paint inside or outside

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
on these body's we buy, they are clear - do we paint the inside or the outside of them?

Mark Bryan has some good body painting videos as well. This vid shows trimming, applying the window masks, etc. He does his masks just like I do which makes it really easy. Except on the windshield and rear masks I remove about a 1/8" strip of the backing down the middle of the windows. Cut one side of the backing, peel it off, trim 1/8", and put the backing back on leaving the gap. I think that makes it a lot easier.

Oh, and as far as inside or outside, some tricks you can do is for anything on the car you want to have a dull finish, you can spray some flat clear on that area on the outside of the body. It makes for a simple but cool effect.

Clear lexon paint inside. And I always add a clear coat. After to it to protect the paint. As well. You don't have to but helps protect your paint job. And when completely done don't forget to pull off the plastic over spray protection.

inside. but I have seen bodies painted on the outside. about 10 seconds b4 they have scratch marks on them.

Last edited:
pretty cool but far too fast for my pea brain to absorb
Inside, with polycarbonate paint. Homedepot and wally world paint will chip and flake.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6EFC1586EAA7BEDB

Mark Bryan has some good body painting videos as well. This vid shows trimming, applying the window masks, etc. He does his masks just like I do which makes it really easy. Except on the windshield and rear masks I remove about a 1/8" strip of the backing down the middle of the windows. Cut one side of the backing, peel it off, trim 1/8", and put the backing back on leaving the gap. I think that makes it a lot easier.

Oh, and as far as inside or outside, some tricks you can do is for anything on the car you want to have a dull finish, you can spray some flat clear on that area on the outside of the body. It makes for a simple but cool effect.
That was slower for my pea brain

Last edited:
I plan to modify an already painted body, it was painted inside, it’s an older body, I do not have window masking templates - any hints or tricks to mask them off?

I plan to modify an already painted body, it was painted inside, it’s an older body, I do not have window masking templates - any hints or tricks to mask them off?
Blue painter tape. Better yet green frog tape...or Vaseline

paint outside the show the slide marks aka skid marks

Tape and trim with a SHARP NEW Xacto blade.

You can paint the outside of the body. Give it a light sanding with extra fine sandpaper. Wash it with warm soapy water and let dry. Then hit it with a coat of Acrylic primer, let dry 24 hours then hit it with the color of choice. The key is to use Acrylic paint, it will flex with the body and not crack and flake off. Let color dry 24 hours the add an acrylic clear coat, available in matte or gloss finishes, gives it an extra layer of protection.

Now this is not bullet proof, it will still get scuffs and scrapes because it is on the exterior. But it does hold up pretty well. I repainted my Mojave on the exterior and it has taken some abuse, and only has minor scuffing.
IMG_20200905_221023298_HDR.jpg

You can paint the outside of the body. Give it a light sanding with extra fine sandpaper. Wash it with warm soapy water and let dry. Then hit it with a coat of Acrylic primer, let dry 24 hours then hit it with the color of choice. The key is to use Acrylic paint, it will flex with the body and not crack and flake off. Let color dry 24 hours the add an acrylic clear coat, available in matte or gloss finishes, gives it an extra layer of protection.

Now this is not bullet proof, it will still get scuffs and scrapes because it is on the exterior. But it does hold up pretty well. I repainted my Mojave on the exterior and it has taken some abuse, and only has minor scuffing.
View attachment 134293
I would even say a wet sand might be better for this situation...

View attachment 134293
Looks awesome man 👍👍

Agreed. :thumbs-up: just try not to damage your window masks in the process.
100%agreed with that one as well sir👍👍 tape them off before sanding to prevent and mishaps...
That matte clear coat is pretty sweet Doom.. I like that who makes it do you remember or all companies make it these days???
I think my next paint job will be a matte finish. On my X new body when I get it..

I can't remember which brand I used on that one, but you can find matte clear acrylic in a few major brands. Also cool when you make matte patterns on a gloss finish.

Great tips above. One thing I do is back the inside with black especially on crawlers. Seeing white or the color of the body from underneath is just awful. I you are backing with white to get light colors to pop just do another step back the white with black.

If it were me, Id scrub the existing paint off using Dot3 brake fluid and once i had the body cleaned up Id use blue painters tape and an xtaco knife to make my own window masks.

Actually its a combination or soaking and scrubbing with a brillo pad, steel wool etc. Its alot of work but you can reuse a lid like that. Wont look like a brand new paint job but it will look plenty good for a basher body.

If it were me, Id scrub the existing paint off using Dot3 brake fluid and once i had the body cleaned up Id use blue painters tape and an xtaco knife to make my own window masks.

Actually its a combination or soaking and scrubbing with a brillo pad, steel wool etc. Its alot of work but you can reuse a lid like that. Wont look like a brand new paint job but it will look plenty good for a basher body.
If you've got the patience to do this, it's a good way to go, I am too lazy myself. 🤣

Try Super Clean from Walmart. If you can get enough of it to submerge an area of the body, it might work. It strips chrome from plastic parts in no time. It completely dissolves it back down to bare plastic.

Screenshot_20211003-162142_Chrome.jpg

Try Super Clean from Walmart. If you can get enough of it to submerge an area of the body, it might work. It strips chrome from plastic parts in no time. It completely dissolves it back down to bare plastic.

View attachment 134301

Wish i would have had this stuff the time I used acetone to strip the chome off of two sets of Savage wheels so i could dye them. Ill never do that with acetone again. 🤢🤢🤢