Petrol motor interrupts r/c signal

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkyard dog

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi there I've put a wiper snippet motor in a boat I was given brought all new r/c gear wich is all working fine, however once I start the engine the servos spin and I loose all control at any revs above idle!! Any hot tips would be greatly appreciated?

change the spark plug, cap and lead. make sure the kill switch is all heat shrinked up.

problem is, these engines are not really designed for the job so are not made with electrical interference in mind. usually a road engine has some sort of suppressor? to stop this from happening. i know the older cars with mechanical points had it for sure.

it could also be the servo itself, does the servo for the rudder also glitch?

Hi there I've put a wiper snippet motor in a boat I was given brought all new r/c gear wich is all working fine, however once I start the engine the servos spin and I loose all control at any revs above idle!! Any hot tips would be greatly appreciated?

Don't rule out the possibility of vibration causing a receiver problem. It is always a good idea to try to minimize vibration to your receiver. I use foam blocks to protect my receiver.

Lee

Bingo^. You may also have some metal on metal vibrations going on. That will cause interference for sure.

More than likely it's the plug as it's not a resistor plug. Look for an "R" in the plug number. Next would be the radio system itself. Use an FM system at the minimum, a 2.4 Gig is better though. Lastly, it could be metal-to-metal rubbing from the exhaust to the drive cable. That again goes back to a bad radio system.

I've got an idea that you picked up one of those Exceed or eBay specials that come with a bottom-of-the-line AM radio and the cheapest parts possible.
Also I'm suspecting that you're from Oz as nobody up here in the US says Whipper-Snipper.

Last edited:
Back