OS 18 cv-r on a HPI rs4 Nitro MT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just thought I'd post a thread of the newest member of my family. I've done a fistfull of things to it since I bought it off another member. But tonights upgrade was a brand new OS 18! I'm not sure if I'll be able to break it in tomorrow or not, it's only supposed to get up to 35 out... I bought hand warmer packets to wrap around the engine, but I still don't know if I'll try...

Anyway, here's a shot of it:
2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-01.JPG

I took many more, but I have movies to watch with the wife, so they will have to wait. If you notice, there's a layer of steel under the engine on the chassis. This was added last month to add rigidity to the chassis and minimize flex of the spur/engine mesh. It worked out pretty good, but considering I did it on my dining room table, it took awile.

Also, on the truck, I'm using UE SuperMaxx shocks and better clutch bearings than the wierd needle bearing that came on it.

Lucky bastard..LOL Action shots!!!! You are Dr Frankenstein!!!

Looks good. That truck is going to throw some rooster tails now.

Hmmm Lets see ( and I thought "I" was bad with steeling parts off other rides...)

- Ofna buggy shocks
- On road Bumper
- .18 engine (with .12 header and pipe)
- Some weird thing with a clamp on it where the receiver/steering servo might be

....Frankenstein it is!!! LOL just messin.

Actually I've been thinking of doing this very same thing now that the OS.18 CVRX is under $100 at Tower. I would def need a faster/stronger steering server and prolly add a couple teeth to the spur to tame some of that HP.

robriguez said:
- Some weird thing with a clamp on it where the receiver/steering servo might be

Hey robriquez, I think that is a battery pack, lol.

Olds, loose that pipe and header, especially that header. They will hurt the performance of that new OS more than you can even imagine.

Forgot about the bumper... it a xxx-nt RPM bumper. It saved me so many times when I had my xxx-nt, so I bought one and modified it to fit.

I know the pipe and header are crap, but I could only afford the engine right now.

The clamp thing is a battery pack. I've found that zip ties just don't hold up to the abuse I put on my trucks. The battery pack is one of 4 that I made out of 2100Mah NiMH AA's.

I'm also going to end up getting the slipper setup instead of the crappy spur gear w/o a slipper. But, that will be more necessary once spring comes around again and I actually can get some traction.
Here's a few more for all of you to critisize. ;)

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-Exhaust01.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-Front.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-Rear.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-RearLeft.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-RearRight.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-RearRightEngine.JPG

2004-1217-NitroMTWithOS18-Reciever.JPG

And a couple of my savage with my nmt:
2004-1217-SavageAndNMTBodyOff.JPG

2004-1217-SavageAndNMTBodyOn.JPG

ANyone think poorly of this pipe/header? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000426515&I=LXAXR2&P=K

Not bad at all for $25. Got to be better than what your running.

Well, I ended up running it. The had warmers kept the engine at 80 degrees (it was 32F out). I ran 5 tanks through before my fingers hurt... would have ran more, but I broke stuff. Snapped off a front wheel.

I'll have to wait on the header and pipe. I just bought new wheels and tires yesterday for it. RPM Claws (white) and Losi step pins (red compound).

With the stock tires, I couldn't get the power to the ground. All 4 tires would just spin on dry pavement and then I'd loose it.

You broke the wheel? Or was it the c-hub?

C-hub... wasn't it you that told me they were weak?

I remounted my shocks. I drilled a small hole in the arm itself in a spot that looked really strong to take the pressure off the c-hub. I haven't run it much since then... too cold. I ran a tank through, but only one and it was prior to the new tires and on a fress 1/4 inch of snow... powerslides RULE!

Ya, that was me. LOL Glad to hear you got it sorted out, you should be OK mounted to the arm now. Olds youve got a good mill there, I'm very impressed with mine on my MAXX, when shes all dialed in your gonna need to install that slipper or your gonna eat the driveline. Especially with the new shoes and the shock setup.

I also bought HPI's teflon shoes instead of the stock ones. I was chewing up the stock ones pretty bad. I'm used to getting a few gallons or more out of a clutch. At the rate I was going, the NitroStart 15 was tearing up the shoes in less than a quart of fuel. I took it apart and sanded them down/cleaned them up prior to break in, but that was friday night as I installed the new engine. Then I tore it apart Saterday to look at the shoes and they weren't that bad yet, but I only ran 5 tanks with the OS, one of which was on a stand. So, I bought the teflon ones yesterday and installed them in hopes that they will last longer.

I'm running that RadRC 4 shoe I got from you on mine, the teflon will hook better and may last a while on the light chassis but that OS has some mad lowend.

How's that thing working out for you? It didn't work to well on a 21 maxx...

I shouldn't have to many problems since it's winter and most of the time, your wheels are spinning anyway. With the savage sitting pretty (nothing to really work on), the Li'l MT is becoming a cheap project truck. A few key mod's and it will be pretty durable.

I've run about 10 tanks so far, hooks good, I havnt tore it down yet to inspect it? I assume alls fine. Seemed like a good 1/10 scale set up!

OK Youve convinced me. POWER SLIDES!!!! Awesome!!!!

I think this will have to present#2 I buy for myself this holiday.