Os 15 Cv-rx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bash_N_Thrash

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Thinking about getting one of these...
OS 15 CV-RX w10C slide carb.
OS 15 CV-RX w10C Slide Carb.jpg

I have an older style T-Maxx with the OS .15 CV-X and love it. Nothings wrong with it, but I thought since this engine is almost twice the HP it might give me a bit more speed and power.
I have a couple questions however:
1. Will my 10 ER carb from my CV-X fit if I wanted to use it?
2. Is a slide carb better for bashing than a rotary carb?
3. Will the exhaust set up transfer right over?
4. Any other tips for installing this engine?
5. Price is $111.00.. Good deal? Seems great since I bought my CV-X for $129.99.
Thanks in advance for any helpfull information.

111.00 is a great price. I assume that it is new?
You could use your old card off the CV-X, or you can convert your T to handle the slide. It would require buying a kit and drilling one hole in your chassis. Slide carbs are a little smoother, but I don't know if for bashing it makes much of a difference. I do know that with the slide, the new linkage will be easier to set up than the old linkage.

i run that exact engine without a pull start in my ntc3 - the thing is a rocket!!!! doubt me? ask nitromaniac - i got him going crazy as to why mine is so much faster than his. get it, and you have gone to heaven

111.00 is a great price. I assume that it is new?

Yes. Also the description says that the "R" series now come with full OS warranty. I was thinking I would get the Traxxas slide carb bellcrank with it. Its like $3 and will accept some 5x8 bearings I have laying around. Should be smooth. I really hadnt considered getting a new engine as I am very pleased with my CV-X but for the price I think what the heck!

bash - u will be amazed - remember - the CVR model puts out exactly TWICE the HP of the CV series.

If I get it should I break it in with my Hardcore Mutant head on or with the stock head it comes with? Also, on my CV-X I broke it in according to OS' manual and suggestions from reading forums. It runs like a champ, fires up with 1-3 pulls and runs all day. I have about 2.5 gallons through it now. I was reading about the "Bess" method and it sounds like it might be a good alternative to factory procedure. Thanks for the input.

OS Engines are some of the best designed engines in the world! no need for alternate heads, the stock one will work just fine!

hey bash i have that exact motor on an onroad RS4 and let me tell you the thing flies, after a few minor tunes that thing will always start easy and run reliable. Thats also a good price i paid 124 a few months ago.

Bash...
One quick note. I have that exact same engine retrofitted into my old style Maxx. So I have gone where you are going. If you can, get the OS .15 CV-RX(S). That has a shorter crank so you won't have to cut it to get the engine to fit. Other than cutting the crank, mine fit in just fine. I used the stock engine mount and my Duratrax/Associated exhaust. I also used the slide carb bellcrank that the Maxx 2.5 uses and modified my linkage to suit. It's not all that hard. I'm sure if you look on e-bay you can find a 2.5 linkage really cheap.

Great price, great mill & make use of that slide carb... I will never use a rotary carb again.... 2 words.....
THROTTLE RESPONSE

Sweet!!! Good to know that the conversion is easy I ordered the engine from Tower, and I picked up the Traxxas Bellcrank while I was at it. Tower had the engine in the daily sale for $110.57. I could have got the "S" version but it was $139.99 (still a good price) and cutting my older CV-X shaft was very easy so I thought I would save a few duckets and cut it myself. Thanks for the input you guys rock!!

Stupid thing gets cheaper everday. Bought it for $110, looked at it yesterday (10/1/03) and it was like $108, and today its down to $107. Maybe if I would have waited 110 day it would have been free. Ya think?:rolleyes: hehehe.

Should I break it in with the stock head or my Harcore Mutant head? I'm thinking stock, but want opinions. Thanks.

I would consider leaving the engine stock until after break in. I have the same engine in my Maxx and I have never had an issue with temps using the stock head.

Hey nitroaddict! I will trade you my brand new starter box(with batts and charger) for a brand new slide carb for my os15cv-rx cmon sparky find me one!

the govenor is right! no more rotary carbs for me!

Back