Paint Experiment?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
Do you ever try something out before you actually paint your car?? I have an idea in mind, but would like to play around with it before I paint a body.
I thought about using a plastic bottle just to get a feel for the look….

Do you ever try something out before you actually paint your car?? I have an idea in mind, but would like to play around with it before I paint a body.
I thought about using a plastic bottle just to get a feel for the look….
You can find polycarbonate sheets to practice/experiment on. Unfortunately the only thing I can find on Amazon is a 25 pack which is a bit pricey and probably way more practice sheets than you need. Maybe check out eBay or some other sources for smaller packs. Amazon used to have 8 packs that I've bought in the past but those are no longer available on there.

A 2 liter bottle works just fine.

If you want to see how color change paint works on a body, you can get some speed shapes.
single_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products...OC9KYE8dysvmzb1Rg5X9WGljMy55HjscaAgBbEALw_wcB

definitely Don’t need the 25 pack, what are they used for?

I may try a soda bottle, ya think Dr. Pepper would work?

Bought a 5 pack of the above sheets and cut them into 4’s
What I did was:
1 layer of clear
Sprinkled glitter directly After clear
2 coats of tamiya smoke color
2 coats silver on 1/2
2 coats fluorescent green on other 1/2
1 coat of white
I was using a piece of paper to cover the grey/silver side when spraying the green, which clearly hadn’t dried fully. It stuck and pulled up the paint, which I just hit with silver again

Overall thought the results were neat, albeit far from perfect. I’ll keep messing with it….

BBE15514-B3B2-48A9-934F-58CB8F29E095.jpeg

the glitter looks like it did not apply evenly.
I have used Tamiya PS53 LAME SPRAY as a first coat before color. It adds a glitter type effect, with multiple colors of flake. This reminds me of the Metal Flake gel coats that were used on 1:1 fibreglass boats.

The silver you did fine. For the green, you need to do a translucent green coat, then flake, then silver backer. That is the order if spraying on the inside of a shell. On 1:1 cars, it's silver paint, flake, then colored candy coat. Not a colored back coat.

Yeah, the silver looks better and the glitter is definitely uneven. The glitter is also awfully course, but I was rolling with what I had on hand.
I do want to try a translucent color at some point as well….

I’ve only ever used the Tamiya spray paints (rattle can). Any recommendations on other brands to try?

How about liquid mask?

Tamiya is the only rattle can brand I've ever used as well. Most of my stuff I paint with my airbrush and Parma Faskolors or Createx Wicked line.

I’ve only ever used the Tamiya spray paints (rattle can). Any recommendations on other brands to try?

How about liquid mask?

The Duratrax polycarb paint works really well and comes in a slightly larger can than Tamiya.

The Duratrax polycarb paint works really well and comes in a slightly larger can than Tamiya.
Yeah, ordering Tamiya spray paint online at $10/can makes you feel like someone kicked you right square in the plums when you see how small the cans are. And you can barrly get a 1/10 body sprayed with s single can. That was the reason I bought an airbrush.

I think airbrushing would be ideal, but I don’t paint enough to justify it. I watched a video on a cordless setup that was pretty cool…
I may try the dura trax or traxxas paints (traxxas comes in a bigger can also)

do you guys use or ever try liquid mask?

Liquid mask is good for masking off large complex areas, and for creating designs. You have to come back and cut the design through the paint mask, which can be tricky to cut through the mask, but not into the body.

Any liquid mask should be fine. Just put it on evenly, and put about 3 coats on, waiting on the previous coat to become clear before applying the next coat.