Paint stops working after 1 coat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addict Rc

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I’m painting my new proline body for my slash and my Traxxas paint can stops working after 1 coat now I’m pissed I just spent $16 for a paint can that only did 1 coat and stops working there’s still paint in there what happend?

Aw, snap. Hate when that happens. Did you shake the can well before applying paint? Did you try inverting the paint can and pressing the paint button to let the propellant clear the nozzle?

Sometimes placing the paint can in a pan of heated water will warm the can, thin the paint and increase the pressure in the can by expanding the propellant. That will work to clear the internal pipe and/or nozzle. Providing this information with the proviso that this must be done with care and not too hot a water. Certainly not water on the boil.

For what it's worth, my rattle can paint jobs use Tamiya spray paints exclusively. They seem to work best for me. 'AC'

This is why I keep spare nozzles from empty cans. I occasionally had a few plugged ones from Pactra.

Warm water is a great tip.

Traxxas has pretty good customer service, I would contact them. They sent me exhaust nipples when I called them asking for a part number.

Aw, snap. Hate when that happens. Did you shake the can well before applying paint? Did you try inverting the paint can and pressing the paint button to let the propellant clear the nozzle?

Sometimes placing the paint can in a pan of heated water will warm the can, thin the paint and increase the pressure in the can by expanding the propellant. That will work to clear the internal pipe and/or nozzle. Providing this information with the proviso that this must be done with care and not too hot a water. Certainly not water on the boil.

For what it's worth, my rattle can paint jobs use Tamiya spray paints exclusively. They seem to work best for me. 'AC'
Thanks for the help I’ll try
This is why I keep spare nozzles from empty cans. I occasionally had a few plugged ones from Pactra.

Warm water is a great tip.

Traxxas has pretty good customer service, I would contact them. They sent me exhaust nipples when I called them asking for a part number.
They told me to put the nozzle in paint thinner and didn’t even try to offer me new nozzle or new paint then they said have a good day

inverting the can and spraying a bit will keep the nozzle clear. Soaking in paint thinner will probably work. I save a few nozzles for old cans once they are empty.

So I’m painting my new proline body for my slash and my Traxxas paint can stops working after 1 coat now I’m pissed I just spent $16 for a paint can that only did 1 coat and stops working there’s still paint in there what happend?
I got a can of trx black as backer and color, whole can (3.5 oz) of paint later and its still mostly translucent.

It sounds like a jammed nozzle, since you got one coat out of it. My best advice for the future is to invert the can and spray upside down until clear gas comes out after each coat.
When this happens, I try to remove the nozzle. If you use a sewing needle to try to clean/ bore the nozzle, then try it out before hitting the model again. Like the other ideas about warming and increasing pressure. I can't remember the best thinner/cleaner. Maybe it's thinner, acetone, or mineral spirits.
If it seems to have run out of propellant (I think it happened to me once), then talk to your retailer. They are more likely to care about your plight. The gas could have excaped and left the liquid paint.
If you do have to wait for a replacement can, remember to keep the model clean until the respray. It doesn't hurt to wash it gently once more, very little soap, very light scrub, but do make sure it is dry before proceeding. Dab up excess water, and use a hair dryer to dry.

With rattlecans, shake them pretty good, then turn them upside down overnight. Shake them rigorously for a good minute before using the first time. Then, every time you use it, shake it a good 30 seconds or so. What probably happened is the paint separated from sitting on the shelf for awhile, and you started spraying thick goop up the straw inside the can. Never spray before shaking really well to prevent this.

Plus, don't forget between coats, and storing the can, to invert and spray until clear gas comes out to clear the nozzle.
I never do that myself because sometimes the can runs out of pressure before you get all the paint out. I have cans that are at least 6 years old that still spray just fine. I just used one that was 6 years old to clear coat our Deadbox build.