paint fail

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohr

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I painted my new body with some plastic spray paint
It worked and looked great for about a week and then after hitting a jump I noticed the paint was falling off the car

Wrong paint dude ,you need paint designed for lexan rc shells/bodies any lhs sells this

transmited from a mobile communications device

How did u prep the body. If its not 100% clean you will have issues. I use whatever paint that is in the color I'm looking for and never had issues with paint pealing. Have never used lexan paint.

I washed the body with some dawn then rinsed it out and rinsed it out again.

I heard from some one that you should scratch the inside of the body and then paint it and it is supposed to stick better
does that actually work

I will usually prep with a mix of dishsoap and either an SOS pad or scotchbrite. Ill do this process 2X rinse really well, dry with a hairdryer, and paint away. Most people will tell you to only use lexan paint as it is made to flex and bend with the body. Others may have tried different paints but I would imagine that most of those bodies have eventually developed leprosy. The paint will loosen up and eventually fall off

I've always used dish soap and a wash cloth 2 times ,dry well,and use the lexan paint,never had a problem with this method ,numerous crashes that crush the lid and no cracks in the paint

I also wash the lid after scuffing it with a scratch pad. I then use paint for lexan and have never had a chip.

I've never scuffed mine. I just wash them with a lil dish soap and water and then paint. Then again I dont typically run my painted shells either.

I've never scuffed any bodies. Dawn first, then a good rinse with hot tap water, wiped dry then another wipe with 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol.
Just for future reference, Krylon spray paint works on Lexan and is readily available in any hardware store, Walmart, Lowe's, etc.

ya i have actually been backing my paint jobs with Krylon Fusion and works great.I only had one problem on a body, it was the proline 72 Chevy. Only thing i can figure is i put on way to many and to thick of coats because it only took one bad jump and it was missing a piece about the size of a half dollar.Now i put on as little as possible of Pactra and back it with the fusion and it holds up really well.

I've never scuffed any bodies. Dawn first, then a good rinse with hot tap water, wiped dry then another wipe with 91% rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol.
Just for future reference, Krylon spray paint works on Lexan and is readily available in any hardware store, Walmart, Lowe's, etc.

Krylon for plastic or all of the different kinds will work?

I've used the Krylon Fusion in thin coats as a backer with no problems. This is the one that I thought I would have problems with but didn't:

DSC000051.jpg

How flexible is the krylon? Does it withstand landings on the lid?

hotrodbob said:
How flexible is the krylon? Does it withstand landings on the lid?

Obviously it works great. It's the paint of choice if you don't have airbrushes and live too far from a hobby shop.