could gove me some handy up grades, right now this is what she looks like
Notice the little hole ;)

Attachments

• 14860029217941867822377.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 283
Wow! That's a very cool looking rig! I Def see what you're saying about the needle. I would open up that hole a little bit. I know it will take away a lil of the coolness but function over form in this case. Another option is to get a body that goes right over the needle but I would still out a loop over it at least. That way you have a nice looking stock body to show off when it's on the shelf when not in use!

In

Notice the little hole ;)

I don't see where the needle will get damaged ,unless you drive or wreck in to some kind of debris field!
Here ya go ,fixed it for ya!.....:p

14860029217941867822377-jpg.19105

Back